Travelex Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 15, 2017

2.0
Anthony Wagerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work timings / Work- Life Balance (in 9 reviews)

• International well reputated company with good benefits and work environment (in 16 reviews)

1. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Memphis, TN

I worked at Travelex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many customers.Get paid time in a half on holidays.

Cons

Absolutely boring job. Managers are not on site. Can not leave the office to have lunch, long hours.

Advice to Management

Let your employees read books or do homework instead of locking them up in a box waiting on a customer

2. "TVX"

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Travelex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Currency discounts, nice people to work with

Cons

No room for growth, constant downsizing/ridding of positions, high turnover rate

3. "Part/Full time Sales Associate at Airport/Barton Creek"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

Extremely easy job- especially at the airport where you can go a whole shift only helping an average of 5 customers. Mall is a little busier. I enjoyed talking to the customers- people going on vacations are usually interesting to talk to. Also, don't have to worry about being micro-managed because you are pretty much on your own most of your shift. Great job for a college student, as you have tons of time to do homework!

Cons

Where to begin. Hours were absolutely terrible. When I got hired I was told I would have to work every-other weekend. I worked there about 6 months and ended out having to work 5:30am-8pm most Saturdays and Sundays because they refuse to make the people who have been there longest work weekends, even if it means making new employees work doubles on the weekends, and seem to always be short-staffed. Even when they didn't do that, they liked to switch my schedule to work at 5:30a 3 days a week and then start at 1 pm til 8 the other 2, so you could never regulate your sleep schedule. I only got one weekend off the entire time I was there, and that was because I took off over a month in advance, and even then almost didn't get off because they were so short-staffed. Also, one month after I started there I was told I was getting promoted from a part-time employee to full-time after another full-time worker left. Since I was working about 45 hours every week I didn't understand why six months later they still didn't make this switch (so I wasn't getting benefits) even though I discussed it with them weekly and they kept saying they were going to switch me. Pay is $11/ hr (you can make more working at a bank- and that's where most employees end out going to after they quit) Advancement opportunity is pretty much non-existent, but the little there is you would have to move to Dallas to manage multiple city's stores and be traveling half of the month to multiple store locations for low salary pay. Management was terrible when I was there and the store was full of gossip between employees and management, but I've heard management has since changed, but not much else.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees. Be straight-forward with them about hours, pay, and employment status(part-time/full-time) and maybe you won't have such high turnover.

4. "sales"

Pros

great company to work with for students

Cons

not a good job to work for the long run

5. "So so"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

Pros

good schedule, good benefits if you get to them, good starting pay rate, some days are slow and you still get your hourly wage.

Cons

management is too pushy, unrealistic sales goals, stressful and not OK as a long term career employer. not motivating enough.

Advice to Management

be more realistic about the sales targets and train your staff better otherwise they'll just continue to be unhappy.

6. "Good starter job"

I have been working at Travelex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, benefits even though they have trended down in recent years,

Cons

Very limited advancements, pay and pay merits,

Advice to Management

Strive to maintain positive employees by listening to their opinions.

7. "Not Great"

I worked at Travelex full-time

Pros

Had a great mentor until he left.

Cons

Company constantly being flipped, no stability or long-term vision.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give.

8. "Retail Service Representative"

Former Contractor - Retail Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Retail Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at Travelex as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the experience work experience. I learned a lot. I wish I could have worked there longer. Was really hoping that things would change. However, it just didn't work out that way. Just to let you know it's the World Bank Location that I'm talking about.

Cons

All of the employees are burnt-out from work overload. I tried to apply for several positions they would give it to newer employees. Don't come in there having a disability. If they like you they'll compromise if not you're out of luck.They like who they want to like. They always start arguments with me just so I'll get mad. Then if I tell the mgmt they don't care. Mgmt seem a little racist. Was very disappointed with my work experience.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and create a fun atmosphere. And ignoring your employees emails, text msg, and not keeping your word is unprofessional. My expectations of them were high but, now it's completely low for them. They're what you call a sad case.

9. "This job was a nice stepping stone which helped me further my career elsewhere."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Travelex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot of downtime where i focused on studying and furthering my career. You can learn all about Forex and currency trading markets.

Cons

not much room for growth within the company

Advice to Management

Be fair, and be nice to everyone.

10. "Great some days, some days not so much."

I have been working at Travelex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perfect for students as scheduling are very flexible.
    Provides various incentives plans for bonus opportunity.
    Able to meet and interact with various people from all over the world.

Cons

Lack of career / opportunity growth.
    One-man shifts and therefore causes problem with work-life balance.
    Long and boring when there are no customers.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunity for growth internally within the company. Communication improvement with employees and peers from various departments. Better turn-around response from any technical issues.