Triage Consulting Group Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
Cons
  • The lack of diversity in this company is astounding (in 12 reviews)

• On a day to day basis, I basically feel like I work at a call center / am some kind of collecting agent going after insurance companies for their money (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Place to Start Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Balance: Triage's balance is unparalleled in the consulting world. They expect you to come to work and work hard, but also provide many opportunities for fun in the work place as well. From two community service days a year, multiple happy hour celebrations, kickball tournaments, holiday potlucks, etc., Triage does a wonderful job keeping employees engaged and connected. Further, the PTO policies are generous and Triage also has family friendly work schedules to accommodate employees transitioning into new parenthood which is certainly a rarity in consulting.

-Professional Opportunity: I can't think of any other place that within 2 years from college graduation a young professional is afforded the opportunity to interact with and present to high level executives including CFOs of major Hospital Systems. While many reviews indicate that this is not truly "consulting" and is more of a call center, I would encourage these reviewers to give Triage more time. By design, the first 21 months at Triage are more auditing intensive, but the purpose of that is to prepare and teach employees about healthcare and Triage's consulting/revenue cycle metrics so that you actually understand the content you're providing to the clients once promoted to the Senior Associate role. As the old saying goes, "you can't put the cart before the horse..."

-Training: Triage provides exemplary training that if committed to engaging and participating, will equip Associates to do their job with excellence. Trainings at the Associate level are led by Triage Seniors, Managers, and Principals, so there is a lot of real-life experience woven throughout the training modules to make trainings relevant to day-to-day work. Further Senior Associates and Managers are provided trainings led by executives, MBA professors, etc., that offer a wide variety of soft and hard skills applicable to both healthcare and general professional development.

Leadership: Triage Managers and Principals bend over backwards to make sure employees are happy and they truly practice the "open door" policy. There is genuine care for all employees and it is evident that they truly want each employee to learn, grow, and flourish at Triage. The management group is truly second to none.

With regard to some of the comments re: diversity, Triage's employee pool can only be as diverse as the qualified individuals who apply so I don't necessarily think marks on lack of diversity are fair. Triage is taking every possible step and has expanded the recruiting footprint to achieve more diversity in the work place, so please apply if this is something that is holding you back!

I can't imagine a better place to have started my career. I take with me lifelong transferrable skills as well as role models whom I hope to some day emulate.

Cons

- There is certainly truth to remarks re: the young culture at Triage. By nature, employing tens of recent college graduates every year lends to a young culture with limited professional experience, and it can be hard to keep everyone happy all the time while teaching many people how to do their first real job in a professional setting. However, with that youth comes a lot of refreshing energy to the workplace and the business model works well for Triage.
    -For those who may have read on this site that Triage is a total frat house, my experience (as someone far removed from that scene) is that that is untrue. There are certainly those who enjoy to spend time "out" outside of work; however, there are just as many people who spend their time outdoors, reading, volunteering, at church/religious activities, and with family just as much. You absolutely do not have to be an avid happy hour attendee to achieve upward promotion at Triage, and this is not what gets you noticed by management. Triage truly recognizes hard work rewards accordingly.

Advice to Management

I would encourage Triage to continue to explore ways to monetarily incentivize employees.

2. "Great Job!"

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great company filled with supportive and friendly people. The company strives to be a balancing force in the healthcare market to combat increasingly powerful and greedy insurance companies. They help people get medical treatment who might otherwise not receive it.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Don't try to bury conflict, lean into it. It's the best way to learn new strategies.

"Experienced Associate"

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You simply can't beat the culture and camaraderie at Triage. Even as the office has grown, it feels as though everyone is your friend. In addition, management is very transparent and are very open to constructive criticism and implementing changes or additions suggested by employees. Triage employees also receive evaluations quite often and are therefore constantly aware of their career development standings, strengths, areas for improvement, and promotion potential. In terms of the work itself, Triage provides great experience in the consulting and healthcare world even for those with little to no experience. While the learning curve can be steep, everyone progresses exponentially in just a small amount of time due to the thoughtful training every new hire receives both from team leaders and from internal trainers during scheduled training sessions. Triage also sponsors Volunteer Time Off (VTO) for its employees and on top of that hosts 2 days per year of office-wide community service. Triage is philanthropic both to the community and to its employees; management is very understanding and accommodating of personal obligations and conflicts and is willing to be flexible in extenuating circumstances. Last but not least, Triage employees are some of the most fun and friendly people out there, and it's telling that they decide to hang out outside from work events (and there are a ton of Triage-sponsored social events where we all hang out too). Simply put, you can't beat the people or the culture.

Cons

The pros outweigh the cons, but as is the case anywhere, there are some cons. For one, the 401k matching is not ideal. Probably because most people are young and come fresh out of college and aren't yet thinking about retirement. The biggest con in my opinion is the heavy reliance on Microsoft Access. It's not hard to learn the basics of Access, but the process of importing account data into the databases, as well as auditing, can be strenuous and error-laden. Your progression to promotion depends in part on your technical skills, meaning Access maneuvering and troubleshooting. If you're someone who isn't so technically-inclined, this can be a particularly difficult part of your job. As a consultant, I was expecting to do the work and be a ‘consultant’ to clients, and not necessarily to have to become an Access expert at the same time. In my personal opinion, the company would benefit hugely from having a small team of Access experts to do the data download/import and general troubleshooting and auditing so that the teams can focus on doing the ‘consulting’ part of their job, recover money, and provide reporting back to clients. A new system to replace Access has been in the works for literally over a decade, so hopefully that can make headway in the near future and provide more efficiency in the workplace.

