Travelocity Reviews | Glassdoor

Travelocity Reviews

Updated June 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work/life balance better than any place I've been (in 42 reviews)

• Friendly people, some interesting projects, work from home opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of middle management and senior management was invisible (in 5 reviews)

• One thing I forgot - don't even factor the bonus (if you are offered one) into your decision making (in 4 reviews)

1. "Left Hand Doesn't Know what the Right Hand is Doing"

Former Employee - Software Development Contributor in Southland, TX
    Former Employee - Software Development Contributor in Southland, TX

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Campus, Cafeteria, On Site Gym

Cons

No real training for new employees, no direction for employees, never could get access to systems that I needed to support

Advice to Management

Make sure a position is needed before hiring for it. It is necessary to provide new employees without any previous experience at the company direction and training. Expecting that a new employee will just "pick things up" is silly and sets the employee and the manager up for failure.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal General Accounting in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Principal General Accounting in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Travelocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fun to work with and work/life balance is great.

Cons

No clear directions from management

Advice to Management

Be more open to employees

3. "Going downhill."

Former Employee - Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Everything was great about working at Travelocity. I worked here for 8 years and wish I still did.

Cons

Everyone has lost or will lose their job working at Travelocity because the greedy get greedier and no one cares about people, only money. That is what the world has come to and Travelocity is just following in that path.

Advice to Management

None.

4. "Excellent Benefits"

Former Employee - Database Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Database Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel discounts, great management, motivated and honorable coworkers.

Cons

No office in Las Vegas, Nevada or travel discounts for former loyal employees.

Advice to Management

Open an office in Las Vegas, Nevada

5. "Great experience and amazing teams"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were good (401K match). Great team in the beginning.

Cons

Technology was lacking and morale diminished as we found out the fate of the company.

6. "A shadow of its former self"

Former Employee - Director in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Southlake, TX

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with and learn from smart, passionate people; a strong sense of team in certain department. The executive leadership team was fairly transparent about the challenges facing the company, holding frequent town halls and communicating via e-mail with updates on company performance. Employees at all levels enjoyed flexible work policies and excellent benefits package courtesy of its parent company, Sabre. There was a certain sense of pride working there because everyone knows the gnome, though given the business performance, the brand definitely punched above its weight.

Cons

I was inspired by working there early on, but with the constant bad news it became harder and harder to feel that way. Department leaders, with few exceptions, were constantly trying to figure out how to take cost out of the business and do more with less resources. Senior leadership at times seemed to avoid making some really tough decisions. There were seemingly nonstop goodbye happy hours, especially after the Expedia announcement, which really sucked the air out of the room. At one point I would have proudly recommended Travelocity to friends, but given their current market position and future prospects it's difficult to do so now.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately only a very few members of the management team are still there...

7. "It feels like home away from home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Travelocity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travelocity has been an amazing ride. I have met and learned from so many talented individuals here. Recognition program and perks for employees are there. The company values giving back to the community as much as it gives back to the employees! Management teams are consistently reviewed on their performance and are easy to approach.

Cons

When I look back on the last 10 years of OTA history I would say that Travelocity's Gnome was most noteable. Unfortunately, over the last year I would say that is not the case.

8. "Good people, bad technology!"

Former Employee - Front Line Agent in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Front Line Agent in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and salary were great for the area; a few good supervisors who seemed to care about you whether you were on their team or not; close-knit teams; co-workers who were extremely knowledgeable about the industry; great manager and assistant manager of the center!

Cons

Sick time off; attendance policy that rewarded good attendance and those who worked OT with flexible time off but if it was used, it hurt your attendance for the next quarter; upper management that hardly ever visited the office unless there was something big going on within the corporate structure of the company that would effect the "regular" employees; outdated and slow technology (which was actually more annoying than the other things mentioned previously); HR is a complete joke and does nothing but direct you to the company's internal website for employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management from corporate needs to make themselves more accessible and they need to visit more often (not just when there's bad news); some supervisors in the call center itself need to be more hands-on with their teams and less active in their personal conversations (and on Amazon), to say the least, even if the team "is so good they don't need much managing" leaving you with "not much to do;" hold those same supervisors accountable when they don't show up on time for the start of their shift (constantly 5-10 minutes late) or they don't deliver call reviews, monthly bonus reviews, etc.

9. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly, smart people, and interesting work.

Cons

Business decisions have moved product development jobs to Expedia.

Advice to Management

Don't give up -Travelocity is perceived well by the public.

10. "Decent company, but going down hill."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southlake, TX

I worked at Travelocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally good people to work with. Benefits from Sabre where great. Casual and very flexible with schedules and working from home.

Cons

Legacy systems, that are a maintenance nightmare. The worst part is the current instability with Expedia and Orbitz acquisitions. Developers should be wary.

Advice to Management

Be more open with employees. It's very clear that partnerships and sell-offs where in the works for a long time and the mass exodus of VP's implies they knew early on.