Travelocity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Dara Khosrowshahi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Incredibly intelligent people, excellent idea sharing culture, decent work-life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Friendly people, some interesting projects, work from home opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons

1. "Digital Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Mobile Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Mobile Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Travelocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly intelligent people, excellent idea sharing culture, decent work-life balance... these are just a few things that make Travelocity, and Expedia Inc., a truly motivating, positive work space. Of the four firms I've worked for to date, working for Travelocity has been the best experience for my career development and continued growth. I have learned so much, work with very talented, intelligent people, and absolutely love working in tech + travel!

Cons

I think compensation is an area of improvement, but the company's excellent benefit system somewhat makes up for this.

Aug 21, 2017 – Director, Marketing Communications

Thank you for the great feedback - especially on how your experience at Travelocity has been so good for your growth and development!

"Probably The Best Place I'll Ever Work"

I have been working at Travelocity full-time

Pros

I've been with Travelocity for more than a few years now and despite changing ownership and leadership teams multiple times, I know that this is going to be the best job I'll ever have. Reasons for that:
    1) Culture is one of collaboration and respect. People in the Dallas office are genuine, like each other (often becoming good friends), and don't try to undermine one-another to get ahead or anything like that. There are a couple bad apples (they likely came from the Expedia side in Seattle where politics abound) but the vast majority of people are just good people with good intentions who want to enjoy their work and balance that with their life.
    2) Flexibility - Expedia Inc does an excellent job with allowing employees flexibility to work remotely or from home when they need to. It's probably the most flexible place I've ever worked, and for that reason alone, it would be really tough to leave. Even if I was offered a lot more money.
    3) Travel - almost every non-entry-level job ends up with interesting opportunities to travel to cool cities in the US and often around the globe, given the global nature of the organization with offices in Europe, Asia and Australia.
    4) Benefits: Travel reimbursement (its not much but its nice!), great vacation policy, 3 months new parent leave for men and women (women also get additional leave for maternity recovery - I think it ends up being 4 or 5 months in total for them), and of course the natural travel benefits that come along with working for a travel company like discounts, IATA membership and frequent flier miles, etc.
    5) Career growth - for the most part, EI is pretty good about giving people opportunities to grow and be promoted. They aren't one of those companies that won't promote you unless you've been doing the job for a long time. They identify good talent and give them opportunities to grow into new roles.

Overall, this is a great place to work and I highly recommend it.

Cons

The biggest con is dealing with the politics of Expedia, but we mostly are able to stay out of it in the Dallas office. Politics and personalities abound in the Bellevue and London offices in particular. Just a very high amount of people doing whatever it takes to promote themselves internally and get more "territory." There are also a few bad leaders that get terrible employee reviews continually and nothing is ever done about it.

Advice to Management

Honestly? In Dallas - Keep doing what you're doing. And EI-wide, don't be afraid to get rid of bad leaders.

Jun 12, 2017 – Director, Marketing Communications

Thank you for your very thoughtful and honest review!

"Sr. Program Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Southlake, TX

Pros

Friendly people, some interesting projects, work from home opportunities

Cons

Lots of middle management and senior management was invisible. Constant change and fear of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Pick a course of action and stick to it.

4. "Great Company To Work For"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) The people - leadership (within the Travelocity business unit) cares deeply about employees futures, growth and does what they can to take care of them. Also - just good people - like a family.
    2) Flexibility - this is worth so much. Work/life balance better than any place I've been. The flexibility is so great and very much appreciated by employees.
    3) Generally good benefits, pay and location now that the business moved to Dallas. Fun office space (minus the open seating).
    4) Business is performing well after merger to Expedia.

Cons

1) Challenging business to work on - changes so fast, lots of competitors, little difference between them. Just a tough industry in general.

Sep 8, 2016 – Director, Marketing Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience - I think everyone agrees that the Travelocity team is like a family, which makes it a special place indeed! And yes, it is a challenging industry - but one that... More

5. "Travelocity - Sabre Corp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Travelocity (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, good team, nice campus, great brand, rewarding experience to be part of a turn around.

Cons

Lack of culture, no innovation, stagnant leadership results in no decisive decision making.

Mar 4, 2016 – Director, Marketing Communications

Thanks for taking time to leave a review. The great news is that now that we are post-acquisition, that great team and brand are still in place - but with a whole new focus and direction as part of... More

6. "Loved it here"

Current Employee - Senior Web Designer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Web Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Travelocity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked at Travelocity in the mid 2000s out of the NYC office. I was part of the Site59 team that was acquired by the travel giant. I loved it here and made life-long friends and at the time we were thriving. There is something about the travel space that brings together smart, cool people. Unfortunately there were so many inefficiencies and paralyzing politics coming out of headquarters that ultimately (and partially) lead to the company's downfall. Glad I exited gracefully when I did and didn't have to see it burn, as many of us saw it coming. It was a bittersweet experience and don't regret a thing.

Cons

Not a ton of room for growth unless you were in the Dallas HQ office.

Feb 15, 2016 – Director, Marketing Communications

There is definitely something about travel that brings people together - and I hope that you have found something as fulfilling since moving on. There is definitely a new spirit here at Travelocity... More

7. "Best Place to Work"

Pros

Smart folks
    Great team to work with
    welcoming ideas
    Flexible Schedule
    Importance to both personal and professional life
    Benefits
    Food Perks
    Travel Benefits

Cons

Nothing that im aware of

Jan 13, 2016 – Director, Marketing Communications

Thanks for the feedback - and along with agreement on Travelocity having a great team, I am fully on board with your listing of "food" as a favorite benefit!

8. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Travelocity full-time

Pros

Great company if you enjoy fast paced and challenging projects while maintaining a reasonable work/life balance. Excellent exposure to the latest technologies and methodologies in use in the travel industry.

Cons

career movement might be limited depending on location

"Great people, poor leadership"

Former Employee - IT Support Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Support Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Travelocity (More than a year)

Pros

-High quality product
    -Extensive and methodical training for new employees
    -Great working environment and coworkers
    -Wonderful managers

Cons

-Terrible corporate management
    -Lack of corporate communication to employees

Advice to Management

-Inform employees of changing work standards with an adequate time frame to adjust.

Oct 26, 2015 – Director, Marketing Communications

Thanks for your honest feedback. We have been working to address internal communications process - and with dedicated informational monitors in the new office space, regular inclusive town halls and... More

"Global Account Manager"

Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Travelocity (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team, worked together well, kept well informed with leadership at the end.

Cons

Poor leadership decisions in early 2000's eventually led to downfall

Advice to Management

too late for meaningful advice

Sep 29, 2015 – Director, Marketing Communications

Thank you for your open and honest feedback about your time at Travelocity. While the business has changed significantly since your time here, what hasn't changed is the great team that pulls... More