Trek Freight Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Gary Bazelon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"More than just an accounting assistant"

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Lincolnwood, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Trek Freight Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees and management were all down to earth individuals. I was hired as an accounting assistant, then later, management let me do dispatch at the same time so I can be more into the action of the industry which I thought was very considerate because all I wanted to do was learn more! I could ask anyone on the floor anything and they wouldn't hesitate to help. The training in all aspects of the business (general industry and system, accounting, dispatch) was great because I got right to work in no time. The culture in Trek is nothing I've seen before in my past work experience, it was like my 2nd home. On top of that, the company outings we had was a blast!

Cons

No cons for me, I was there to help in any way possible and was never pushed out of my comfort zone

"Better brokerages to work at, this company will never change"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Trek Freight Services (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, some cool people (that revolve), some office perks here and there like lunch

Cons

NO proactive change about policies and if so, its for the worse. double standards, arbitrary rules & loopholes to rules, sexism, favoritism, nepotism, proactivity is frowned upon , capped commission

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that your employees are valuable and deserve to make more money for the efforts they put in, so you should create growth opportunities and a more diverse office. Trek drinks its own koolaid, but theyre not a big brokerage and there is no sense of unity, because no one cares, is paid enough, or is appreciated. Hire more women, take advice from outside help, and if all else fails, sell, because this business is not one that's being managed well

"Truthful"

Former Employee - Rep in Lincolnwood, IL
    Former Employee - Rep in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Trek Freight Services full-time

Pros

Vacation days, casual dress code, 401 K match, Christmas Party was nice.

Cons

no management at all, working Saturdays for free basically with no actual bonus from the owners or from booking loads since company's don't tend to work weekends, favoritism from customer reps that manipulates the entire system of assigning loads, stop allowing a few people to say or do whatever they want just because they make a few dollars for the company. Team leads do nothing but play on the internet and complain to their teams to do better. No chance for advancement since they only have 3 managers and they won't leave since they get paid to do basically nothing all day. Even if a manager decided to leave, they will drag it out for no reason since they only plan on giving the position to someone that is in the favoritism of the upper management. They pay you are salary that is Starbucks competitive, and in turn complain that you are not booking enough loads for profit, when in reality even the less skilled brokers will make the company a couple hundred thousand dollars of PROFIT while getting paid peanuts. Brokers have to track shipments after hours for free and for all the hard work they get for doing extra work after hours? Nothing.. No extra lanes, no gift cards or bonuses. Employees are hired because they failed in another industry or needed a job, and trek will hire them use them up for the first year since they them for 6 months of non commission and make even more money off them while they struggle to survive on low base salary. They fire the employees that are willing to speak out against the unfair situations that arise on a daily basis, it a toxic situation even though the attempts at fun dress up contests are used to try and conceal it.

Advice to Management

Hire employees that you plan on keeping around, don't hire people you can use up for a year before firing them and getting the 6 months of non commission time out of them so your company can make an extra hundred thousand dollars on each person who you only paid a cheap low entry level salary.

"A truthful review on Trek Freight"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Trek Freight Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people outside of management create a great culture within the company and make working at a freight brokerage a lot more manageable. It's easy to develop friendships with one another and the company throws fun events from time to time inside and outside of the office. Human resources plays a big role in their successful culture and is probably the strongest department Trek has in the building. It's the only reason why the company gets two stars instead of one.

Cons

Management is very inexperienced in the industry. While I went through the training program, our class only learned the database and a general overview of how a freight brokerage works. There were no basic freight sales strategies taught to us. Management typically take a hands off approach in the training program and on the floor in the carrier sales groups, throwing new reps into the fire and hoping for the best. This of course leads to a very high turnover in the carrier sales department.

The company also implements dishonest business practices that are looked down upon in the industry (ref. 20/20/20 rule). In a business that's built on relationships with other companies, Trek defaults to getting their loads covered on various online load boards half the time. These companies that work on the load boards typically lie and don't offer good service. It's encouraged to lie back to these companies just for an extra $20 or more. Doing this ruins Trek's image in the industry and makes them no better than the shady companies they claim to be morally above.

The CEO's are very disconnected from a lot of the entry level employees. Even though they pride themselves as a small and personal company, they only see you as a name and a statistic.

Advice to Management

Higher level management: You need to be a resource for new employees. Help them grow and succeed with worthwhile advice and hands on learning. Don't just look at the monthly reports and shrug your shoulders when reps aren't performing up to the standard. The carrier sales side of Trek seems like a carousel of people coming and going. I'm sure you'd save a lot of money in training new people if you focused on building up the people you already have in the company.

"This is what happens when you have too many cooks in the kitchen and none of them know the recipe."

Current Employee - Broker in Lincolnwood, IL
    Current Employee - Broker in Lincolnwood, IL

I have been working at Trek Freight Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, a handful of really cool co-workers and a leave time of 4:00PM (good luck acting on that though). The Holiday party's are fantastic but don't expect much give throughout the year.

Cons

Too many superiors with always-changing titles, two CEO's that never make eye contact and can't remember your name, let alone develop you, and a toxic structure made to heartily reward the guys that have been there the longest, leaving just scraps of meat for the new kids. There's greed, there's long hours, and I hope you're fine with being talked down to, because that's this company's credo. Know your tier on their totem pole, keep your mouth closed and feed the money up; don't expect much in return.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings and not nuts and bolts on a money-making machine.

"great place for independent workers"

Former Employee - Sales in Lincolnwood, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Trek Freight Services full-time

Pros

Casual work environment, great coworkers. Ability to chose which path is right to go down, carrier or customer sales. Opportunity to make money if you are a self starter and independent.

Cons

Job can be monotonous, no fault of the company, just the industry. The guidance is a little soft, must be able to figure it out on your own.

"Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trek Freight Services (More than a year)

Pros

The company is a fun place to work

Cons

Managers do not have enough business experience.

Advice to Management

Stay on track with long term goals

"Growing company, still lots of work ahead of them."

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Lincolnwood, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Lincolnwood, IL

I have been working at Trek Freight Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, lots of opportunity to make money if you are driven enough.

Cons

micro-managed too much, still growing and with growth comes trials.

"Very positive operations experience"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Morton Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Morton Grove, IL

I worked at Trek Freight Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential, great benefits, great employees, casual work environment, great management, plenty of entertaining work events, TVs in office, random benefits

Cons

Tough industry, long hours, produce season, uncle rico

Advice to Management

Keep expanding

"Great working environment loaded with opportunity"

Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Lincolnwood, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Lincolnwood, IL

I have been working at Trek Freight Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great comradery with colleagues , career advancement opportunities with growing company, fast paced working environment helps the work day fly by, minutes from the city, and a very competitive compensation program.

Cons

Not in the city (10 - 15 commute MAX) and since it's so fast paced it may be very stressful at times.