Travelzoo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Holger Bartel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good at providing a positive work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Fun work environment in beautiful office spaces (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for growth as well (in 6 reviews)

• Lack of communication within departments (in 4 reviews)

"Thankful for Travelzoo!"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Employees are friendly, smart and collaborative. Office locations are fantastic. Management is always striving to improve and keeps an close ear to the ground. Work/life balance is valued. Lots of perks.

Cons

As a company, would like to see more community involvement.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to make Travelzoo the very best it can be by investing in people and technology.

"Producer"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

-dream job
    -you can learn a lot here if you're willing and open
    -a strong work ethic doesn't go unnoticed
    -your colleagues become family (#TZOOfamily)
    -3 free trips + holiday party at a Ritz Carlton every year

Cons

-the role of a producer is a bit blurry - you do all the work and your sales counterparts take home the paycheck you deserve
    -you fight with teams internally more to earn respect and to get deals approved (not something for those who don't love confrontation)
    -MGMT doesn't recognize you unless you put your name in front of them repeatedly
    -no salary increase and bonuses, including cost of living raises as well as annual reviews (no system)
    -only way to get promoted is to beg for the next role to every MGMT and HR person and make power point presentations to make your point
    -President and CEO are making things up as they go so a lot of the changes are back and forth, which can be cumbersome

Advice to Management

-get ALL of your employees in a room and ask them what they want to do or see in the company
    -LISTEN to your employees -- you've hired some incredible people with a collective background -- we have some great ideas but they're usually shot down before we can even open our mouths
    -the entire hiring process takes 3-4 months for just one candidate and at this point more people are leaving than you can hire
    -many people working here love what they do and it hurts to see such an incredible company go down this way because of terrible management
    -keep in mind, most employees don't quit because of the company but rather because of their managers
    -don't waste whatever you're paying on nuts, fruits, flowers and all the unnecessary travel that sales gets away with -- instead use that money to put together non-profit events, a slight cost of living raise, annual Christmas bonus

Jan 9, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate both your positive feedback and constructive criticism. We are continually striving to improve both our candidate and employee... More

"Associate Producer"

Current Employee - Associate Producer
    Current Employee - Associate Producer

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So poorly managed that there is no accountability, so if you're not very good at your job you can probably last a long time without doing much.

Cons

This company has some bad, bad problems. Upper management asserts control by force, frequently yelling and threatening employees as a way to inspire them. Direct managers mean well but are powerless since they have to do what they are told by the upper management team. Morale in most offices is in the gutter. Most of the producers in the company are actively looking for other jobs.
    There are only a few people who actually get pay raises every year. The company decided about a year ago to hand out spot bonuses instead of pay increases. Spot bonuses are only given to one producer a month (out of maybe 60 in the US). Some people get them many times because their managers and sales people favor them, and because they have accounts with a lot of visibility. If you try really hard and do a great job of self promotion, you can probably get a few bonuses. If you manage to get promoted, your pay increase will be less than the bonuses you got and you will have more work and higher expectations with less recognition.
    Having come from a larger more organized business, I was shocked at how badly organized the HR team is. Very little benefit to working here unless getting some vacation money every year is a priority for you.
    A few years ago the company did away with several titles so there are now four possible positions in the production team. This means fewer opportunity for promotion and career stagnation for most. Even if that wasn't the case promotion and recognition is still handed out inconsistently. You can have a degree in marketing with lots of hospitality experience and you will still have interns promoted over you because they work on content that is more noteworthy. Nothing is merit based here. Work life balance isn't a thing. You're expected to answer emails and phones on the weekends.
    Despite the fact that Travelzoo celebrates its board members being primarily female, the VEST majority of management team members are men. For a company that is about 10% male, it's shocking to see roughly 90% of the management roles occupied by men. Scratch beneath the surface and this is the "real" Travelzoo.

