Travelers Reviews in Saint Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Saint Paul, MN

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Claims demands make work life balance a challenge (in 74 reviews)

• Upper management seems disorganized and communication is not trickled down well (in 48 reviews)

1. "Fixed Income Associate Analyst"

Current Employee - Fixed Income Associate Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Fixed Income Associate Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Travelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is phenomenal. Everyone genuinely cares about you and wants you to learn.

Cons

St. Paul is a bit boring. Thankfully St. Paul is near Minneapolis.

"Micromanage and not diverse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Stable company

Cons

It was not until I found work elsewhere with another large company that I realized how they do not hire many minorities. I am not a minority. Micromanagement is the norm. A lot of IT department is going offshore. I ran for my life. I am not an older employee but they tend to lay off those with many years with the company. Very difficult to watch this happen. Always thought of my parents when I saw someone with 25+ years lose their job.

Advice to Management

You would be able to keep more talented younger people if you would stop with the micromanaging. My new job does not micromanage and everyone works very hard. This is not the 60's anymore where workers are loyal no matter what. This company needs to get into the 21 century when it comes how they manage their employees. Talented people will go elsewhere unless the enjoy being treated like a child. . Don't pretend to be diverse when you are way behind other companies with hiring minorities. All talk and no action with diversity. A lot of management are unfriendly and uncaring. Those in management who are decent are scared to try and change things.

3. "Great company to be at!!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Travelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was so friendly & welcoming!!

Cons

Had 1 phone & 2 face-to-face interviews 😱. Three is just too many! Nerve wrecking

Advice to Management

Keep up the friendliness & professionalism 👍🏽

"Good Benefits, Extremely Boring Job"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The PTO is 22 days starting including sick days (this is what made me, and I believe others, stay longer than they normally would if contemplating finding another job) and about 9 paid holidays.

Medical benefits (copay is somewhat high if you have a reason that requires you to see a doctor multiple times within one month on an Account Manager salary)

Stable and trusted company

The IT "systems" employees are fast and efficient when you have a problem you just call the number and they usually know the remedy.

Was given a sit stand desk (but it took months to receive because of red tape getting doctors note, custom order, etc.. I thought it would never come but one day it was there) this made me feel valued as an employee because they are expensive.

Flexible work schedule. You can typically start anytime between 7:00am and 9:00am as long as you come in consistently at the same time and work for 8.5 hours (includes 30 minute lunch, 9 hours if you take a one hour lunch).

This job has a salary but you are an hourly employee. This is a great way to get overtime (if you had a salary you would not get overtime) but I almost always worked 40 hour weeks. Overtime is usually only granted if you have a large workload that needs attention. Some employees are notorious for coming in every now and then on Saturday's but you can get the job done in a 40 hour work week typically. Also, if you want to take a day off and use your PTO, even if it is the same week as you are asking, the manager usually approves this as long as you find someone to back you up for urgent items when you are out of the office. My department was really good at backing each other up when out of the office.

Understanding of major life events, such as if a health crisis occurs, as long as you follow the required protocol. Following the protocol (especially of a disability health insurance company) as well as of your company can be overwhelming when you are going through a health or family crisis but it is also a huge relief to know that you have this insurance and work for a company that offers such a generous policy. I also met multiple people who have left Travelers for one reason or another and return to work for the company later in their career.

Discounts for gyms, cell phone if you are the primary account holder, various music and theatre events (partial to large campus in St. Paul and Hartford I believe), hotels, etc..

Travelers choir group and other activity groups. Diversity clubs offer various thought- provoking and inspirational speakers as well as leadership opportunities. Gym on site but you have to pay for it. Massage therapist on site for pay.

Cons

The Account Manager job is very repetitive and boring. You may be pulling the same report 25 + times per day for weeks on end while also needing to rate, quote, propose or issue different policies within your territory. Each account has multiple policies that all require different ways to rate, quote, propose and issue within different systems. Knowing every nuance for each type of policy within every system and website used to complete supplementary work, along with each state an account is located in has different nuances on top of this in multiple facets, can be very overwhelming. An extremely organized, concrete-linear thinking person is a good fit for this job but I am more on the creative abstract-thinking side and know this is why I was never able to fully engage or get into the work.

