Triage Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The lack of diversity in this company is astounding (in 13 reviews)

• On a day to day basis, I basically feel like I work at a call center / am some kind of collecting agent going after insurance companies for their money (in 15 reviews)

"Great Company and The Perfect Starter Job"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful Culture, Great Learning Opportunities, Solid Pay, Amazing Talent, and Good Upper Management

Cons

During the beginning of working here, the work load got a little repetitive but that goes away once you continue in the company. The people who work here start to all seem like the same person sometimes.

Advice to Management

Diversity your hires.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Tons of training in the first two years
    - Management has open door policy, mentorship has been very positive
    - Project management opportunities within a year
    - Unbeatable work-life balance and PTO schedule
    - Highly motivated employees

Cons

- First year's work is a bit tedious and a lot of time spent on the phone, but is necessary to understand the work
    - Very strict promotion schedule with no early promotion options

3. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great onboarding/continuous training program
    -Collaborate with various coworkers through team rotations
    -Fun office environment
    -Gain auditing, excel, access, etc. skills
    -Support through trainers and mentor program
    -Welcomes people with various academic backgrounds
    -4 weeks PTO
    -Work/life balance

Cons

-Strict hours
    -No incentive to go above and beyond what is expected
    -Little diversity, surrounded by likeminded people
    -High turnover rate
    -Happiness at company depends on team placement

Advice to Management

Be straightforward when describing the associate position in interviews. Recruit outside of CA schools more. Focus on quality of employees over quantity.

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good career trajectory, interesting work as you gain tenure.

Cons

Fratty culture, sometimes dull work, poor pay.

"Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and work life balance. Good transition from college to working environment. Central san francisco location.

Cons

Work can be repetitive. Depends greatly on the project to which you are assigned

"Nothing near "consulting""

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, work-life balance and location

Cons

There is no incentive to stay at the company from a career development or a financial perspective. Pay structure is ridiculously rigid, so there is no incentive to go above and beyond simple expectations. A large portion of the employees are really immature so it feels like you're in college and management pays attention to the loudest, not necessarily the smartest. It honestly feels like you are working in a call center and no one any meaningful work.

"Fantastic First Job"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Triage Consulting Group was a wonderful first job out of college. I was able to learn quite a bit about healthcare administration, insurance contracts, and negotiation. The company culture is very strong and the people are great

Cons

Though traveling for work initially has its perks, it gets old. However, more and more projects are moving to being fully in the San Francisco office so this may no longer be an issue. Some of the work is a bit tedious but luckily people rotate projects every four months which keeps things interesting

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, fun people, great leadership opportunities.

Cons

Work can be a bit monotonous at first, but early leadership opportunities quickly make the work interesting and challenging.

Advice to Management

N/A

Triage Consulting Group Response

Jan 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your positive outlook. We’re happy to hear you have taken advantage of early leadership opportunities here at Triage. We attribute our teaching and caring culture to our employees (like... More

"Be VERY CAREFUL before accepting. Only if you “fit the mold.”"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance.
    Great PTO - up to 21 days per year.
    Job itself isn’t too stressful.
    Dinners and events paid for.

Cons

… let me tell you.

Extremely homogenous. Mold-Fitting. Diversity is lacking.

Not as business-oriented as you think. Job isn’t actually consulting. Not as much learning or transferrable skills.

Lack of direct and explicit communication. Very passive-agressive and condescending communication style. Somewhat immature with double-standards.
    *This is a huge problem as you have to learn a lot of detailed info on the job.

Triage is a great fit for some, you’ll know if you’re one of these people. Many of the positive reviews on this Glassdoor page are people who “fit in” quite well.

However, if you don’t fit the mold, I would think very carefully before accepting the job, and would advise you to consider your other options first.

This especially applies if you:
    a) Consider yourself a unique individual or value authenticity.
    b) Thrive in upbeat, engaging, merit-based, no-nonsense work environments
    c) Value diversity in the workplace
    d) Any or all of the above

First, the job itself:

The job isn’t stressful and not a bad gig out of college, especially if you want to leverage your science degree as a former pre-med.

