Tresys Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Stalick

1. "Left and Came back for amazing people, work life balance, and the freedom to do my job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tresys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most companies do not welcome you back with open arms after you leave. Uniquely Tresys, this company welcomed me back with open arms and without prejudice. I left for a position that wasn't available at Tresys and I returned because although I had loved the new job, I found their culture click-ish and mid-level management interactions toxic. Tresys offered me a position that is challenging and rewarding. They are flexible, respectful, and give me the space I needed to do my work well. The people on my projects are highly technical, skilled communicators, creative problem solvers, generous collaborators, and the list goes on. Great group of people! Also after 60 - 70 hours work week at my other job, the work life balance that has always been available at Tresys is truly a nice way to come home.

Cons

Since I've been back and in my current position, there's not much that has been a negative for me. I'm still too happy with being surrounded by people who makes sense to me that I haven't really focused on the cons.

Advice to Management

I would encourage us to continue finding and winning technically interesting projects. Listen and hear what people are trying to say -- not necessarily how they are saying it.

2. "Not a big fan."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tresys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tresys has some very sharp technical people. Pleasant physical work environment and social atmosphere.

Cons

They are the result of a bad private equity deal. Founders that were bought-out turned into a hostile competitor. New owners thought they were buying a cash cow but in reality got a turnaround that needed investment. Very limited (and declining) products and services offerings. Steady rate of forced and unforced attrition. Have lost a lot of good people.

Advice to Management

Refinance the company. Get VC investment and create some innovative products while you still have a technical critical mass.

3. "Lots of Change"

Current Employee - Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tresys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Free coffee, water and soda with cheap snacks
    -Almost everyone is friendly and easy to talk to
    -Can work on different projects within the company if you request it
    -Interesting work most of the time
    -Switched to a better review process

Cons

-There are periods where the turnover is incredible, sometimes 10-20% of the company leaves without replacements. (Currently 50% the size from when it was sold)
    -When the founders sold the company everything shifted for the worse: work/life balance, management, benefits, compensation
    -Simply put people want good benefits and pay, we are no longer competitive to retain or attract good people
    -Sales management and sales seems to turnover semi-annually
    -New upper management should be brought in or current management should be trained, we have put all of our eggs in a single basket several times
    -At one point there was almost a 1-to-1 manager-to-engineer ratio, which was bad, but then lots of managers were let go resulting in not enough management, skipped the happy medium
    -No more interns, which is where most of the current staff came from (used to be 6-8 each summer but now there is 0-1)

Advice to Management

Don't forget that a technology firm needs technology people. I feel we don't have enough engineers and are straying from our roots. Lets get interns again and really grow good people to grow the company.

"A Nice Place to Work"

I have been working at Tresys full-time

Pros

A lot of super smart people work here. Innovative thinkers who work hard to solve challenging technology problems for our customers. A good balance of teamwork and independent thinking. Leadership is interested in employees' ideas and keep us informed of what's going on with the business. Casual work environment with a good deal of flexibility. Nice offices, no cubicles! Company sponsored lunches, happy donut days, cornhole competition, and more!

Cons

Some people complain about the lack of leadership and poor communication. I think they are either not paying attention or need to improve their listening skills.

Advice to Management

I hope the senior leaders of the company will continue to use their business and technology acumen to further grow the company and surpass the nay-sayers expectations.

"Used to be a good place to work"

I have been working at Tresys full-time

Pros

Some of the work is interesting, and a few smart people are left.

Cons

Since the ownership change, overall compensation has been cut drastically, and most of the best employees have left. There doesn't appear to be much of a sense of direction technologically to remain relevant in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Retain talented employees.

Jul 2, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your review. The ownership change and government downturn have certainly provided Tresys with some challenges, as well as some opportunities to reinvent the company. There is always ... More

7. "Great company/culture and good benefits"

Current Employee - CONT in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - CONT in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tresys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual company culture onsite, free lunch the Monday after pay-day, easy to communicate with all departments

Cons

Gov't contract work can lead to instability in tasking, disconnected to company culture if working offsite for customer

Jul 2, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your review and your continued contribution to Tresys Technology. We will continue to strive to make Tresys a great place to work, which includes the perks you mentioned and ... More

8. "Medium size company where you know most everyone. Very technical with engineers solving complex OS security issues."

Current Employee - Maryland in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Maryland in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tresys full-time

Pros

Casual dress, brownbag Mondays, free sodas, Maple Donuts, ability to work from home.

Cons

Revenue subject to government contracts, which can be challenging lately.

Advice to Management

Senior executives could communicate the State of the Company more frequently.

Jul 2, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your review and your continued contribution to Tresys Technology. It is important to us that we provide a casual and flexible working environment for our employees so they can focus on ... More

"Lots of changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Tresys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Important customers (Defense and Intel). Benefits are solid, work atmosphere is professional and offices are nice. Suburban location with plenty of parking. Among the tech staff, there is a sense of community and people help each other.

Cons

Current leadership seems to lack vision and strategic thinking. The reputation this company once enjoyed as experts in OS security has diminished as key people left for greener pastures. Several long-term tech staff members have left, along with some key executives. CEOs changed after the company was sold in late 2012.

Advice to Management

I don't believe management is interested in advice.

"Tresys, a company in decline, not a place for a career."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Tresys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company provided benefits are very low cost but the options are limited. Extremely high co-pays are offset by a full reimbursement program but expect to do paperwork to get your money back. Work environment is nice modern office space. Most workers share an office.

Cons

In earlier days Tresys was an employee focused business. After the owners/founders sold out to private investors (Dec 2012) a major decline began. Loss of the founders, key leadership, and top technical leads, has led poorly skilled managers to move up in positions. The Peter Principle in action. During 2013-2014 there has been approximately a 30+% turnover rate. Focus is on maximum profit at a minimum of investment. Employees are often overworked and poorly compensated for the extra effort. Employees are expected to charge 40 hours a week against billable tasks while overhead functions are expected to be done on their own time. This includes activities like all hands meetings, performance reviews etc… This can be daunting depending on your position. The quarterly bonus program is all but gone except for an inner circle of self satisfying management types. This is not the kind of place for a long term career. Burnout is common. Management is always on the search for the top 5% of the workforce. Many times this has led to the dismissal of seemingly average or good workers often without warning or explanation from management. The survey asked if I would recommend working here to a friend, NO. More importantly, I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone.

Advice to Management

Its time to clean house and hire good senior management. Old employees that have been around long enough to move up are not the best for many positions they are now in. Just because “they want to be” doesn’t mean “they should be”. Be more open and honest about the financial situation and business outlook. Fooling people is not the way to keep them. Inform them and let them make their own decisions about whether to stay or go.

"Six years ago company focused on employees. Now, not so much."

I worked at Tresys full-time

Pros

Decent place to learn technically and grow. Livable salary. Decent work environments.

Cons

The company higher-ups are dishonest when it comes to describing why decisions are made. They also like to toot their own horn and state the culture makes up for lower than industry standard salaries. This is also inaccurate. Six years ago it was true. But then they became revenue-driven, focusing on the sales people and ignoring the technical growth of juniors. Now, half the company are VPs and no juniors are getting promoted or getting raises. It has now become solely revenue driven and this has led to a mass exodus with 25% of the company departing in a ten month time span.

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots. Stop focusing on sales people and look at those actually contributing to task execution.