Triage Consulting Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
Cons
  • The lack of diversity in this company is astounding (in 12 reviews)

• On a day to day basis, I basically feel like I work at a call center / am some kind of collecting agent going after insurance companies for their money (in 15 reviews)

1. "Recent Grad Life then get out"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, great energy, very 9-5, good exposure to corporate culture, great opportunity to develop people skills, nice managers

Cons

very little hard skills involved, no strategy, no innovation, slow promotion ladder, low salary,

Advice to Management

allow people at lower levels to have more ownership of direction, reporting strategy, do more process improvement services in alignment with financial reporting

2. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great onboarding/continuous training program
    -Collaborate with various coworkers through team rotations
    -Fun office environment
    -Gain auditing, excel, access, etc. skills
    -Support through trainers and mentor program
    -Welcomes people with various academic backgrounds
    -4 weeks PTO
    -Work/life balance

Cons

-Strict hours
    -No incentive to go above and beyond what is expected
    -Little diversity, surrounded by likeminded people
    -High turnover rate
    -Happiness at company depends on team placement

Advice to Management

Be straightforward when describing the associate position in interviews. Recruit outside of CA schools more. Focus on quality of employees over quantity.

"Associate Consultant"

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good career trajectory, interesting work as you gain tenure.

Cons

Fratty culture, sometimes dull work, poor pay.

"good first job but you'll want to move on ASAP"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) People - like everyone says, the people are great. It’s hard to tell if everyone is being fake or not but either way it's nice to be around colleagues your own age, and it is a great transition after college in that sense

2) Business Professional Experience - as a first job, it gives a good intro to dressing and behaving professionally, as well as a preview of office politics for future jobs

3) Start Group / Training - it's really cool how you go through orientation week and future trainings with the same group of people. Part of the reason I don't want to leave is because I want to get to know these people more! Especially if you've just moved to San Francisco, it’s a cool way to find your people.

4) Office location - my favorite thing about Triage! The 221 Main office is by the water, and conveniently close to all public transportation (muni, bus, ferry, etc)

5) Travel per diems. When you travel you get $62 a day for food etc. Definitely a financial benefit to travel, and you can use the flight money to "wrap" and go somewhere the weekend before if you get lucky enough to be on a travel project that includes a Monday on the client site.

6) VTO - Volunteer time off is a really cool thing that Triage does. You get 8 hours per year (two 4 hour blocks) to go volunteer with co-workers through one of Triage's partner organizations.

Cons

1) RECRUITING FALSE ADVERTISING - this is NOT CONSULTING. If you want to work in a consulting firm, look elsewhere. I'm honestly embarrassed to say my job title is "Associate Consultant" and that I work for a company with "consulting" in the name because that is NOT what I do or what Triage does. Triage is a "vendor" aka collecting agency for hospitals. On a day to day basis, I basically feel like I work at a call center / am some kind of collecting agent going after insurance companies for their money.

2) Also, HOURS. Triage brags about having this great work-life balance in comparison to other consulting firms. As far as I'm concerned, the reason people at typical consulting firms work such long hours is because they have so much work to do that they have to stay to get it done! At Triage the work is painfully boring and you can easily be productive and finish a reasonable amount of work in a 6 - 7 hour day. But you are expected to work 9 hour days... Even if you're not being productive, the HOURS are what matter, not the work you are doing. This creates an environment where people are unproductive. No matter how much work you do or don't do you’re still going to have to stay the same amount of time. They are ridiculously strict about impressing it upon new hires that they must meet their hours. Oh, but holidays (i.e. labor day and Christmas etc, and PTO days) only count at 8 hours. This is wildly unfair and makes no sense!! Someone asked why we only book 8 hours for a day of paid time off, and the answer given was "because 8 hours is a standard work day" ... BUT our work day is 9 hours! Also, they tell you the job is 8-5 but that doesn't include lunch, so people often eat at their desks which is so unhealthy. If you take lunch, you have to stay longer to make it up. Also, you have mandatory training days on which you only get to book 8 hours, so you are expected to work extra to make that up. And when you wake up at 4am to get on a 6am flight for a work trip, if you don't land and get to the business office until 9am you can't say you started working until then... so you have to make up those hours too. AKA You are expected to work EXTRA if you spend extra time work getting to and from work / are traveling for work.

3) NOT REWARDING whatsoever - I don't feel rewarded/fulfilled in any way by what I do or really believe that the company is doing something meaningful. They try to spin it that we are helping hospitals, but it becomes obvious very quickly that it's all about the money for Triage. If we find a bulk issue, instead of telling the client about it so they can fix it (like you'd think a consulting company should do), we capitalize on that and find a bunch of money for ourselves from it. The fact is, if we actually had the goal of helping the hospitals we would run ourselves out of a job!

