Travelzoo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Holger Bartel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good at providing a positive work/life balance" (in 15 reviews)

• "Great people that seem to really care about people being happy, but still working hard for the company" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no room for growth as well" (in 6 reviews)

• "No room to move up/grow - although they do offer an option to move across departments for those interested" (in 6 reviews)

"Challenging, fun subject, global, good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Place where you can grow and develop. Challenging and fast paced. Your work means something. Company has high standards. Good people that work hard. People care about each other and their work.

Cons

Technology is out dated. Needs an upgrade. Lots of offices make for challenges in communication. Competitive industry means you need to adapt faster.

Advice to Management

Focus on tech to make staff jobs easier and more interesting. Up the level of communication. Refresh the logo and brand look and feel. Expand beyond email.

Mar 12, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review Travelzoo! The people who work at Travelzoo are what makes Travelzoo such a rewarding place to come to every day. Communication is key to our success and we... More

"Great place to grow your career in the digital media/travel industry"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with travel content on a daily basis is fun. People who work here are smart and have a global mindset. Monthly team outings and lunches. Travel perks like a annual company party in a beautiful destination plus extra vacation days to experience the deals that we promote to our members.

Cons

More communication from senior leadership would be helpful. They recently hired new leadership in the US so it will be interesting to see what changes are in store.

Advice to Management

More formalized training and L&D opportunities for staff would be appreciated. We like the lunches and the travel perks but more formalized coaching and learning would be beneficial for all.

"Mismanagment at the top..."

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

The ability to work out of offices throughout country and world.

Cons

It starts at the top, the Bartels are so far removed from the everyday happenings of the company leaving an inexperienced President to micro-manage the staff. He chooses to involve himself in the smallest details which ultimately slows production, stifles progress and feeds resentment.

Travelzoo is constantly hiring, BUT we’re not growing at all. Why? There’s constant turnover because of the toxic work environment.

Some of my fellow co-workers mentioned the recent employee survey that was conducted, and I agree that there has been zero assurances of any changes coming by management.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees directly. It seems as though the only way to find something out is by it being passed along second hand, nothing is ever told to us directly.

May 29, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We will be implementing actionable programs that correlate directly to the survey results. As a current employee, you may be aware we recently hired... More

"A miserable work environment and no opportunities for growth."

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The travel industry can be fun and there are sometimes perks. Depending on the role, you may have some networking opportunities that are good for your career.

Cons

There is massive turnover because of poor management and false promises about changes. The Travelzoo you see on the surface is not the real company. The real company stopped growing and innovating many years ago. When a company fails to grow… There is finger-pointing, misery and micromanagement. Despite my personal success at Travelzoo, I found it to be a miserable place to work. It’s a shame because there are some great people there, but most people are very unhappy and looking for a way out. Just do your research before you invest your career and Travelzoo.

Advice to Management

Here lies the problem. The management team and their management style needs to go. New management needs to invest in the right strategies that have a chance for success. Value your people. Listen to you customers. Embrace who you are and what works. It's hard to explain what Travelzoo does because you do so many things so poorly. INVEST IN TECHNOLOGY. It's 2018.

May 15, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome and encourage constructive criticism if you would like to contact Human Resources directly. We wish you the best in your career.

"RUN THE OTHER WAY -- BAIT & SWITCH"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Working in the travel industry.

Cons

From day one I was lied to about my career path here. True bait and switch. Ironically, we're told to avoid doing that to our members with our deals, but they're doing it to us as employees. The company recently conducted a survey to ask us about our candid opinions. So much was talked about how management was really taking this seriously. All of us had high hopes. We had a town hall meeting recently to discuss and the President didn't address anything with an actioned solution. We were all later told in our individual team meetings that what the President said was just a formality, no changes were being put in writing. Bait and switch, Travelzoo, bait and switch.

It's really sad. This company could have been great. I mean we make people happy by sending them on vacation. How can you mess that up?! Somehow Travelzoo can find a way to make selling vacation a terrible job. They love hiring management teams to watch your every move instead of trusting you to do your job. Micromanaging is their preferred method. Every day people are quitting and instead of hiring someone, they just overwork someone who's already here. 60% of their employees (in all teams) are actively looking for jobs! I do feel bad faking to the newbies. Having to tell them, "Mmmm, yea this place is so great. You'll be able to get to the top in no time." All lies.

