Travelzoo "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Travelzoo Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 6 Dec 2019

3.1
Travelzoo CEO Holger Bartel (no image)
Holger Bartel
Pros
  • "There is a great work life balance and colleagues across all parts of the UK business were amazing(in 17 reviews)

• "Fun work environment in beautiful office spaces(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "My advice to you is don't get coned away by the HR recruiters as they are the best sales people in the company(in 6 reviews)

• "There is no room for growth as well(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Wonderful Place to Work!"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone is very warm and welcoming! You can tell the employees genuinely want to be at work and enjoy what they do.

Cons

You have to wait a year to take your Travelzoo experience. It makes sense to have employees wait that long to ensure they are going to stick with the company before paying out $1500 for them to travel. But still would like the opportunity to travel sooner.

Travelzoo2017-05-19

"Mismanagment at the top..."

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

The ability to work out of offices throughout country and world.

Cons

It starts at the top, the Bartels are so far removed from the everyday happenings of the company leaving an inexperienced President to micro-manage the staff. He chooses to involve himself in the smallest details which ultimately slows production, stifles progress and feeds resentment. Travelzoo is constantly hiring, BUT we’re not growing at all. Why? There’s constant turnover because of the toxic work... environment. Some of my fellow co-workers mentioned the recent employee survey that was conducted, and I agree that there has been zero assurances of any changes coming by management.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees directly. It seems as though the only way to find something out is by it being passed along second hand, nothing is ever told to us directly.

Travelzoo2018-05-29
  3. "Very good working environment and good company culture."

Former Contractor - Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Travelzoo

Pros

Very good working environment. Good Leaders. I learn a lot from Travelzoo.

Cons

There is no official nursing room.

Travelzoo2017-04-06
  4. "Impact + Global Career Opportunities + Work/Life Balance = Fun & Satisfying"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time

Pros

Global leadership and career opportunities. Fun work environment in beautiful office spaces. Amazing travel perks: employees are encouraged to travel the world and report back. Good people. Work/life balance. Competitive salary + benefits.

Cons

Teams are lean, which can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep offering employees great work perks that compliment work/life balance. Flexibility and independence goes a long way when it comes to employee satisfaction. Also keep hiring great people and making teams more robust vs. lean.

Travelzoo2016-11-15

"All fluff and no stuff"

I worked at Travelzoo

Pros

No one checks on actual "work hours" so coming & going is solely at discretion of employee; those only interested in a pay check take big advantage; management either doesn't know or doesn't care what goes on in individual offices as there is no central number, no on-site manager, receptionist to verify a daily head count. Anyone with little intellectual curiosity but lots of "mean girl" abilities will do very well.

Cons

Communicating with staff is nearly impossible; no one reads their emails that creates repetitive tasks; uninterested in CEO requests/notices; ignorance in simple geography is overwhelming; merely doing ones job gets a bonus/accolades because the concept of putting in an 8-hr work day is foreign; without on-site supervision, several employees only produce actual "work" for 4-hours a day and their "friends" cover for... each other. Very toxic work environment wherein each little "friend group" works to protect their shortcomings by dumping on the "outsiders" then arrange to reward themselves.

Advice to Management

Stop the "clique" mentality as it is detrimental to work production; hire people with a work ethic truly interested in getting out an accurate/quality product; better examine middle management who just cover for their particular "circle of friends" to the exclusion of company interests.

Travelzoo2015-07-08

"Nice people,"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Travelzoo for less than a year

Pros

Nice people: I made some friends there Relaxing working environment: As long as you finish the work before deadline, you can relax and chat in the office Pay was not bad

Cons

As I was an intern, the job was tedious and not challenging

Advice to Management

Upgrade the accounting system so that the mid-level employee do not need to teach a new temp/ intern to do the accounting stuff every 2-3 months

Travelzoo2014-11-14

"Amazing company with excellent benefits and opportunities"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent benefits incl. Travelzoo Experience (extra vacation days + stipend to experience a vacation), great health benefits. Fun work environment including yoga rooms, time to exercise, showers & lockers, Bagel Fridays, office snacks, monthly social events (last month we had an employee cocktail party with great food and wine. Next month we are hosting a painting class to promote team building). Monthly lunches... and birthday celebrations, competitive compensation, Moms group, great office locations and the ability to work at all office locations

Cons

Lengthy approval process for projects

Advice to Management

Travelzoo is a great company with a bright future. I'm proud to be a part of it.

Travelzoo2014-05-30

"Very positive experience"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

high energy company, positive personalities with can do attitude, pleasant work environment, great vacation and medical benefits

Cons

don't really have any cons.

Advice to Management

slow turnover, focus on longterm incentives like retirement plan, etc.

Travelzoo2013-10-29

"A fulfulling career"

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have always felt appreciated here at Travelzoo. I enjoy coming to work everyday - the people I work with are smart, creative, motivated and friendly. Our benefits package is great - we have health, dental, vision insurance; the Travelzoo Experience (annual stipends to take Travelzoo trips); and generous vacation time. We also do a great job of celebrating our wins, whether that's an additional million subscribers,... a strong quarter, impressive performance from an employee or overall recognition for the company. This is generally a positive and supportive work environment.

Cons

I think we're feeling some growing pains as we transition from being a start-up to a scaled-up company. Years ago, we were small in size so we didn't have to jump through hoops to get approval on new projects or processes. Now we have to fight a bit to make progress internally and some of the processes in place don't make sense anymore. We're still trying to work out some of the kinks as we grow our staff and our... product offerings.

Advice to Management

Continue to show your appreciation and support for your teams - this is the one thing above all that keeps me motivated to contribute to the success of this company.

Travelzoo2013-02-23
  10. "It was really chill."

in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Travelzoo

Pros

Really nice people, great work environment, not too difficult stuff to do, really dynamic, great stock options, great building and facility.

Cons

Kind of a boring job, could be more interesting, more perks, more travel compensation and discounts for workers, more benefits

Travelzoo2011-08-06