Travelzoo Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Holger Bartel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good at providing a positive work/life balance" (in 15 reviews)

• "Fun work environment in beautiful office spaces" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no room for growth as well" (in 6 reviews)

• "No room to move up/grow - although they do offer an option to move across departments for those interested" (in 6 reviews)

"Challenging, fun subject, global, good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Place where you can grow and develop. Challenging and fast paced. Your work means something. Company has high standards. Good people that work hard. People care about each other and their work.

Cons

Technology is out dated. Needs an upgrade. Lots of offices make for challenges in communication. Competitive industry means you need to adapt faster.

Advice to Management

Focus on tech to make staff jobs easier and more interesting. Up the level of communication. Refresh the logo and brand look and feel. Expand beyond email.

Mar 12, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review Travelzoo! The people who work at Travelzoo are what makes Travelzoo such a rewarding place to come to every day. Communication is key to our success and we... More

2. "Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is good (Mountain View Downtown), easy to find a food during lunchtime, may learn about some media deal stuffs, reasonable employee benefits

Cons

No learning scope, messy place, few people are driving whole things, co founders are still involved, sinking boat

Advice to Management

Hire talented people and let them do their work. Most of the people are junk and don’t know how to do things in real manner

"Not Enough Positives"

Current Employee - Production in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Production in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Have many friends in the office
    Comfortable working environment
    $1,500 for travel annually

Cons

I have been reluctant to write a review here but it is pretty clear that this is the only way the message gets through. This is a decent place to work, but a really bad place for one to seek and grow one's career. Management seems to constantly waiver between several competing ideas and departmental structures, so it's not really possible to develop relevant skills or gather new experience. Also not possible to plan one's career in a good way when you don't even know what department you will be in or what your responsibilities will be in a couple months.
    Individuals who are favored by their managers get appointed to special positions as "leads" and get more attention and opportunity (but not more compensation, of course). If you're not among the favored, you are expected to be an efficient cog in the production wheel, given unrealistic workloads, and are expected to view that as an opportunity. Complaints and criticism aren't welcome. because you have to be positive at all times to be viewed favorably. Things have become so bad that morale and other problems were addressed in corny ways, but it's just like putting bandaids on a serious wound. I don't know if this is what needs to happen to save what is left of the company or not but the outlook is not very good from the ground-floor.

Advice to Management

Why allow some people to specialize in a vertical and not others? Why allow some people to compete for open positions and not others? Why, after almost 20 years in the business, can't we figure out how to operate in a logical way? Why make it so difficult to discuss salary growth by eliminating regular review cycles? Why invest so much in some and not in others? Why let good people grow so disillusioned that they leave without learning from those mistakes? If you continue to avoid answering questions like these, you will end up with a company that consists of nothing but your favorite people. I doubt they have the ability or desire to do all the work by themselves.

Jul 23, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns in person if you would like to contact HR directly. We will share your thoughts with the... More

"Perfect company if you love being undervalued, underpaid, and overworked"

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are their best asset. They're smart and hard working.

Full-time employees get a $1500/year travel stipend.

Cons

This used to be a place where people got up every day excited to go to work, but since the founders came back it's more like Panem in the Hunger Games; the non-management employees are forced to fight over the rare scraps that executives call a bonus, all while being forced into positions they weren't hired to do because of the dwindling staff.

The turnover is so bad that you may as well not take time to learn anyone's names, and the morale is bleak. Employees are miserable and overworked because the company can't, and in some cases won't, fill positions after people have quit.

Most employees haven't gotten a raise in over three years, nor have they received a title change.

So, if you enjoy being unappreciated, don't want any type of career growth, and love having the same salary for years on end, even when you've gone above and beyond, then this place is for you.

Advice to Management

These problems have been going on for years, and until the founders step aside, let people do the jobs they were hired to do, and start valuing employees -- nothing will change.

Aug 17, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review, we wish you the best in your career. If you would like to share any specific actionable item with Human Resources we welcome the opportunity to speak directly.

"A stain on your resume, don't come work here!"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the nicest people I've ever met
    $1500 Travel stipend

Cons

No upward mobility
    Not enough people on the outside of the organization know what Travelzoo is.
    TOO many middle managers. NOTHING gets done.

Advice to Management

Streamline the amount of managers. There's no need for managers to have managers.
    Not sure what other advice I'd have. Every single constructive thing anyone ever says falls on deaf ears.

Aug 17, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review Travelzoo. In order for there to be an actionable response, it would be helpful to know the department you are referring to; please reach out to HR directly... More

"Mismanagment at the top..."