Only way to make it to the top is to play the game. The game of lying, cheating, arguing and sucking up to the big players. Sometimes you forget you're in a travel company and instead in Wall Street.

Advice to Management

If you keep this up where you care more about revenue vs. the employees who get you to that said revenue, you are going to lose all of your smart and driven employees. You need to be genuine to your employees. You'd be surprised how a little respect can go a long way!

May 14, 2018 – Recruiter

We are in the process of implementing a number of new initiatives that will address many of the concerns expressed in the employee survey. We value the opinions of our employees; I recommend you... More

"Really Dissapointing"

Current Employee - Associate Producer
    Current Employee - Associate Producer

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some genuinely nice people work here, though most are seeking other opportunities

Cons

Management is bad. Very bad. Your career will not advance here, you will be underpaid and demoralized.
    The company is led by several extreme narcissists and a couple clueless people who are kept around to say “yes” to them.
    Sadly, if you are a woman or person of color this will be an extremely frustrating experience for you.
    Wild expectations, very little structure and no work life balance.
    Lots of yelling, arguing and macho chest pounding.

Advice to Management

In your attempt to become the Diet Coke version of Groupon you have undone everything appealing about the business you had. You can send HR representatives to each office to listen to people, send “anonymous” surveys and give people flowers on occasion but your culture and morale is extraordinarily bad because of you. You are the problem. Stop micromanaging people to death and get out of the way.

Apr 16, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review Travelzoo. Please discuss your internal concerns (work life balance, office environment) with your manager or HR team; we strive to create a safe and... More

"Leaves much to be desired."

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

I can't think of any other than that new managers seem to be working to improve the company and its culture overall.

Cons

The company promotes internal conflict and pays terribly.

Advice to Management

Teamwork goes a long way. Employees aren't paid well or at all competitively. Salaries should be addressed asap. The company seems to spend money on things that are unnecessary--expensive office space, excessive off sites, etc. If the company saved on some of those things, they could pay employees better and hire more staff, which is also needed.

Mar 19, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review of Travelzoo. We are proactively analyzing our most recent Employee Survey results and Focus Group commentary to further our commitment to the talented people who work for... More

"What Could Be..."

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, the high-end travel industry, the Travelzoo experience.

Cons

Everything. This company is so backward. Everything you read about in these reviews is true... except of course the reviews that are so positive they sound fake. That's because they are. Travelzoo writes fake reviews to keep their ratings up. It's sad. The upper management is truly awful. They have no idea what the business is or what it should be --- when I first started they said they wanted to be like Cande Nast... what? You are a high-end flash deal site for travel and entertainment. Period. Accept it, own it, and flourish. This company has so much potential but they just don't want to look in the mirror.

Advice to Management

I hate to say this but step aside and let someone else lead. The two brothers that own the business have to be removed from day to day operations... you need to let the people you hired do their jobs. Go find someone at Expedia or Travelocity that knows how to run a business and let them run it. Knock down the walls between the departments and get rid of the few bad apples as they are spoiling the entire bunch. This company truly has potential, the reason it is not succeeding is because of upper management.

Mar 12, 2018 – Recruiter

Travelzoo is continuously working towards addressing the concerns of all departments and employees. We welcome and encourage constructive criticism if you would like to contact Human Resources... More

"Thankful for Travelzoo!"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Employees are friendly, smart and collaborative. Office locations are fantastic. Management is always striving to improve and keeps an close ear to the ground. Work/life balance is valued. Lots of perks.

Cons

As a company, would like to see more community involvement.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to make Travelzoo the very best it can be by investing in people and technology.

"For the love of travel"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

The people who work at Travelzoo are truly wonderful. Everyone is welcoming and make you feel at home as soon as you walk in the door. More importantly, everyone has things in common especially the love of travel!

Cons

There is a lack of communication at Travelzoo.

Dec 19, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review of Travelzoo! Communication is key for our company to be successful; your opinion is valued. I encourage you to give direct feedback to management or human resources... More