Triage Consulting Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
Cons
  • The lack of diversity in this company is astounding (in 11 reviews)

• On a day to day basis, I basically feel like I work at a call center / am some kind of collecting agent going after insurance companies for their money (in 15 reviews)

"Great Place to Learn"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Triage offers a comfortable environment to acquire and develop business acumen and professional skills. The management at Triage is very supportive and encouraging. Triage offers the fun of a young company, with the security of a well-established, long-standing organization.

Cons

Salaries at Triage are reasonable, but not as competitive as you may find elsewhere. The promotion opportunities are fixed, so regardless of how hard you work you will move at the same pace.

Advice to Management

Triage should work on increasing diversity. The office is overwhelmingly white and upper middle class, while this is understandable based on where they recruit from, Triage should make a concerted effort to hire more people who do not fit the white, fraternity/sorority mold.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Tons of training in the first two years
    - Management has open door policy, mentorship has been very positive
    - Project management opportunities within a year
    - Unbeatable work-life balance and PTO schedule
    - Highly motivated employees

Cons

- First year's work is a bit tedious and a lot of time spent on the phone, but is necessary to understand the work
    - Very strict promotion schedule with no early promotion options

3. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great onboarding/continuous training program
    -Collaborate with various coworkers through team rotations
    -Fun office environment
    -Gain auditing, excel, access, etc. skills
    -Support through trainers and mentor program
    -Welcomes people with various academic backgrounds
    -4 weeks PTO
    -Work/life balance

Cons

-Strict hours
    -No incentive to go above and beyond what is expected
    -Little diversity, surrounded by likeminded people
    -High turnover rate
    -Happiness at company depends on team placement

Advice to Management

Be straightforward when describing the associate position in interviews. Recruit outside of CA schools more. Focus on quality of employees over quantity.

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good career trajectory, interesting work as you gain tenure.

Cons

Fratty culture, sometimes dull work, poor pay.

"Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and work life balance. Good transition from college to working environment. Central san francisco location.

Cons

Work can be repetitive. Depends greatly on the project to which you are assigned

"Fantastic First Job"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Triage Consulting Group was a wonderful first job out of college. I was able to learn quite a bit about healthcare administration, insurance contracts, and negotiation. The company culture is very strong and the people are great

Cons

Though traveling for work initially has its perks, it gets old. However, more and more projects are moving to being fully in the San Francisco office so this may no longer be an issue. Some of the work is a bit tedious but luckily people rotate projects every four months which keeps things interesting

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, fun people, great leadership opportunities.

Cons

Work can be a bit monotonous at first, but early leadership opportunities quickly make the work interesting and challenging.

Advice to Management

N/A

Triage Consulting Group Response

Jan 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your positive outlook. We’re happy to hear you have taken advantage of early leadership opportunities here at Triage. We attribute our teaching and caring culture to our employees (like ... More

"Be VERY CAREFUL before accepting. Only if you “fit the mold.”"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance.
    Great PTO - up to 21 days per year.
    Job itself isn’t too stressful.
    Dinners and events paid for.

Cons

… let me tell you.

Extremely homogenous. Mold-Fitting. Diversity is lacking.

Not as business-oriented as you think. Job isn’t actually consulting. Not as much learning or transferrable skills.

Lack of direct and explicit communication. Very passive-agressive and condescending communication style. Somewhat immature with double-standards.
    *This is a huge problem as you have to learn a lot of detailed info on the job.

Triage is a great fit for some, you’ll know if you’re one of these people. Many of the positive reviews on this Glassdoor page are people who “fit in” quite well.

However, if you don’t fit the mold, I would think very carefully before accepting the job, and would advise you to consider your other options first.

This especially applies if you:
    a) Consider yourself a unique individual or value authenticity.
    b) Thrive in upbeat, engaging, merit-based, no-nonsense work environments
    c) Value diversity in the workplace
    d) Any or all of the above

First, the job itself:

The job isn’t stressful and not a bad gig out of college, especially if you want to leverage your science degree as a former pre-med.

But it’s not actually consulting until you’re at least two years in. They say in the interview it’s 50% consulting and 50% Auditing, but in reality its 10% consulting and 90% grunt work.

