Treasure Island Casino Reviews | Glassdoor

Treasure Island Casino Reviews

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven Drewes

1. "accounts receivable clerk"

Former Employee - Hotel Accounting Supervisor/Lead in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Hotel Accounting Supervisor/Lead in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Treasure Island Casino (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were awesome and the company did a lot of team building and offered a lot of team incentives. This kept most employees happy.

Cons

They couldn't help but raise the prices of the benefits. But that's the only thing I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Feb 3, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your kind words, We make every effort to keep our Benefits cost as low as possible. That is why we have a FREE in-house clinic for all fulltime Team Members.

2. "Full time"

Former Employee - Bartender in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Bartender in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Treasure Island Casino (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work for with good quality of work and life...

Cons

Hospitality work weekends and holidays

Dec 22, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your kind words.

3. "Very Challenging , Different retail than I was used to"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Treasure Island Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are always busy merchandising and keeping everything organized, The people were great to work with good team effort

Cons

none except raise the salary

Advice to Management

Raise the salary

Feb 3, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

I am sorry but this is for the Las Vegas Treasure Island. Not our property in MN. By the way the Treasure Island Resort & Casino in MN has raised the wage for our Retail Team Member twice in the ... More

5. "Great pay, great atmosphere, fringe benefits, performance incentives.... LOVE MY JOB!"

Current Employee - Barista/Cook III in Welch, MN
    Current Employee - Barista/Cook III in Welch, MN

I have been working at Treasure Island Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love dealing with the public. I also love the management. They have had my back consistently because I'm a good employee. Almost every department got raises as of recently, and there are lots of opportunities for advancement. You can win cash, TVs, dinner and a show, gift cards... Just for doing a little bit extra. We are like a family here.

Cons

The hardest part about working here is getting hired. It's tough if you have 5 speeding tickets, but can only remember 3 of them. In order to get a gaming license (which you will need in order to work in ANY department), you must fully disclose any and every citation for anything, including parking tickets, in your entire adult life. I've only had one, so it was easy for me. They do extensive background checks. Several, actually. However, if you fail to disclose every little thing and they find it, you will not pass through the gaming commission. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Office politics are about the same as they are anywhere else. There are a couple funny little rules, but nothing difficult to follow. It's a casino. There is so much cash in that place. The rules are necessary. Suck it up. It's worth it!

Dec 22, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

It can be difficult to get hired if you have stuff in your background. The key is to disclose it all and know if you do .... you still have a very good chance in obtaining a Gaming License.

"The ebb and flow of Treasure Island. currently more ebb."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Welch, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Welch, MN

I have been working at Treasure Island Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay for position, though I feel I am an exception. Medical, Dental, Life insurance, and a free clinic on property now. Co- workers are always working to make a good experience. Base wages are starting to come up.

Cons

Management. currently management is changing almost as fast as line personnel. General Manager and multiple Directors have left/ let go in the last year.

Communication. much of the time I send out emails and hear nothing back.

Gossip. There is so much gossip because of the lack of communication. like any other company the number of employees also causes gossip and back fighting. HR is trying to work on gossip, but unfortunately because the lack of communication I don't know when or where the meetings are.

depending on which Supervisor is working is which policies are followed.

Health concerns. Casinos are still a bastion of smoking. I understand it is an option to work at Treasure Island, but at this time no one has brought this up

outdated equipment. The equipment I use is about 10 years old. Some equipment we can not get parts.

Advice to Management

work harder on communicating what problem occurred than writing people up or firing them for not understanding the mistake. If there is more than a couple occurrences of a problem. look at the problem, not the employees.

Update equipment that allows communication within the company. much of the the past memos contradict current policies. Update equipment in general. time and effort is spent to upgrade the guest experience, but I feel embarrassed if I have to take a guest to the back of house.

Work on at least acknowledging an email or a problem. sometimes the problem is comprehension of the policy. "the way I read it was", "no it is supposed to say _____"

Also I was unaware that Kim Pang was the CEO, Really!! He was the General Manager almost 10 years ago.

7. "Great co-workers! Great guests!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Welch, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Welch, MN

I have been working at Treasure Island Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people we work with at TI are the best. Hard working, friendly, helpful people that will be life long friends. Guest are having fun and it's fun to assist them (it is guest services though so let's be real, not everyone is a peach!) The extras are very nice; safety awards, chair massages, great break room with large fridge, microwaves, and vending machines, discounts on food and gift shop, and the small things like ice cream and fruit for all. Overall I like coming to work everyday!

Cons

I feel there is not enough communication between supervisors and uniformed employees. Rules change often and you can get different answers from different supervisors. Chain of command can be difficult to figure out at first. Don't work here if you don't want to brave the winter roads often.

Advice to Management

I understand that employee meetings can be difficult to arrange given the different start times of employees, but it would be nice to get the shifts (by their departments of course) together for short informational meetings more often.

Sep 16, 2014 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. Communication is difficult for a 24/7 operations, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do better. Again I appreciate your letting me know.

"Human Resources tries hard, individual management is lacking."

Current Employee - Cashier in Red Wing, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Red Wing, MN

I have been working at Treasure Island Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have great benefits and competitive wages, they provide occasional cook outs and a family fair(downside of that is that it rides are fun but creepy carnies with overpriced food and games). They have a clinic on the reservation which is free to all full-time employees and family with even some free medications. They give out safety awards for not getting hurt on the job which are usually a $25 gift card to the Casino or the Islands Gas Station. They do have free soda and coffee to the employees which are also free to the guests. Great pay.