But it’s not actually consulting until you’re at least two years in. They say in the interview it’s 50% consulting and 50% Auditing, but in reality its 10% consulting and 90% grunt work.

The work is very niche, and the skills aren’t necessarily transferrable to other consulting jobs until your second or third year. So while this job may look good on paper, you’re not learning a whole lot for the business world or consulting world. All depends what you want.

Now for the company culture:

This company is EXTREMELY homogeneous. Not just ethnically, but in terms of personality type, interests, background, etc. I’ve never seen anything like it.

In a nutshell, if you don’t fit the mold, you’ll find it difficult to communicate, learn and collaborate in the job, and you’ll feel isolated.

I found work-related communication to be shockingly and sometimes laughably difficult. You have to learn detailed info while on the job, but when you ask questions to a co-worker they answer extremely condescendingly. If you don’t talk the way they do, they’ll talk to you in a way that makes it seem like something is wrong with you.

There were a few times where (I swear I'm not making this up), I'd ask a pointed question and I’d get a response that was literally the question repeated back to me in the form of an answer.

This is coming from someone who’s worked with and lead a variety of different people at other full-time jobs and at a good university. The only other resources you have for learning on your own and getting the job done right are two info databases. They help sometimes, but are useless most of the time.

Talking with seniors was a whole other ballgame:

They are VERY Hierarchal. Even though your seniors are only 1-3 years older than you, you have to “address” them the proper way. And there’s all these implicit expectations which wouldn't be too bad if they were at least laid out and communicated properly.

You have a senior who directly oversees you on the project, but often times evaluations are based on how you fit into the senior’s clique or how he/she likes you, rather than any sort of real merit or career development help.

Seniors are often very passive-agressive and indirect in communication.

They often communicate standards and expectations reactively through e-mail. If you take the initiative and try to communicate more directly, they avoid or dismiss the conversation politely or give more passive-agressive responses. As in if they never explicitly tell you when something you're doing is wrong even though you can tell there is a problem and you don't know what they're expecting.

Also there are many double-standards. They can enforce their written rules strictly and have you written up, but for others, they'll let those same rules slip or go unnoticed. These all go into your evaluations.

Whey they talk about the company culture, what they really mean is people who are exactly. like. them. I’d probably avoid this place if you’ve held a decent full-time job anywhere else especially in the Bay Area.

And finally, on that note:

The lack of diversity in this company is astounding. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Go ahead and scroll up to the pros and cons section above these reviews, click the “lack of diversity” link in the cons listing (it’s the first one), and everything that each reviewer says about diversity is actually pretty accurate.

There's a decent number of Asian and Indian-Americans, but that's it. There were three African-Americans and two Hispanic-Americans I saw in the office. They were all very much on the "quieter" side and were very soft-spoken.

I'm not Black or Latino, but I have many friends who are. If you're Black or Latino, and diversity-related issues are important to you (like they should be to most people), I would seriously avoid this place like the plague. Otherwise get ready for some exhaustive code-switching.

It's not rare to hear "Oh those protesters downtown were so annoying" and other things like that. They're heavily based on recruitment - I'm pretty sure when they go to their old schools to recruit, the girls just go to their old sororities and pull in people from there.

If you're a person of color looking to go into consulting specifically - my advice would be to go for one of the mainstream consulting firms - they actually value and promote diversity. From what I've heard, you'd have a community and network there - and mentors who can guide you along the way and help you learn. The hours might be a little longer, but you'll be doing *real* consulting :)

For me, the interview process was very enjoyable. But that was pretty much the highlight of the job.

Advice to Management

Break the bubble, increase diversity, change management and leadership styles, communicate expectations and standards clearly and properly.

"Good"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group (Less than a year)

Pros

It is the perfect place to launch a career after college

Cons

Work can be really boring

Advice to Management

Dont be afraid to be innovative