All work is monitored through a "transaction manager" that you update; however the system can make errors or work can be transferred incorrectly (for example, "service" aka the workers in India that are gradually taking over Account Manager responsibilities are people that you transfer a task to complete may not complete the task in time and you have to keep checking to make sure it is completed or you are responsible when managers look at your "numbers" aka stats) and many employees keep track of their work through their own personal excel sheet because of the risk that the "transaction manager" does not list an account assigned to you. However, management does not want you to use additional tracking on your own excel sheet because "transaction manager" is so highly endorsed from the top. Your manager reviews your "transaction manager" scores and judges your work from this system but cannot say which account was late or backup the numbers. You can email your manager on why "transaction manager" made a mistake or if an insurance agent (client) was the reason for a specific late work but I do not really know the point of this. My manager must have received over 50 emails a day and how do they keep track of all of these emails from their subordinates when there are more pressing issues to deal with? Seemed semi-pointless to email an excuse for why "transaction manager" is wrong to me when the manager still takes your "numbers" as is. Also your "year-to-date" numbers can haunt you if you mess up and are hard to get back up so try to get all work in on time. I was not aware how important getting all work in on time was in the beginning of my time at Travelers because some well respected co-workers had a lot of red (aka late work) so I did not think it was very serious to have some late work. However, they had larger territories (aka more work that month). I wish that trainers and managers would emphasize how important on time work is in the beginning of your time at Travelers (and each trainer and manager is different, you may luck out and have a great one or a horrible one) instead of acting so relaxed or just simply not saying anything about this at all until it is too late to make yourself look good. Certain work needs to be completed a certain amount of days before a policy is renewed and this was not even communicated to me. Yikes, glad I finally figured it out. Sorry to write so much on this topic but "transaction manager" is a topic that many employees have issues with and hopefully the kinks will be worked out within the next few years. It takes awhile for changes due to red tape.

There are so many differences between states (the state that each account is issued in has different requirements aka insurance forms added or removed manually or different tools to run that are input for renewal; and your territory includes multiple states for those out there not familiar with insurance) and computer systems that you must memorize and once you figure a system out they usually change it.

You can't work from home but your boss can. A couple times my coworkers wrote that they were "working from home" on their status. They were obviously working from home to accommodate a doctors appointment, sick child, whatever it may be, but I was told that working from is never aloud from my boss. This made me feel very devalued as an employee because it is favoritism that was never addressed. I was lied to about it. Work accommodations are confidential but when it comes to working from home the entire department needs the same policy. Employees from other departments have also worked from home but each manager makes their own rules. However, do not expect to work from home at all if you are an Account Manager. Account Executives, aka Underwriters, have more freedom to work from home but they also have sales goals to meet and are not hourly employees.

There is a separation between Account Managers, aka Underwriting Assistants, and Account Executives, aka Underwriters. Some Underwriters act like they are above the Account Managers who do SO much work for them. However, some Underwriters are great. Just be aware of this unprofessionalism at times. It can make you feel small if you make a mistake but we are all human and most of us all have the same four-year degrees (not that that even matters).

I was told that there are advancement opportunities but if you decide that insurance is boring and dry or do not want to commit to a developmental program offered (the leadership program requires one year of living out of state for a rotation and takes four years to complete the program) you are kind of stuck as an Account Manager. It is unclear how to become a Senior Account Manager. There was only one in my department who had been there over 10 years. It seems very much up to the manager. I am also not sure how you would jump from Account Manager to unit manager. Seems unrealistic to me.

Coworkers, peers and Underwriters, will watch your every move and report to your manager any slip ups. This may be a passive aggressive trait specific to Minnesota or may be just how corporate life is. This creates internal friction and a distrust within the workplace.

Biggest con of all: was trained by a trainer from a different department with different procedures to complete work! This was only because my new manager was trying to create "emersion" between two departments that he managed. He did not work in business insurance at his previous role at Travelers and must not have understood that our departments were so different otherwise he would have understood he was setting my up for failure. This also may have happened because our department was understaffed and too busy to train or sometimes answer questions.