4) Office Politics / Fake Culture - everyone says the culture is what makes Triage great, but I think it is pretty obviously all a facade. The company likes to boast they have a great culture and have "fun" as a core value, but there is a lot of ridiculous petty stuff that happens behind the scenes. If you say or do something out of line, you will hear that it isn't ok through some round about email chain of someone who had to email someone to tell someone to tell you it wasn't ok ETC. Why can't people say something outright??

5) Triage has things called Associate Roundtables and Senior Circles / Town Hall that the company can use to boast that it is open to feedback. However, everyone knows that these forums are exclusively in place so that Triage can say they exist. A Senior Circle is where a bunch of seniors come together and share their grievances about things that need to be changed at Triage (like the unfair hours I mentioned). Then, supposedly they can bring their concerns up with the CEO and he'll address them. However, everyone knows that nothing ever comes of this! No change is made.

6) Pay is not competitive - They haven't adjusted the starting salary significantly in the past decade while cost of living in San Francisco has skyrocketed. It is appalling that Atlanta employees make just 3k per year less than SF employees, which is supposedly "adjusted" for cost of living difference.

7) Very niche skills - the learning curve is steep, but after a certain point I think people who stay are doing themselves a disservice in terms of future career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be transparent during recruiting! Tell people what Triage really is. An 8-5 work day should include a break for lunch ! If employees are expected to work 9 hour days, then PTO and holidays and trainings should also be considered 9 hour days...

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation time, people are great, mentorship program, work life balance

Cons

Relatively low salary for San Francisco, not really consulting, boring work

Advice to Management

Be open to change

"Associat Consultant"

Current Employee - Experienced Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture
    Opportunity to lead a team after 2 years

Cons

Monotonous work
    Very soft culture, so communication is ineffective to staff. Often needed constructive criticism is not made due to the uncomfortable nature of giving feedback

"Associate Consultant"

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great, friendly, and the company places a lot of emphasis on making it a fun work environment. Great benefits like 20 days of PTO and 401K matching.

Cons

Promotions are tenure-based, so employees are unmotivated. The work is also monotonous and your experience can vary greatly from project to project. No sick days, so people come to work sick to avoid using PTO.

"Stress-Free Monotony"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Very easy, stress-free daily work. Very reasonable hours (8am-5pm). No work-responsibilities once you leave the office. 20 vacation days per year. An extra $52 per day that you're traveling. A good career launch pad.

Cons

Super boring daily work. Same thing everyday- mostly waiting on hold with insurance companies.
    Ridiculously uptight about office politics. Rules, rules, rules. Dress code Nazis. My middle school principal was more laid back- I went to a Catholic school.
    Unnecessary travel and the hours that you're traveling are not considered work hours.

Advice to Management

Take it down a notch on the office politics. It takes a lot of time and energy to deal with that stuff. A better use of employee and management time is doing actual work!

9. "Great People"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with some of the most fun people you will ever meet. Company happy hours and trips are legendary. Travel perks are nice. Great work life balance.

Cons

The day to day work can be a bit monotonous. Most of the best people leave after a couple of years. Not enough intensive to stay.

"Great opportunity to live like a college student as a post grad"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people, the people, the people. Triage does a great job of hiring social college students who will go out of their way to make the most of a fun, post-Greek-life company culture.
    -The hours are steady at 45 hours per week. I never had to stay late, never answered an email outside of the office, and never had to come in on the weekend.
    -If you are competent and have a decent attitude, you will get promoted to Senior Associate at 21 months. No sooner, no later. If you dislike uncertainty, this could be a great pro. This is a fairly quick path to actual project management.
    -If you are intelligent and ambitious, you can leverage the job into a far better one. The top 10-25% of Triagers leave for solid jobs in tech, banking (occasionally), or top 10 MBA programs.
    -There is a focus on developing professional, soft skills that is useful for college grads with no real full-time business experience prior to this job.

Cons

-There is almost no differentiation between high performers and mediocre performers. As mentioned before, if you are truly incompetent or have a poor attitude, you will not get the Senior Associate promotion. Otherwise, you will get promoted, and high performers can lose steam when they realize how easily others can coast along and receive the same evaluation score.
    -Don't expect "consulting" work for the first 2 years. Expect to audit hospital claims data, peruse through the shorthand notes of claims administrators, and spend the vast majority of your time navigating through insurance phone webs trying to find out where a specific claim’s reimbursement process went wrong. Unless you want to work in healthcare management or a hospital billing department, you'll learn a lot of the minutia about one very specific niche of healthcare that won't apply to your future career.
    -If you rent an apartment in SF, the starting salary does not go a long way.

Advice to Management

With no external differentiation between high and low performers, Triage is relying on the personal drive within high performers to keep them motivated. If people aren't channeling their drive towards their work work, they'll channel it towards job hunting.
    Management could incentivize Associates with a promotion path contingent on performance. The very top performers are ready to be a second Senior on their fourth or fifth project, while others could be promoted at their sixth or seventh project. Rather than striving to be “good enough” to get promoted at 21 months, your top performers would work harder to prove that they are ready for more responsibility and a raise sooner than others.