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

The ability to work out of offices throughout country and world.

Cons

It starts at the top, the Bartels are so far removed from the everyday happenings of the company leaving an inexperienced President to micro-manage the staff. He chooses to involve himself in the smallest details which ultimately slows production, stifles progress and feeds resentment.

Travelzoo is constantly hiring, BUT we’re not growing at all. Why? There’s constant turnover because of the toxic work environment.

Some of my fellow co-workers mentioned the recent employee survey that was conducted, and I agree that there has been zero assurances of any changes coming by management.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees directly. It seems as though the only way to find something out is by it being passed along second hand, nothing is ever told to us directly.

May 29, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We will be implementing actionable programs that correlate directly to the survey results. As a current employee, you may be aware we recently hired... More

"Great place to grow your career in the digital media/travel industry"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with travel content on a daily basis is fun. People who work here are smart and have a global mindset. Monthly team outings and lunches. Travel perks like a annual company party in a beautiful destination plus extra vacation days to experience the deals that we promote to our members.

Cons

More communication from senior leadership would be helpful. They recently hired new leadership in the US so it will be interesting to see what changes are in store.

Advice to Management

More formalized training and L&D opportunities for staff would be appreciated. We like the lunches and the travel perks but more formalized coaching and learning would be beneficial for all.

"A miserable work environment and no opportunities for growth."

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The travel industry can be fun and there are sometimes perks. Depending on the role, you may have some networking opportunities that are good for your career.

Cons

There is massive turnover because of poor management and false promises about changes. The Travelzoo you see on the surface is not the real company. The real company stopped growing and innovating many years ago. When a company fails to grow… There is finger-pointing, misery and micromanagement. Despite my personal success at Travelzoo, I found it to be a miserable place to work. It’s a shame because there are some great people there, but most people are very unhappy and looking for a way out. Just do your research before you invest your career and Travelzoo.

Advice to Management

Here lies the problem. The management team and their management style needs to go. New management needs to invest in the right strategies that have a chance for success. Value your people. Listen to you customers. Embrace who you are and what works. It's hard to explain what Travelzoo does because you do so many things so poorly. INVEST IN TECHNOLOGY. It's 2018.

May 15, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome and encourage constructive criticism if you would like to contact Human Resources directly. We wish you the best in your career.

"RUN THE OTHER WAY -- BAIT & SWITCH"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Working in the travel industry.

Cons

From day one I was lied to about my career path here. True bait and switch. Ironically, we're told to avoid doing that to our members with our deals, but they're doing it to us as employees. The company recently conducted a survey to ask us about our candid opinions. So much was talked about how management was really taking this seriously. All of us had high hopes. We had a town hall meeting recently to discuss and the President didn't address anything with an actioned solution. We were all later told in our individual team meetings that what the President said was just a formality, no changes were being put in writing. Bait and switch, Travelzoo, bait and switch.

It's really sad. This company could have been great. I mean we make people happy by sending them on vacation. How can you mess that up?! Somehow Travelzoo can find a way to make selling vacation a terrible job. They love hiring management teams to watch your every move instead of trusting you to do your job. Micromanaging is their preferred method. Every day people are quitting and instead of hiring someone, they just overwork someone who's already here. 60% of their employees (in all teams) are actively looking for jobs! I do feel bad faking to the newbies. Having to tell them, "Mmmm, yea this place is so great. You'll be able to get to the top in no time." All lies.

Only way to make it to the top is to play the game. The game of lying, cheating, arguing and sucking up to the big players. Sometimes you forget you're in a travel company and instead in Wall Street.

Advice to Management

If you keep this up where you care more about revenue vs. the employees who get you to that said revenue, you are going to lose all of your smart and driven employees. You need to be genuine to your employees. You'd be surprised how a little respect can go a long way!

May 14, 2018 – Recruiter

We are in the process of implementing a number of new initiatives that will address many of the concerns expressed in the employee survey. We value the opinions of our employees; I recommend you... More

"Leaves much to be desired."

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

I can't think of any other than that new managers seem to be working to improve the company and its culture overall.

Cons

The company promotes internal conflict and pays terribly.

Advice to Management

Teamwork goes a long way. Employees aren't paid well or at all competitively. Salaries should be addressed asap. The company seems to spend money on things that are unnecessary--expensive office space, excessive off sites, etc. If the company saved on some of those things, they could pay employees better and hire more staff, which is also needed.

Mar 19, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review of Travelzoo. We are proactively analyzing our most recent Employee Survey results and Focus Group commentary to further our commitment to the talented people who work for... More