The work is very niche, and the skills aren’t necessarily transferrable to other consulting jobs until your second or third year. So while this job may look good on paper, you’re not learning a whole lot for the business world or consulting world. All depends what you want.

Now for the company culture:

This company is EXTREMELY homogeneous. Not just ethnically, but in terms of personality type, interests, background, etc. I’ve never seen anything like it.

In a nutshell, if you don’t fit the mold, you’ll find it difficult to communicate, learn and collaborate in the job, and you’ll feel isolated.

I found work-related communication to be shockingly and sometimes laughably difficult. You have to learn detailed info while on the job, but when you ask questions to a co-worker they answer extremely condescendingly. If you don’t talk the way they do, they’ll talk to you in a way that makes it seem like something is wrong with you.

There were a few times where (I swear I'm not making this up), I'd ask a pointed question and I’d get a response that was literally the question repeated back to me in the form of an answer.

This is coming from someone who’s worked with and lead a variety of different people at other full-time jobs and at a good university. The only other resources you have for learning on your own and getting the job done right are two info databases. They help sometimes, but are useless most of the time.

Talking with seniors was a whole other ballgame:

They are VERY Hierarchal. Even though your seniors are only 1-3 years older than you, you have to “address” them the proper way. And there’s all these implicit expectations which wouldn't be too bad if they were at least laid out and communicated properly.

You have a senior who directly oversees you on the project, but often times evaluations are based on how you fit into the senior’s clique or how he/she likes you, rather than any sort of real merit or career development help.

Seniors are often very passive-agressive and indirect in communication.

They often communicate standards and expectations reactively through e-mail. If you take the initiative and try to communicate more directly, they avoid or dismiss the conversation politely or give more passive-agressive responses. As in if they never explicitly tell you when something you're doing is wrong even though you can tell there is a problem and you don't know what they're expecting.

Also there are many double-standards. They can enforce their written rules strictly and have you written up, but for others, they'll let those same rules slip or go unnoticed. These all go into your evaluations.

Whey they talk about the company culture, what they really mean is people who are exactly. like. them. I’d probably avoid this place if you’ve held a decent full-time job anywhere else especially in the Bay Area.

And finally, on that note:

The lack of diversity in this company is astounding. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Go ahead and scroll up to the pros and cons section above these reviews, click the “lack of diversity” link in the cons listing (it’s the first one), and everything that each reviewer says about diversity is actually pretty accurate.

There's a decent number of Asian and Indian-Americans, but that's it. There were three African-Americans and two Hispanic-Americans I saw in the office. They were all very much on the "quieter" side and were very soft-spoken.

I'm not Black or Latino, but I have many friends who are. If you're Black or Latino, and diversity-related issues are important to you (like they should be to most people), I would seriously avoid this place like the plague. Otherwise get ready for some exhaustive code-switching.

It's not rare to hear "Oh those protesters downtown were so annoying" and other things like that. They're heavily based on recruitment - I'm pretty sure when they go to their old schools to recruit, the girls just go to their old sororities and pull in people from there.

If you're a person of color looking to go into consulting specifically - my advice would be to go for one of the mainstream consulting firms - they actually value and promote diversity. From what I've heard, you'd have a community and network there - and mentors who can guide you along the way and help you learn. The hours might be a little longer, but you'll be doing *real* consulting :)

For me, the interview process was very enjoyable. But that was pretty much the highlight of the job.

Advice to Management

Break the bubble, increase diversity, change management and leadership styles, communicate expectations and standards clearly and properly.

"Good"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group (Less than a year)

Pros

It is the perfect place to launch a career after college

Cons

Work can be really boring

Advice to Management

Dont be afraid to be innovative

"good first job but you'll want to move on ASAP"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) People - like everyone says, the people are great. It’s hard to tell if everyone is being fake or not but either way it's nice to be around colleagues your own age, and it is a great transition after college in that sense

2) Business Professional Experience - as a first job, it gives a good intro to dressing and behaving professionally, as well as a preview of office politics for future jobs

3) Start Group / Training - it's really cool how you go through orientation week and future trainings with the same group of people. Part of the reason I don't want to leave is because I want to get to know these people more! Especially if you've just moved to San Francisco, it’s a cool way to find your people.