Cons

Overall I'd say management. I cant speak for all departments but I have heard that the problems are alike department to department. I think there is just to many hands in the cookie jar to speak. There is the Tribal council, then GM( which they never seem to stick around) then individual dept. directors, managers, then supervisors and assistant supervisors. Its easy to see how things can get miscommunicated or the buck can get passed easily. Everything ultimately gets blamed on council and the GM( which both we never see nor interact with us). They have tools to leave comments with HR or the GM but they never seem to be answered or they are thrown under the rug with a fake it will be looked into or wee will see what we can do. In our department stuff is always broke, we are understaffed and the constant excuse for both is budget. Which is hard to believe considering. Our manager micromanages to the point that our supervisors have no real say in the matter, if they care it doesn't show because our ideas stay doormat because they need his approval which seems to again get shoved under the rug. I stay because of high wage and benefits.

Advice to Management

Be more interactive learn what we do and be a part of our day to day activities, therefore you could understand some of our work related issues and we could give you ideas that may just work. Helping us does not always cost money. Yet some things are a needed expense, quality equipment the kiosks are down left and right which affects us as it gets frustrating( we do have tech but they are usually not available to help and when they do it is lacking, we often wonder what they do as our machines are thick in dust and never seem to be properly fixed) the guests are frustrated as well. We need more ergonomically friendly work stations, for the most part we are very repetitive and better work areas would make us less uncomfortable which would probably cut down on some of the whining. Chairs that don't lean, wobble or not go up our down, better placement of computers and keyboards. There is not enough positive compliments more so constant complaining about our faults. We have so many rules it is hard to keep them straight especially since they change every other day. We often feel that they are trying to get us fired. I read a comment from a restaurant cashier saying that our time clocks get change and they don't get paid for all hours worked, it is true, although the company responded by that it is not, I have looked at my time clock and if you work exactly 8 hrs you are usually only paid 7.59 and I have heard from supervisors that if people do not punch out exactly when supposed to unless they came to the supervisors and explained why they where over that time would be changed to the desired punch out time. I fell in love with this place and the department yet it has gone downhill incredibly and daily most people talk of finding elsewhere to work, it is sad and only decreases moral and the infestation of negativity. I would wish that making us happy and enjoy our work more was more of a concern. I think they often forget that the environment itself is very negative most guests we come across are unhappy and that spreads inwardly which is then not treated well in return. The employees, wages, degree in difficulty of work, benefits and the attempt from HR to right the negativity are the reason people try to stay but at some point you break. I would also think that turn over is expensive and in our area of work employee loyalty would be important so working with us and helping us want to stay and love and recommend the job or place to others should be of great importance. Also the reason I have even posted anything at all is because I do not feel heard nor appreciated.

Aug 6, 2014 – Director of Human Resources

I am one of those decision makers and I would like to try and make things right. I would love to have a confidential conversation so we can talk about how you would recommend we find the right ... More

9. "Good coworkers, poor upper management, very unorganized."

Current Employee - Cashier in Welch, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Welch, MN

I have been working at Treasure Island Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It does have good benefits, health, PTO, they do team member feasts, frequently throughout the year, the biggest one is right before Christmas, which we sometimes get a bonus, depending on how the year went. The Tribal community does give us hams and turkeys during the holiday season, which is very nice of them. I've met great friends at work.

Cons

In my department, I found the upper management to be very disorganized, I worked with cash, and we had very particular rules on how we should do things, but some managers interpreted them differently, which made things difficult, because you could ask one and get one answer, and another and get an entirely different answer. I found the absent rule which was casino wide, to be frustrating. 7 in a rolling 52 week period, and you could get written up for pattern absences.

Advice to Management

you make it very hard to enjoy our work. by putting up more and more restrictions that would cost us our jobs, along with understaffed, and poor management aide. Nobody in the department respects the management, especially the manager, which makes dissent among the ranks as it were.

Aug 6, 2014 – Director of Human Resources

We want to make your job fun again. I would welcome the opportunity to have a confidential conversation with you. I want to fix and make right things that will make TI a better place for all of us ... More

10. "Temporary OK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Treasure Island Casino part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoy people I work with

Cons

On-Call Status, hours cut in half

Jun 30, 2014 – Director of Human Resources

Sadly this is the Treasure Island in Vegas - The Treasure Island in Red Wing, MN has jobs of all types and are now hiring.

11. "Caution proceed at your own risk!"

Former Employee - Buffet Supervisor in Welch, MN
    Former Employee - Buffet Supervisor in Welch, MN

I worked at Treasure Island Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros

Cons

Cannot go to HR with any issues as they work against the team members so there is no safe place to go for assistance with issues. The buffet in particular is full of supervisors and managers who have vendettas against team members and do their best to get them terminated. When an ethical manager or supervisor is on board they get rid of them. ANd there are absolutely no opportunities for advancement. If team members want to go to the tribal council their jobs are threatened!

Advice to Management

Clean house in the hospitality department starting with the director, the buffet managers and the buffet supervisors. Then clean up the HR department by eliminating the head of the department. Then it will be a safe place and fun place for team members to work there.

Jun 30, 2014 – Director of Human Resources

I am sorry we didn't turn out to be a good match for you. We did however give you six months to improve your performance. Sadly that did not happen. I hope you and your next employer are a better ... More