Travelport Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Travelport President, CEO, and Director Gordon A. Wilson
Gordon A. Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most departments will offer flexible working hours to help employee retain healthy work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• My work from home ability will keep me here for a while (not open to everyone) (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much Senior management, slowing done things (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management assured employees the change over would be smooth but of course it's been a disaster (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Travelport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many employees seem to like travelport base on the reviews on here but I think Travelport is a good place to work and definitely a nice place to start your career. I was hired full-time right after graduation and I do not regret working here. My team members and manager are awesome and very caring, the pay is decent, and I've learned a lot working here. The work-life balance is awesome (work from home a couple or more days a week), and there are opportunities to move up in the company. ALSO, travelport is open to employees shadowing employees from other departments, to expand their skillsets! Pretty cool huh! I think sometime this year or the next, I will shadow the data science department ;)

Cons

There's a few cons of-course. Much of Travelport's infrastructure is old, which means that you work with old technologies. It's not so bad when you think about it because learning the older way of doing things give you a good foundation to build on, and helps you to see the bigger picture when you do get to play around with newer stuff. Here's 2 examples to say the least - 1), we recently moved towards agile mythologies and Jira. 2) my team works with SOAP and we have not done much with RESTFUL services. Nonetheless, working with waterfall mythology and SOAP helps you to understand another way of doing things, and why one way is better than the other. As I mentioned above, if anything, it's definitely a good place to start your career!

Advice to Management

My manager is absolutely awesome :) but I think I was fortunate to be in the team that I am, seeing all of the negative things people have to say about their managers lol. Although, upper management do change a lot so that's not good.

2. "Ok company to work for"

I have been working at Travelport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Understanding team
    Get to learn a lot
    Nice canteen
    Good car allowance
    Good career opportunities to move around the world

Cons

Lack of communication in departments
    Some people are difficult to deal with
    Unnecessarily complex systems and processes

"What a Mess"

Current Employee - Marketing in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Travelport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Support and camaraderie within the sub teams is very good. Many teams have a lot of good people willing to help.

Cons

SLT are very siloed they clearly do not know what is happening in areas other than their own. There is a historic attitude that people who work at Travelport are more important than the customer - given that we come third in the GDS market this needs to change. Many little groups have formed in Travelport and it can be very difficult to work with these as they are closed off to accepting new people SMO.

Advice to Management

Respect your teams a bit more. Try to tone down some of the arrogance that exists.

"Time to leave and don't get hired here"

I have been working at Travelport full-time

Pros

There are some good people left over from the old days. Thank goodness for them.

Cons

Too many negatives to start. Employees feedback is largely ignored there there is serious value in what they say. Odd thing is the company asks for feedback then no action is taken. Not sure why they even go through the exercise. Pay scales have not moved in decades (yes I've been here awhile). Constant reorgs make everything unstable and no one knows who does what anymore. Worst mistake was changing outsourcing companies. Upper management assured employees the change over would be smooth but of course it's been a disaster. As someone else remarked here, production loads have now been pushed to Saturdays because that's what employees just love to do. We already work 24X7 but now we are expected to work weekends. Of course no compensation for that either. As usual the company reduces head count and expects those left to take up the slack. People are starting to get burnt out and it shows. Employee attitude in general is starting to get bad. We need fresh eyes from the CEO down. Seems they're so busy patting themselves on the back, getting these fabulous raises yet the rest of us are expected to slave away. Project process is virtually non-existent and again, complaints are ignored or better yet, the company brings in consultants trying to make it seems like changes are taking place but then nothing changes and the consultant mysteriously is gone. The situation here is becoming intolerable. Career opportunities are non-existent. If you are virtual, forget it.

Advice to Management

See cons. Wake up - your employees are miserable and you are not taking them seriously. You will continue to lose long time employees who have fabulous knowledge but are fed up.

"No longer a happy place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Travelport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice people that have been there a long time

Cons

The company now only concerns itself with the bottom line and constant cuts are made with no consideration to the workload left behind for other employees. Good employees are let go and contractors with no experience are hired who do not have the urgency to fix issues or the knowledge. People are overworked with no consideration to the long term impact on their personal lives as no end in sight. Some contractors come in and are highly paid for little contributions.

"Travelport-the struggle is real"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Travelport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A nice benefit package is offered.

Cons

Lots of off-shore focus. Company seems to be in constant turmoil since going public. Executive seem lost as to how to drive the company while keeping stock prices up.

"Creepy creepy creepy, unprofessional, abusive upper and middle management. Steer clear!"

I have been working at Travelport full-time

Pros

None except some same level peers may be nice. But if management likes you , and that is a long shot, since they only like you if you are low paid and work for TCS, you are trapped into their crappy style and I mean crappy.

Cons

Many. Mostly the bad attitude and style of upper mgt unfortunately trickles down to lower level management and their directs.

This attitude and style can best be described as abusive, unreasonable, illogical and discriminatory.

Saturday only for all production changes means your weekends are shot.

Upper level changes roles of lower level mgt 3 -4 times a year which is code for "total confusion, lack of direction and goals".

I've seen discrimination of women and age directly for example there is an email distribution list called "young talent". ahem HR shame shame shame.

UK and Atlanta employees shown favoritism and there are some real incompetent doozies there who get away with it somehow very frustrating, discouraging and abusive to all who have to deal with them, and that is everyone.

Company is outsourcing 80 % IT to TCS and there is an apparent edict by upper mgt to decrease full timers by 10% per year. Which means others left behind have two and three times the work and all projects fall behind which makes mgt mad since they expect deadlines to still be met, but hey it's their choice to do these horrible things to American and full timers. There are specific rule for UK and other foreign workers so Americans suffer for it it's just a shame.

Company loses money every month is public record so they have to reduce workforce and outsource to compensate its a matter of time before the place implodes.

Best people are laid off leaving incompetents behind and incompetency has become the status quo and unfortunately the few competent employees left behind have to try to perform with two and three times the work.

Advice to Management

Grow some brains ya dummies ! Go find other work get out of IT and quit hurting full timers and American employees!

"constant re-org ensures that CEO has no succession"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Travelport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

cash rich companies, revenues are almost assured

Cons

The CEO makes sure to re-organise the management structure every few months so that he stays relevant and has no possible successor, very clever way to continue to stay in power. If you look at the 10 year history of changes, its easy to make out that with all the changes that the only constant is Gordon Wilson who continues to stay in power and rakes away the biggest bonuses year after year . He ensures that there is no possible successor and that the board has no choice but to continue with Gordon Wilson.

Advice to Management

Get someone to determine the cost of change and analyse how much is Gordon costing you and what he contributes to the organisation. Stop hiring yes men and get some real emaployees

"Not what it once was"

I worked at Travelport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable rates of pay canteen is ok!
    Tries to put its customers first.

Cons

Constantly re organizing, latest one is reverting back to how it was 5 years ago!
    Low staff morale.
    US centric rest of the global company play puppet to the strings being pulled by the US management even though the UK is where the head office is.

Advice to Management

Stop the constant reorganizing
    Value your experienced staff instead of laying them off due to their salaries

10. "Concentrate on customers not internal politics"

I have been working at Travelport full-time

Pros

Flexible working, nice people, office location for transport links is great.

Cons

If you like lots of changes this is the place to work - reorg's every 12-18 months.

Advice to Management

sunset some of the products that do not work