4) Office location - my favorite thing about Triage! The 221 Main office is by the water, and conveniently close to all public transportation (muni, bus, ferry, etc)

5) Travel per diems. When you travel you get $62 a day for food etc. Definitely a financial benefit to travel, and you can use the flight money to "wrap" and go somewhere the weekend before if you get lucky enough to be on a travel project that includes a Monday on the client site.

6) VTO - Volunteer time off is a really cool thing that Triage does. You get 8 hours per year (two 4 hour blocks) to go volunteer with co-workers through one of Triage's partner organizations.

Cons

1) RECRUITING FALSE ADVERTISING - this is NOT CONSULTING. If you want to work in a consulting firm, look elsewhere. I'm honestly embarrassed to say my job title is "Associate Consultant" and that I work for a company with "consulting" in the name because that is NOT what I do or what Triage does. Triage is a "vendor" aka collecting agency for hospitals. On a day to day basis, I basically feel like I work at a call center / am some kind of collecting agent going after insurance companies for their money.

2) Also, HOURS. Triage brags about having this great work-life balance in comparison to other consulting firms. As far as I'm concerned, the reason people at typical consulting firms work such long hours is because they have so much work to do that they have to stay to get it done! At Triage the work is painfully boring and you can easily be productive and finish a reasonable amount of work in a 6 - 7 hour day. But you are expected to work 9 hour days... Even if you're not being productive, the HOURS are what matter, not the work you are doing. This creates an environment where people are unproductive. No matter how much work you do or don't do you’re still going to have to stay the same amount of time. They are ridiculously strict about impressing it upon new hires that they must meet their hours. Oh, but holidays (i.e. labor day and Christmas etc, and PTO days) only count at 8 hours. This is wildly unfair and makes no sense!! Someone asked why we only book 8 hours for a day of paid time off, and the answer given was "because 8 hours is a standard work day" ... BUT our work day is 9 hours! Also, they tell you the job is 8-5 but that doesn't include lunch, so people often eat at their desks which is so unhealthy. If you take lunch, you have to stay longer to make it up. Also, you have mandatory training days on which you only get to book 8 hours, so you are expected to work extra to make that up. And when you wake up at 4am to get on a 6am flight for a work trip, if you don't land and get to the business office until 9am you can't say you started working until then... so you have to make up those hours too. AKA You are expected to work EXTRA if you spend extra time work getting to and from work / are traveling for work.

3) NOT REWARDING whatsoever - I don't feel rewarded/fulfilled in any way by what I do or really believe that the company is doing something meaningful. They try to spin it that we are helping hospitals, but it becomes obvious very quickly that it's all about the money for Triage. If we find a bulk issue, instead of telling the client about it so they can fix it (like you'd think a consulting company should do), we capitalize on that and find a bunch of money for ourselves from it. The fact is, if we actually had the goal of helping the hospitals we would run ourselves out of a job!

4) Office Politics / Fake Culture - everyone says the culture is what makes Triage great, but I think it is pretty obviously all a facade. The company likes to boast they have a great culture and have "fun" as a core value, but there is a lot of ridiculous petty stuff that happens behind the scenes. If you say or do something out of line, you will hear that it isn't ok through some round about email chain of someone who had to email someone to tell someone to tell you it wasn't ok ETC. Why can't people say something outright??

5) Triage has things called Associate Roundtables and Senior Circles / Town Hall that the company can use to boast that it is open to feedback. However, everyone knows that these forums are exclusively in place so that Triage can say they exist. A Senior Circle is where a bunch of seniors come together and share their grievances about things that need to be changed at Triage (like the unfair hours I mentioned). Then, supposedly they can bring their concerns up with the CEO and he'll address them. However, everyone knows that nothing ever comes of this! No change is made.

6) Pay is not competitive - They haven't adjusted the starting salary significantly in the past decade while cost of living in San Francisco has skyrocketed. It is appalling that Atlanta employees make just 3k per year less than SF employees, which is supposedly "adjusted" for cost of living difference.

7) Very niche skills - the learning curve is steep, but after a certain point I think people who stay are doing themselves a disservice in terms of future career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be transparent during recruiting! Tell people what Triage really is. An 8-5 work day should include a break for lunch ! If employees are expected to work 9 hour days, then PTO and holidays and trainings should also be considered 9 hour days...