Typical of any large business, but SMALL cubicles! When I first started they were on the small size but got reduced to an even smaller size (I believe 6x4 feet) after renovations. I would have to move my trash can almost into the aisle when I wanted use my desk as standing so there would be room for my chair to move backwards. Account Executives have slightly larger cubicles, and typically closer to windows. Managers have closed doors but typically in the middle of the floor with no windows to the outside.

Never received a pay increase/bonus or even an annual inflation increase. This is never discussed. It would be an incentive to know what you could personally do in order to increase your chances of earning one. However, maybe you receive the same pay forever. I will never know.

Advice to Management

If managers that managed Account Managers knew more about the Account Manager role, and I am sure some do but mine did not because he had no experience in Business Insurance, this would create more understanding and achievable goals between management and subordinates.

If there is an issue with your manager it is unclear who to discuss it with. The managers have a lot of power but we can all improve. If your manager does not respond to your emails repeatedly it is okay but if you don't comply with something it is not okay? It should be a two way street and there needs to be a checks and balances system for managers so they can improve and ensure that employees are being valued.

Understand how "transaction manager" works and communicate how important it is to get all work completed by specific dates for each task instead of saying nothing until it is time to review numbers.

Everyone is gone for a different time for lunch. Many people say they do not take their 15 minute break in the morning and afternoon and instead take an hour for lunch and clock it as gone for 30 minutes. Some people eat lunch at their desk (I am guessing they clock the 30 minutes gone and actually work that time because it is state law to take this break). This is more of just an FYI and grey area.

Do not interview someone in your halloween costume, even if it is halloween. My manager did this and I would have been offended or unable to concentrate if I was the interviewee.

If an employee is out on medical leave and emails an update, email them back promptly. As Account Managers we are expected to act with urgency and the employee may feel their job is in jeopardy when the boss doesn't respond for days, when in actuality he just is bad at prioritizing emails.

Find a way to provide free coffee to employees in the break rooms. This would be easy and many would appreciate this instead of spending money at the company Starbucks. It would also save time.

"Great Company for Actuaries!"

Current Employee - Actuary in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Actuary in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A big organization with a lot of roles, opportunities and great people. Very high value on actuaries and analytic expertise.

Cons

Big can sometimes mean slow; there can be a frustrating bureaucracy sometimes than has to be dealt with, especially when working between departments.

6. "Good Training but Limited Advancement"

Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

exceptional training and focus on personal development

Cons

Very limited career opportunity, particular for employees not located in Hartford.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of talk about inclusion. Make it real.

"Wonderful Company!"

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travelers is a great place to work. I've always felt supported in my career and development. I work with excellent people and enjoy the work that I do. They offer a great benefits package, too.

Cons

Although I do have the flexibility I need as a working mother, I would like more options for flexible working arrangements and more acceptability of part time schedules.

8. "Highly recommend, but be ready to work"

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Forward looking, great pay/benefits, supportive leadership, fantastic team members

Cons

Can be fast-paced, high stress

Advice to Management

Look for (and use) more employee friendly, cost-neutral incentives - casual work attire, flexible hours, etc.

9. "Great Internship for a Broad View of Corporate Finance"

Former Intern - FMLDP Intern in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Intern - FMLDP Intern in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Travelers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees at all levels were very willing to meet with you for informational interviews.

Cons

You don't get to pick which finance/accounting department you work for, instead they have a placement process.

"Politics aren't just in Washington!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Pay is competitive the first year when you are offered the position.
    - Advancement for Growth in the company if you want to be a manager or underwriter.

Cons

- No Annual Raises and or Incentives
    - Favoritism for raises and advancements only
    - Office Politics, hard to tell who to trust within in the company.
    - No Flexibility, a lot of micro-managing with Management.
    - A lot of Systems, and Manual Data Entry in multiple systems.

Advice to Management

- If an employee bring a concern and or an Idea for improvement to your attention, it should not be held against that individual.
    - Open Mind, and flexibility
    - Treating ALL Employees EQUALLY -No FAVORITES
    - Listening to your Employees
    - Care about your Employees wellness.
    - Have COMPASSION for your Employees, and they are Human beings with feelings and deserve to be treated with RESPECT.

Showing 77 of 1,778 reviews