"Experienced Associate"

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to train newer associates, greater variety of work, participate in squads

Cons

still same routine of work, non-negotiable pay, no extra sick days, pay for parking

"Great Company and The Perfect Starter Job"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful Culture, Great Learning Opportunities, Solid Pay, Amazing Talent, and Good Upper Management

Cons

During the beginning of working here, the work load got a little repetitive but that goes away once you continue in the company. The people who work here start to all seem like the same person sometimes.

Advice to Management

Diversity your hires.

"Nothing near "consulting""

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, work-life balance and location

Cons

There is no incentive to stay at the company from a career development or a financial perspective. Pay structure is ridiculously rigid, so there is no incentive to go above and beyond simple expectations. A large portion of the employees are really immature so it feels like you're in college and management pays attention to the loudest, not necessarily the smartest. It honestly feels like you are working in a call center and no one any meaningful work.

"Resolution Claims Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, work-life balance, job-training, great benefits and PTO policy

Cons

not challenging, high employee turnover, low pay

"good first job but you are led on during recruitment to believe that this is a consulting position. It's not."

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4 weeks PTO (accrued)
    45 hour work week
    10 paid holidays
    Can get to work between 7:00am and 8:30am
    Teamwork skills
    Technical skills

Cons

They push you on hours. To management, 9 hours of work means straight work. If you take a 15 minute lunch that doesn't count toward hours. If you have a manager lunch it doesn't count toward hours. If you're sick and you need to leave early you need to make up those hours. You cannot work from home even though the work is entirely doable from home. Leaving before 4:30 is technically not allowed and some management will definitely comment on it.

It's unfortunate they call the position a consultant position. If they really believe we are consultants, then we are not like any other consultants out there. Client time is extremely minimal. Management builds relationships with the clients, not the associates who are "in the trenches" of data analysis, which sounds more like an analyst position to me.

Pay is ok; they say it's appropriate given the amount of work we do, but why would you graduate from a top tier school after working hard for good grades to get a job that doesn't ask you to work much and therefore doesn't pay you much?

Advice to Management

Make working from home a regular policy. Be transparent during recruitment and don't mislead people to believe this is any form of consulting.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group (Less than a year)

Pros

people, work life balance, senior management really caring

Cons

low pay, weak bonus structure, micromanagement

"Analyst"

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

I had an excellent time at the Triage Consulting Group. I would feel guilty if I didn't post a review of a company that deserves recognition for the work they do. The beauty about being an analyst is that a lot of people come from diverse backgrounds, and this creates awesome learning opportunities. While people do have economics and business degrees, a good amount of people who are analysts are being given a chance to enter the business world. Many companies didn't even take a second look at me, and I ended up being very comfortable and performing well at Triage. From day one, you will receive a trainer who is fully invested in you, and is matched based on how you like to work/learn. My trainer was EXCELLENT, and we had a constructive relationship the entire time. Mentorship wise, I was also given a senior mentor who was someone I could talk to about professional and personal growth within the company. With that being said, you can really rely on triage to be filled with employees who love what they do, and will go out of their way to help you. A company is nothing more than the people that compose it, and at Triage, you really will meet a ton of smart, fun, and driven employees. I would say the biggest pro at triage is Sean. Sean is the best boss you are going to have. End of story. You could probably write essays on how awesome Sean is as a boss. He is compassionate, understanding, and invested in your career. When I told my friends who work for other consulting firms about how down to earth Sean is, and how much he truly cares about us, they were absolutely shocked. At Triage, we are spoiled by how kind and helpful management is. You can go to them for anything, and they will always kindly listen to you. I would recommend the analyst position to my friends.

Cons

The biggest critique you will hear about the analyst position is that it can be redundant. I disagree. If you think there is any entry level job in which you are running the show, I'm going to curb your excitement now. The first year is always going to have an element of redundancy so you get a grip of the company structure, and most importantly learn. If you are driven, and want to transition to the associate track, it will happen for you. There is ample instruction on what's expected, many check-ins, and even a rubric that helps you keep on track. You can always ask for a variety of different work, and don't be afraid to just tap your Analyst II on the shoulder and ask to teach you new things. I promise you, they are not going to say no, and you are going to have a variety of things that you can do throughout the day. I've read a previous review about the analyst position, and as someone who is leaving, I really don't want that to be the final remark about the position. You are treated with respect everyday, and most of my close friends were associates. I was never "talked down to," and being friends with associates made me comfortable to ask them questions! I think the pros at triage definitely outweigh a slight con that is inherent to any entry job.

Triage Consulting Group Response

Jan 5, 2017 – Principal

It is wonderful to hear Triage has played an integral role in your professional development. We have expanded our recruiting efforts to a wide range of universities, and we attract a diverse pool of ... More