Trek Bicycle Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 180 reviews

3.2
Trek Bicycle CEO John Burke
John Burke
Pros
  • "Great people and fun work atmosphere(in 21 reviews)

• "Active and alright work environment as long as you like the people around you(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Seasonal work as the rainy season in the winter slows down bike sales(in 15 reviews)

• "The office is in Waterloo, WI - which is 35 minutes from downtown Madison by car(in 14 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Trek Bicycle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, great products, good work environment

Cons

There was nothing wrong with this company

Advice to Management

There was nothing wrong with working here

Trek Bicycle2019-08-27
  2. "Like any other retail position"

I have been working at Trek Bicycle

Pros

The discount on products and bikes.

Cons

I went to work at Trek at a retail store to learn about product so that I could translate that to a more reaponsable sales position. I have 20 plus years as an outside rep. running multi -million dollar territories. When an inside position came available i did not even get an interview. Like most people I got a standard email saying thanks for applying. Before this I reached out via email and voice mail to mutiple... people in Waterloo and nobody responeded to my emails or voice mails. So much for working from the inside.

Advice to Management

The key question for Trek is how do you pull talent from stores to more lucrative and responsible positions. Otherwise there will be constant turnover as students graduate and move on to jons theycanactually earn a living wage.

Trek Bicycle2019-09-12

"Work smart not hard"

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Waterloo, WI

I worked at Trek Bicycle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are into it, the deals on bike parts etc are great. Good people work there.

Cons

It's not how hard you work it's all about who you know and what you to to get along. Still a family owned company and it shows. President reads a new book and everyone has to read it and apply the principles. Never spend time to get it right just jump from latest book to latest book hoping for the magic bullet to fix everything.

Advice to Management

Identify the problems and work to fix them instead jumping from kaisan to lean in to lean to whatever the next best seller tells you to do.

Trek Bicycle2019-07-30

"Everyone is a manager, no one is in charge"

Former Employee - Manager in West Chester, OH

I worked at Trek Bicycle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Trek corporate info and services were well organized, message consistent and clear, website training which was to be performed on your own time was quite good and well done. Unfortunately, shop managers instruct to use them only as a guideline. They push the hard sell instead.

Cons

Very little time for lunch let alone training other than website and that is expected to be performed on your own time. No quality control on bicycle building or repairs, reports of wheels falling off and handlebars giving way. Not at all the consistent with the image the company projects.

Advice to Management

Follow the TREK guidance of the website training. Let your employees take and eat lunch. Try keeping employees for a while even though it is seasonal business and you don't really need too many for long.

Trek Bicycle2019-07-25

"Gaslit management"

Former Employee - Manager in Waterloo, WI

I worked at Trek Bicycle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cafe, riding culture if you're in to that

Cons

Management constantly tells you if you work hard you'll be recognized but that isn't true. If you're not in "the club" you'll be constantly overlooked. If seen so many people put in amazing work and then leave because of how there were treated. Trek switch to "performance based reviews and merit raises" a few years ago so they could stop giving regular merit raises. When you finally get one, it amounts to less... than you would have gotten if you had just gotten 2% every year, but they get to make a big deal about it that way. Pay is far below Madison averages and benefits are not competitive. Also do not care about developing employees. Literal quote from the CEO about their Great Places to Work Score "Do you want to know how to raise your score? Fire all the unhappy people!" They consistently score low on compensation and benefits and refuse to address it - they spend all their time focusing on where they scored well but will never talk about how they can improve where they did poorly.

Trek Bicycle2019-07-07

"Dump and run"

Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at Trek Bicycle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co workers are a great group of people

Cons

Management does a poor job of training. Hands on training is much more effective for me. Shadowing is not effective training.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more time training BEFORE you fire staff.

Trek Bicycle2019-07-11
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Trek Bicycle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very family oriented environment. A good place to start your career whether you are 18 or beyond.

Cons

None that I know of

Trek Bicycle2019-05-24

"Did you like high school?"

Former Employee - Office Worker in Waterloo, WI

I worked at Trek Bicycle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Discounts on bikes and other related items. Drinking on the job.

Cons

Leadership tries to act like the cool kids in school instead of like compassionate, servant leaders. They will stab you in the back as quickly as they pretend to be your friend. Don't listen and only look after themselves or those in the clich. Childish. CFO actually runs the company not the CEO and he is worst of all. Do as I say not as I do. Immature, rude, petty, and ruthless. There are multiple rumors around... about affairs between top leadership. So glad I'm gone. My boss had no idea what I was doing and only cared about herself. Selfish and arrogant!! RUN AWAY...

Advice to Management

Grow up or go back to high school. You are ignoring your best employees because you're too busy having to cover your own butt all the time. When you hire you say it doesn't matter it you're a hard core biker but we both know that's bs. You judge employees based on how much they ride. Stop lying to yourself, take a look in the mirror.

Trek Bicycle2019-06-20

"Nice until it wasn't"

Former Employee - Ascend Retail Accountant

I worked at Trek Bicycle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, employee discount

Cons

Constant department restructuring, make 1 mistake and you're dropped like a bad habit.

Trek Bicycle2019-05-07

"Fun Company - Passionate Employees"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Trek Bicycle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great product to be a part of.

Cons

Salary tends to be lower than local averages.

Trek Bicycle2019-04-22