Travelzoo Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2020

3.2
Travelzoo Global Chief Executive Officer Holger Bartel (no image)
Holger Bartel
Pros
Cons
  • "Domineering sales team chosen based on how much they suck up to upper management, not based on results(in 7 reviews)

• "My advice to you is don't get coned away by the HR recruiters as they are the best sales people in the company(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cool Team and Best Travel Deal experience, Travelzoo Sydney"

5.0
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Sydney

I worked at Travelzoo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool Team and Best Travel Deal experience, Travelzoo Sydney. Really enjoyed my time working at Travelzoo Sydney Australia, it's a very fast paced job and you need to remember if you need help you need to ask - everyone just gets on with their thing so you don't want to be left behind!

Cons

Well not a Con at all but the only reason I left was because of Maternity leave.. may very well come back at some time in the future.

Continue reading
  2. "Great Company and Fun Industry"

5.0

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my co-workers Great company culture Brand held to high standards Company delivers consistent excellent customer experiences

Cons

Slower-paced and not as innovate as others within the industry

3. "Do not work here"

1.0

I worked at Travelzoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel experience eligible after 9 months , travel perks

Cons

Not as innovative , lack of technology and insights which puts you in a difficult position to sell the product to clients . Difficult to prove ROI. Pretty much lied to about career . Toxic environment. Poor leadership, a lot of micro management very robotic and old school. Everyone looks out for themselves , constant gossip. Fighting in the office is normal, no one knows what they are doing . Everyone is out for themselves especially upper management.

"Great"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Really smart people who work here

Cons

Just a little behind technologically.

"Paid well but career went nowhere there"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Director Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Travelzoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ralph Bartel hired me in the mid-2000s (yes, 15 years ago). Paid really well, nice offices, (mostly) nice people, good time off, FREE health insurance (at the time, anyway). Perks were outstanding. Work/life balance was excellent.

Cons

Like so many others said, very stagnating. Lots of busy work. Initiative neither sought nor rewarded. Forced fun Friday outings after work were an actual requirement, with mixed results. IT was stuck in the 1990s while I was there during the mid-2000s. TZOO is very much an apprentice-type situation: you'll do the same tin for years and years, biding your time, and you might or might not get rewarded. If there's an upside to this, they put no pressure on you to perform particularly well, either. If you don't mind not being challenged at all and making a good paycheck for it, this is the place for you.

Continue reading

"You'd get more done in a circus -- HARD NO"

1.0
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at Travelzoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Annual travel stipend (eligible after working 9 months) - The IT team is nice - Leaving

Cons

Travelzoo's management has failed to meet minimum standards on every level. The company has no clear differentiation or direction. Strategies fail repeatedly. The product offering is stagnant for the last 10 years. Executives are unreachable, out-to-lunch, and deaf to younger ideas. Training was fruitless and directions were almost always unclear. All top performers have left or are being held hostage. The tools are ancient and systems sluggish. The teams work with hammer and chisel. "Inefficient" would lightly summarize the processes . HR is an estrogen heap. Publishing and Production teams work like computer slaves to rectify poor data. The Sales teams work like hungry apes in a collapsing bio-dome. There is very little creativity involved. Just ask the Photo team. Clients are unaware of the backend inefficiency. Sales managers fight with each other. Employees are undervalued. Many roles have $0 bonus incentive for performance. The Bartel brothers will send you expensive flowers if you stay for 5 years. But the prognosis is not good -- Based on previous and current results, I would be surprised if TZOO is still around in 5 years. Nobody who values themselves or their career should subject their talents to the hostility and ignorance of this bedlam. If indeed your current situation is forcing you into Travelzoo, don't spill on the carpets.

Continue reading
  7. "Company with integrity"

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has high standards, integrity and truly believed in providing the best customer service experience for members. The leadership is supportive. They take great care of employees with extra benefits like Summer Fridays, Travelzoo Experience, monthly lunches and other programs to keep up company morale. Commissions can be big if you make your goals.

Cons

They're not as innovative and flexible as they like to think they are. Lack of technological advancements is frustrating but they are making changes to improve. It just might be too little, too late.

8. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Travelzoo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Has excellent work culture and employee vacation package.

Cons

Not technically advanced and very slow paced.

"Don’t work here"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Travelzoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fam trip after 9 months of service

Cons

A bit of a scam, as they say they’re the best deals in market, but they’re the best deals in market from suppliers who pay. Difficult to provide ROI to clients due to dwindling engagement.

"Family style business"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Travelzoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great travel benefits Lovely people Amazing potential for development Great deals

Cons

Family style decision making Slow Product Development is non existent - maintenance mode.

Found 182 reviews