Advice to Management

Stop it with the blatant favoritism. Stop it with the micromanagment. Stop it with the horrid culture and morale-killing tantrums from management. Create more opportunities for employees, not fewer. Get rid of the hopeless upper management team and bring in people from successful businesses who have experience. Stop having employees write fake Glassdoor reviews to artificially boost your score here . Own your failures, accept the truth and try to make real changes that benefit your employees before you lose them.

Feb 16, 2018 – Recruiter

We welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns in-person so we may address each issue you have raised.Thank you.

"Not Great"

Former Employee - Production
    Former Employee - Production

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$1,500 to spend on vacations
    Generally fun coworkers
    Offices are located in nice buildings

Cons

A select few people get recognized for doing, basically, average work on their accounts. If you work in Chicago or you are a favourite of you sales partners and manager you get loads of opportunity. People in other offices are expected to grind it out with little recognition. Even if you do get promoted, there are only a hand full of positions you can get before maxing out. Management doesn't seem to know what's going on or doesn't seem to care. Too much micromanaging and to few people trusted to handle job responsibilities effectively. California offices have good health care but try not to get sick if you live elsewhere. If you are thinking of working here, make sure to ask what accounts you will manage. Then look at the number of deals that account has on the website. If what you find is that they can't tell you what accounts to expect or the accounts you will have don't have a high profile, you will likely burn out quickly.

Advice to Management

Get it together. The pressure of account management is bad enough. When it's obvious that management is clueless it really makes this place unattractive.

Feb 1, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for reviewing your time at Travelzoo. We strive to create a positive experience for each employee in all departments and offices. We wish you the best in your career.

"For the love of travel"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

The people who work at Travelzoo are truly wonderful. Everyone is welcoming and make you feel at home as soon as you walk in the door. More importantly, everyone has things in common especially the love of travel!

Cons

There is a lack of communication at Travelzoo.

Dec 19, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review of Travelzoo! Communication is key for our company to be successful; your opinion is valued. I encourage you to give direct feedback to management or human resources... More

6. "Relationship Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

It's a great environment to work

Cons

I'd like to grow with the company

Advice to Management

Continue to progress and expand

"Worst experience of my career"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat nice offices. Um... most offices get beer or wine or bagels or something like that once a month. Um... one person a month gets recognized for doing a good job.

Cons

Sad to say this was a toxic environment where many employees are incentivized to point fingers rather than collaborate in a meaningful way. Many employees are unhappy, and there is constant turnover. I feel really sorry for any new people hired because it seems like a really cool company from the outside, but everyone figures out pretty fast what the deal is. It used to be a fun company to work for, but now they are just frantically trying not to drown. They can't figure out what they want and the direction is changing constantly. There is no work from home allowed even though the company is already quite spread out geographically. Huge focus on how many phone calls the sales people make. Everything is about appearances.

Advice to Management

A major restructure including personnel and client-facing policies would have to go down in order for there to be progress at that company. Clients hate working with you.

Dec 19, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Travelzoo is always striving to improve although you did not have a positive experience during your time with us. We wish you the best in your career.

"A solid experience with room for improvement"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

At the end of the day you work with smart and engaging people, working on content you're passionate and excited about. Great work perks like travel stipends, monthly office lunches/outings and ample time off. Good at providing a positive work/life balance.

Cons

Top-down decision making can slow down processes. Lack of trust between teams and departments can be frustrating for some.

Advice to Management

Providing ongoing, consistent updates on strategies will help people move in the same direction. Exemplify the leadership expected of others.

9. "Cautiously optimistic"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Travelzoo experience, respect for work life balance (I clock out right at 6), great co-workers, beautiful office spaces.

Cons

Challenging environment with company focusing on growth. A lot of pressure from Wall Street and executives. Hopeful that we can get new strategy on the road.

Advice to Management

Focus on your best people and biggest contributors. They are the ones who are going to pave the way to our future success.

"Sales Manager"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Cool products and fun to sell

Cons

High turn-over
    Not numbers oriented
    Volatile Management

Advice to Management

Value your employees, it is less expensive to keep good talent than train inexperienced sales people.