Travelzoo Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 10, 2019

2.9
Holger Bartel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is great, the people are quality and friendly, the Travelzoo trip experience is a great way to travel around the world" (in 16 reviews)

• "Great office, fun atmosphere, great benefits, very fair goals" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "The upper management is truly awful" (in 6 reviews)

• "You only learn people have left the company when you get a "this email is no longer valid" bounce" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company and Fun Industry"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my co-workers
    Great company culture
    Brand held to high standards
    Company delivers consistent excellent customer experiences

Cons

Slower-paced and not as innovate as others within the industry

"Family style business"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great travel benefits
    Lovely people
    Amazing potential for development
    Great deals

Cons

Family style decision making
    Slow
    Product Development is non existent - maintenance mode.

Advice to Management

Run it like a professional NASDAQ listed business

"Management has no idea what to do"

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) The travel stipend can be nice (though I personally struggled to use the stipend on travel that excited me).
    2) I learned a lot from my teammates. Travelzoo has a high bar for hiring, so many of the people I worked with were quite smart.
    3) I genuinely enjoyed the company of my officemates.

Cons

1) The company is extremely top-down. You will not solve real-world problems for your customers or clients. You will solve problems the CEO and his direct reports *imagine* are problems.
    2) The company claims it fosters an "entrepreneurial" mindset, but there's nothing farther from the truth. You will not have autonomy. You will be told what to do. And after you do what you were told, you will probably be criticized for doing it wrong.
    3) The tools the company provides are outdated or missing altogether. This ranges from the hardware -- they stopped providing company phones recently; the external monitors are comically small -- to the software -- the internal tooling is all a decade or more old, and sits in silos. You have to work very hard to learn fresh skills at Travelzoo, and even then, you will have to do it under cover of night.
    4) There is zero transparency. Each team sits in a silo. Each office sits in a silo. You only learn people have left the company when you get a "this email is no longer valid" bounce. The management team tries hard, but because everything is controlled by the CEO and his brother, there's no direction, and no context for any changes to the company's roadmap. There are no goals, so no one knows what they're working to achieve. Truly, you're just working to avoid getting yelled at.

I can honestly say that this is the worst job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

1) Install a CEO who understands leadership; delegation; autonomy; customer experience; and simply *being present.* For someone who wants to approve everything that happens, he's almost completely MIA.
    2) Consider that the staff you've hired may know things that you don't. Respect their ideas. Encourage them to try new things, and to take risks.
    3) Read the book "Multipliers" and learn why your management style is incredibly diminishing and destructive.
    4) Step aside.

4. "Employee"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

The work-life balance is great, the people are quality and friendly, the Travelzoo trip experience is a great way to travel around the world. The atmosphere and people at Travelzoo are what makes it a wonderful place to work.

Cons

Better structure for bonuses and salary increases.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but provide clearer communication as to how to grow within the organization

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is good (Mountain View Downtown), easy to find a food during lunchtime, may learn about some media deal stuffs, reasonable employee benefits

Cons

No learning scope, messy place, few people are driving whole things, co founders are still involved, sinking boat

Advice to Management

Hire talented people and let them do their work. Most of the people are junk and don’t know how to do things in real manner

"Perfect company if you love being undervalued, underpaid, and overworked"

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are their best asset. They're smart and hard working.

Full-time employees get a $1500/year travel stipend.

Cons

This used to be a place where people got up every day excited to go to work, but since the founders came back it's more like Panem in the Hunger Games; the non-management employees are forced to fight over the rare scraps that executives call a bonus, all while being forced into positions they weren't hired to do because of the dwindling staff.

The turnover is so bad that you may as well not take time to learn anyone's names, and the morale is bleak. Employees are miserable and overworked because the company can't, and in some cases won't, fill positions after people have quit.

Most employees haven't gotten a raise in over three years, nor have they received a title change.

So, if you enjoy being unappreciated, don't want any type of career growth, and love having the same salary for years on end, even when you've gone above and beyond, then this place is for you.

Advice to Management

These problems have been going on for years, and until the founders step aside, let people do the jobs they were hired to do, and start valuing employees -- nothing will change.

Aug 17, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review, we wish you the best in your career. If you would like to share any specific actionable item with Human Resources we welcome the opportunity to speak directly.

"A stain on your resume, don't come work here!"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the nicest people I've ever met
    $1500 Travel stipend

Cons

No upward mobility
    Not enough people on the outside of the organization know what Travelzoo is.
    TOO many middle managers. NOTHING gets done.

Advice to Management

Streamline the amount of managers. There's no need for managers to have managers.
    Not sure what other advice I'd have. Every single constructive thing anyone ever says falls on deaf ears.

Aug 17, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review Travelzoo. In order for there to be an actionable response, it would be helpful to know the department you are referring to; please reach out to HR directly... More

"Mismanagment at the top..."

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

The ability to work out of offices throughout country and world.

Cons

It starts at the top, the Bartels are so far removed from the everyday happenings of the company leaving an inexperienced President to micro-manage the staff. He chooses to involve himself in the smallest details which ultimately slows production, stifles progress and feeds resentment.

Travelzoo is constantly hiring, BUT we’re not growing at all. Why? There’s constant turnover because of the toxic work environment.

Some of my fellow co-workers mentioned the recent employee survey that was conducted, and I agree that there has been zero assurances of any changes coming by management.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees directly. It seems as though the only way to find something out is by it being passed along second hand, nothing is ever told to us directly.

May 29, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We will be implementing actionable programs that correlate directly to the survey results. As a current employee, you may be aware we recently hired... More

"Great place to grow your career in the digital media/travel industry"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with travel content on a daily basis is fun. People who work here are smart and have a global mindset. Monthly team outings and lunches. Travel perks like a annual company party in a beautiful destination plus extra vacation days to experience the deals that we promote to our members.

Cons

More communication from senior leadership would be helpful. They recently hired new leadership in the US so it will be interesting to see what changes are in store.

Advice to Management

More formalized training and L&D opportunities for staff would be appreciated. We like the lunches and the travel perks but more formalized coaching and learning would be beneficial for all.

"A miserable work environment and no opportunities for growth."

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The travel industry can be fun and there are sometimes perks. Depending on the role, you may have some networking opportunities that are good for your career.

Cons

There is massive turnover because of poor management and false promises about changes. The Travelzoo you see on the surface is not the real company. The real company stopped growing and innovating many years ago. When a company fails to grow… There is finger-pointing, misery and micromanagement. Despite my personal success at Travelzoo, I found it to be a miserable place to work. It’s a shame because there are some great people there, but most people are very unhappy and looking for a way out. Just do your research before you invest your career and Travelzoo.

Advice to Management

Here lies the problem. The management team and their management style needs to go. New management needs to invest in the right strategies that have a chance for success. Value your people. Listen to you customers. Embrace who you are and what works. It's hard to explain what Travelzoo does because you do so many things so poorly. INVEST IN TECHNOLOGY. It's 2018.

May 15, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome and encourage constructive criticism if you would like to contact Human Resources directly. We wish you the best in your career.