Triage Consulting Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Triage Consulting Group San Francisco Reviews

Updated June 19, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

Pros
Cons
  • The lack of diversity in this company is astounding (in 11 reviews)

• On a day to day basis, I basically feel like I work at a call center / am some kind of collecting agent going after insurance companies for their money (in 15 reviews)

"Be VERY CAREFUL before accepting. Only if you “fit the mold.”"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance.
    Great PTO - up to 21 days per year.
    Job itself isn’t too stressful.
    Dinners and events paid for.

Cons

… let me tell you.

Extremely homogenous. Mold-Fitting. Diversity is lacking.

Not as business-oriented as you think. Job isn’t actually consulting. Not as much learning or transferrable skills.

Lack of direct and explicit communication. Very passive-agressive and condescending communication style. Somewhat immature with double-standards.
    *This is a huge problem as you have to learn a lot of detailed info on the job.

Triage is a great fit for some, you’ll know if you’re one of these people. Many of the positive reviews on this Glassdoor page are people who “fit in” quite well.

However, if you don’t fit the mold, I would think very carefully before accepting the job, and would advise you to consider your other options first.

This especially applies if you:
    a) Consider yourself a unique individual or value authenticity.
    b) Thrive in upbeat, engaging, merit-based, no-nonsense work environments
    c) