TriWest Healthcare Alliance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David J Mcintyre Jr

Pros
  • Great company to work for I was there for 7 years before they lost the contract (in 5 reviews)

• Being able to help our veterans get healthcare in the community if there isn't a break in a procedure (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance, unreasonable expectations of staff, lack of recognition (in 6 reviews)

• They already have their circle built no one else matters to management (in 7 reviews)

1. "Really is a no stress job"

Current Employee - Administrative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is little pressure, always changing and the company is supportive. Really caring leadership.

Cons

Due to how much the company has grown, it still has some coordination and fine tuning of processes.

Advice to Management

HR appears to be your management, not the actual leadership. HR should advise, not manage and make management decisions.

2. "RN Care Coordinator"

Former Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I worked at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home after 6 months. At least that's what they tell people but then they have a million excuses why you can't WFH, so beware.

Cons

If I listed all of the cons I would be writing a book, but the cons include rampant discrimination, favoritism and the fact that the Manager, Supervisor and Team Lead never arrived or left work at a consistent time for the first 1 1/2 years. We were never told their work hours or days. It was common for them to arrive at 10 or 11 am, leave the building for 1-2 hours in the early afternoon and then log out of their computer for the day by 3pm. There were times when we would not see or hear from 1 or more of them for a week or longer and we were never told where they were or what was going on, but if you are 1 minute late you are written up.

Advice to Management

Stop the discrimination and favoritism.

"RN Care Coordinator San Diego"

Former Employee - RN Care Coordinator/Utilization Management in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - RN Care Coordinator/Utilization Management in San Diego, CA

I worked at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Telecommute; Rewarding to serve veterans; coworkers are nice which helps balance the constant negativity coming from management; if in the office, there is a nice waking trail outside to use during breaks

Cons

Bad management. Negative environment. Micromanaged on breaks/lunches/time off even though salary employee. Often felt hounded to "jump on the phones" and unable to focus on care coordination duties. No teamwork between departments.

Advice to Management

Provide more positive feedback to your employees. Happy employees leads to higher quality production.

4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time

Pros

This is a great company! I love that I get to work for the Veterans who have served our country.

Cons

It is contracted by the VA, so if there was ever a reason that the VA was to not renew the contract could be out of a job. However, don't see this happening.

"PSR"

Current Employee - PSR in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - PSR in Nashville, TN

I have been working at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To help Vets is a good intent. Need to place from top manager to bottom and start again!

Cons

Poor management. They only cater to younger people. They already have their circle built no one else matters to management. People walk around with their computers unlocked displaying Vets info. An employee feel and told manager she wouldn't report the accident because she smoked weed on break. Nothing but a circus with total clowns.

Advice to Management

Grow up stop catering to stupidness!

"In serious violation for multiple reasons"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I have been working at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

#1-It is wonderful to help veterans and thank them for their service to our country. #2-There is a definite 40 hours + available to work weekly. #3-The pay is not so bad.

Cons

#1-The computer systems are down or slow daily and make it difficult to do your job and help the veterans. #2-Supervisors have no clue about new procedures but want you to sign that you have read and understand the procedures. #3-The permanent employees are pampered and get away with everything while the contract employees are treated with contempt. #4-I have been witness to so many inconsistencies dealing with veterans. #5-The company violates contract employees rights by blaming the staffing agency. #6-Many of the company's higher up management are leaving because the contract is up for renewal with the government. #7-The company's location is moving and at this time, it still has yet to be announced where it will be moving to. #8-Mandatory overtime is overrated. #9-State law allows a parent up to 8 hours a month and up to 40 hours a year for any parent to attend school activities for their child and TriWest does not follow this law. #10-The training process is a completely irrelevant as everyone does as they see fit.

Advice to Management

The reason you have so many contract employees quit is because of the way you treat them. You should take some calls if you really want to advise others on how they are to do their job. Stop worrying about the potlucks and think more about the veterans. Fix the computers so a person can really do their job to the best of their ability. Mainstream procedures and become part of the solution. Most of all, learn to be honest with contract employees and treat them with respect and you may retain them.

"Only worth as a launchpad"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative Team Lead in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative Team Lead in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-if you want a company that you can get promoted relatively easily, take this job, get some leadership experience under your belt, and then move on to better paid opportunities.
    -the best supervisor I ever had was at this company. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have learned nearly as much as I did about management.
    - I enjoyed being able to help the VA, providers, and veterans.

Cons

- If you don't match up to your goals on paper, not much can save you.
    - The training program is largely inadequate. They try to cram all of your training into 2 weeks, when it should be at least a month, if not a month and a half long.
    - Extremely slow systems/ crashes daily -- even to the point of getting kicked out of your computer while on the phone! The computers have been this way for the almost two years that I've been with the company. No one seems to care.
    - There are so many companies around who pay much more than TriWest. TriWest pays Team Leads (TLs) about $17 an hour. At Cerner, an agent makes that much and TLs make about $25 an hour. At St. Luke's, the agents get about $18-19 an hour.
    - It was ultimately very hard to watch the slow process of TriWest cause delays of care daily.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees and don't just evaluate them by what's on paper. Listen to your leadership's insights.
    - Having a few people over such a large company is killing your company.
    - FIX YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEMS! We could be doing so much more if the system wasn't so slow! The thin clients were not designed for running 8+ programs.

"Patient Services Representative"

Current Employee - Outbound Patient Services Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to serve our Veterans; set Veterans up with medical appointments; satisfaction of knowing that those that have served our Country can be seen by a medical professional in a timely efficient manner.

Cons

Company is rather new; communication between Management and staff could improve; older computer software, which impacts work production. A lot of the learning is through "hear say" , through individuals on the floor. Call center setting; daily quotas not always met due to variances with San Francisco VA requirements.

9. "Communication Never Current"

Current Employee - PSR in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - PSR in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at TriWest Healthcare Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed hours and almost always overtime, open long hours in call center

Cons

Poor management, don't know federal and state laws for employee, pay hourly is significantly less than locally, high turnover (higher than fast food restaurants), work life balance (mgmt only can say that numbers matter)

Advice to Management

Communication is key to keeping employment longevity

"Shameful Treatment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at TriWest Healthcare Alliance (More than a year)

Pros

My former coworkers were a good group of people

Cons

The gossip, backstabbing, mismanagement, the IT department staffed by people who do not know a motherboard from press board. And for goodness sake, people, keep the daytime interludes to secluded places of the building... As far as opportunities to advance, if you consider moving from your desk to the parking lot each day advancement, well, this is the place for you. Management is one step away from beating employees with whips.

Advice to Management

Restructure that place, starting with the top. The people in the trenches are not the problem.