Tri-State Generation and Transmission Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "GIS Analyst"

Current Employee - GIS Analyst in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - GIS Analyst in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time

Pros

Good benefits package and great people to work with.

Cons

Change happens very slowly and some are resistant to change.

"Good, but not perfect."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed environment. I've advanced my career exponentially since starting, you just have to ask, apply and be ambitious. Love my co-workers. Overall a great company!

Cons

Bennefits are good but I am astounded that they don't offer Short Term Disability. This company is run & ruled by men... apparently it's not important for women to get paid on maternity leave. They require you to use ALL of your vacation and sick time instead, which is pretty insane considering you'll need some when you come back. Can be slow to change as 'the board' has to vote for everything and they always vote no. Not many corporate perks because it's not a corporation!! haha.

Advice to Management

Offer Short Term Disability, you don't have to pay for part of it, just offer it!

3. "Golden Handcuffs"

Current Employee - Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Westminster, CO

Pros

Salary and benefits are good - might have to stay forever

Cons

Lots of older people here that are stuck in their ways, starting to see more young faces come in though.

Advice to Management

Should probably consider work from home or offices, never thought I'd be sitting in a cube while making $100k!

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Employee in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pension, culture, leadership. Great place for people with families with great benefits and reasonable work schedules. They have competitive salaries also.

Cons

Takes a while to build up vacation time for new employees, not as flexible with work schedules and work from home options. Can be slow to change.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on things to attract and retain employees, would like to see more put in to health programs for employees.

5. "Great coworkers! Good benefits, amazing work/life balance"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is great and my coworkers are truly amazing. A lot of knowledge around the company, don't be afraid to ask questions. I see others complaining about their management, but I have had no issues with management in my department at my time here. If anything, my interaction with management has been positive. They offer plenty of sick time, and the option of buying vacation in addition to what they already give you is a plus. The fact they still have a pension plan speaks for itself. Work/life balance is about as good as it can be, especially compared to previous jobs. Pond area in the back is a great place to get away from desk and take a walk over lunch. It really is a great place to work and I recommend it to anyone reading.

Cons

Coffee truly is terrible, but not a big deal as people are making it to be. Sometimes communication between different departments seems lacking. Also would be nice to have some official word on company happenings, rather than just hearing it down the grapevine. On-site lunches that are offered on Wednesdays are over-priced, but then again I think the catering company sets those, not Tri-State.

Advice to Management

Even though the time to start and end your day is flexible, it would still be really nice to offer a 9x80 schedule or allow a tele-commute day every two weeks or something of that sort.

6. "Great company for work/life balance and a rewarding career!"

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time

Pros

Excellent work environment, great benefits and compensation, ability to move around positions/departments, flexible schedule/hours in some departments and very friendly/happy coworkers. The "not-for-profit" work environment at Tri-State is very stress free and rewarding.

Cons

There are a few managers in the company that micromanage(they are not very common but do exist). The pay is very good but you can make more money for a consulting firm(Environment with Tri-State is much better though)

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees correctly and work on making the schedule more flexible for your departments. (i.e. Four, ten hour shifts a week or every other Friday off etc.)

"Great Employees, Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So many of the employees have a wealth of knowledge. The benefits are good. Plenty of sick time plus you have the option to by vacation time and adjust the payments across pay periods. Pension and two 401Ks.

Cons

Some of the Senior Management are on the way out and not on the way up. Most are completely out of touch with what is really going on in their organization. Extremely hostile work environment where you will be forced to quit. I agree with another reviewer that said, " Many supervisors are 'petty tyrannies' and an extremely hostile workplace and environment of fear exists as a result of corporate paralysis in dealing with problematic managers." There are some really great managers that love their job, that want to grow and change for the better of the company. They actually look out for their employees professionally and personally while keeping the company in mind. There are some employees that are stuck in an old school way of doing things. Women have different standards and rules than the men do when it comes to pay, the way you are treated and the way you dress. Good old boys. There is very little communication in the organization and even less cross organization collaboration. Why change anything because, "We have always done it this way." You cannot make suggestions to change things as management is very set in their ways, or they ask Executives what they should do and nothing gets changed. It is almost impossible to move up based on performance or skill set because of politics, who you are, your sex or the way you dress. So many people are so close to retirement and have officially checked out. HR policies are so out of date, and there is always a new policy about to come down, but they never do. Managers need training. There is no training for them, let alone HR training or training on how to be a good leader. There is a high turnover of the young, bright employees and no one seems to want to do anything about it. The coffee and catered food is seriously terrible.

Advice to Management

If you hire someone to work for you, you should want them to be good at what they do. Trust them to do their job and stop micromanaging, following them around, stalking them, tracking them etc, Trust your people, period. Without trust you will keep losing good employees.Train the managers to be good leaders, how to deal with conflict, how to interact with people, how to do their job, how to prioritize their work so that it is not always a fire for everyone in their org to get things done.

"Well...it has potential."

Former Employee - Procurement in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Procurement in Westminster, CO

I worked at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits are inline with industry. Opportunities for female employees are very good. Large geographically diverse energy company gives exposure to challenges of regional energy issues.

Cons

Too many board members lends itself to a lack of corporate leadership. Zero performance incentives. Little to no opportunity for career advancement within the company. A lot of engineer types (with no people skills) are in management positions. When I first arrive in 2006, there where lots of groups that operated like an island with little collaboration with other groups. I witnessed some improvement in communication and information sharing but more could be done.

Advice to Management

Build a new HR department that will implement current HR best practices. Executive leadership should switch from a reactive to proactive style. Lose the top-down management mentality and listen more to the boots on the ground.

"Great Work Place"

Current Employee - Chemical Engineering Intern in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineering Intern in Westminster, CO

Pros

Everyone is very open and friendly. A really great place to work. We had a lot of opportunities to get out of the office and tour many of the plants. This wasn't your typical internship. I really enjoyed it.

Cons

HQ has really terrible coffee. It's horrible.

"Stability of a Utility, Scaled to Suceed"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission (More than a year)

Pros

Tri-State is one of the largest electric co-ops in the World(227th Ranked) and based in one of the best states you can live in, Colorado. The physical location of the main office is great if you are looking to avoid traffic and commuting (depending on where you choose to live). There are plenty of great areas to live (anything from studio apartments to luxury homes in gated communities) as well as spend time when off work (20-30 min drive to Boulder/Golden,/Downtown). It is located right off I-25 at exit 223 (about 10 miles from downtown Denver with a toll area for easier travel in rush hour) and easy to get to and from.

Starting salary as an entry level Engineer was competitive and possibly more for my particular discipline. Benefits are mostly paid (small portion paid by employee for health, dental, and vision) and include health, dental, vision, retirement (1% 401k given, pension 5 years vested), PTO, tuition reimbursement (after 1 yr of service) etc. I have had no issues getting time off in any case. The entire staff is aware of work-life balance and understand that emergencies occur. As with any company ensure your emergencies are truly emergencies!

Project work as a starting Engineer has been great. My responsibilities and expectations as an Engineer I have been in-line with my own expectations . I have been given room to learn on my own, but with as much supervision and assistance as I have needed and wanted. I have been given many chances to further my learning as training is always encouraged.

Travel is super easy for work with the provided transportation. Visits from Westminster, CO to Craig, CO can be done in one day!

Cons

Utilities are not known for their ability to adapt and change at a pace consistent with technology. This is due to a number of factors and is not a Con so much as a warning. This is not Facebook folks.

Advice to Management

Continue to home grow your employees and hire those with a passion. If you are here to collect a paycheck only, this is not the company for you anymore. Change is coming, just at a utility pace.