Travelex Reviews | Glassdoor

Travelex Reviews

Updated December 5, 2017

Anthony Wagerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work timings / Work- Life Balance (in 9 reviews)

• International well reputated company with good benefits and work environment (in 16 reviews)

Cons

1. "There is Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Travelex part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A positive experience for entry into financial services.

The opportunity to learn about currency and how it is obtained.

Bonus for meeting monthly sales goals.

Cons

Many customers feel ripped off by industry practices - It can make you feel bad about yourself.

Excessive time spent doing nothing. It becomes boring and shifts can go by slowly.

Low pay for industry: 11.50 per hour is lackluster which may explain why they have difficulty attracting better customer service professionals.

Some shifts start as early as 5:30am.

Advice to Management

Increase hourly wage, expand products and/or benefits for the customer, stop scheduling employees too early, and foster more interaction between employees.

2. "Easy, flexible work for a part-timer"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Travelex part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work and lots of downtime for small locations. Employees get discounts on currency that is almost same as the market rate. Lately, company has been coming up with new products and promotions which is making work more exciting.
    Flexible work schedule.

Cons

The currency rates are really bad, which makes it harder to keep customers. I wish corporate would make the rates more competitive so we can have more sales.
    I see my manager maybe twice a year (not really a complaint though, I like the freedom). Can get a little boring at times.

Advice to Management

Lower the exchange rates to be more competitive!

"Unique Company"

Former Employee - Risk Assurance
    Former Employee - Risk Assurance

I worked at Travelex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travelex is a unique company to work for, combining the retail and banking world into one dynamic MSB. The spirit is friendly and entrepreneurial, willing to take on new risks and adventures and see what lies around the corner. The people who work there are generally great, and I was able to develop long-lasting connections during my many years in various roles. They strive for excellency and work together globally as a team. It is not uncommon to report to a boss in another country, or be in regular communication with people from around the globe.

Cons

The pay is not excellent in many cases, however their willingness to train and advance employees as well as the unique opportunities afforded makes up for much of this. There are very limited opportunities for advancement though - you could be there several years before changing roles. There also tends to be a lack of communication when dealing with structural changes and possible role eliminations - these are sometimes not communicated until the last minute. Changes in vision sometimes come with the departure of many tenured employees, which can potentially make things more difficult in the long run.

Advice to Management

Loyalty to long-term, knowledegable employees might serve the company better in the long run.

4. "Good"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Travelex (Less than a year)

Pros

Good manager. The salary is pay on time. After you learn the procedure is an easy, entertaining and interesting job.

Cons

No opportunities to grow in the company. The payment is no enough for an employee who lives San Francisco or Bay Area.

5. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Licensing Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Licensing Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Travelex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A global foreign currency provider, strategically placed in major financial markets. Great environment to work. Associates are great and very supportive. Great resume builder.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Compensation.

6. "It was a good job."

Pros

No working on holidays.

Cons

Working in an airport.

7. "Salary"

Pros

Very flexible everyone that work there becomes family

Cons

Unorganized favoritism boring at times

8. "Temp"

Pros

Great people, interesting work, learn about all different currencies.

Cons

Most employees are through Staffing company with little benefits

Advice to Management

Hire on some of your team members that have been then for a while.

"Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Travelex full-time

Pros

Benefits, Incentives, co-workers, vacation time, flexible schedule (depending on location,staff and management)

Cons

Crappy rates, not enough workers, careless managers and low pay rate, and dead end job.

Advice to Management

Travelex can be a fun place but It depends on your manager, location and co-workers. Also you have to make it fun. For me, it use to be fun but now it isn't anymore.

This company has changed drastically. Management has cracked down on everyone. Sales, write ups and auditing. The company is even more frugal than ever.

Travelex wants you to sell more than ever which isn't bad for a company. But also, not good for the sales consultants either. The goals for each location have increased drastically. Every month is a new target that you must hit before your shift is over. You may not make that because A. It's a slow day or B. Customers don't want to pay that high rate. They'll shop somewhere else.

We lose sales everyday because the rates are either to high or too low. Even if we offer a discounted rate, they still rather go someplace else. I get cursed out for the rates that Travelex has. Even if I explain to them, the customer doesn't care. They want to save money not be ripped off.

The managers have a hands off approach to everything except sales.

You can't advance in the company because someone is already chosen for a future position. This place is a dead end. There is no growth.

10. "Sales consultant"

I have been working at Travelex part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, incentives work by yourself.

Cons

No room for moving up benifits suck!

Advice to Management

Need consistency with your employees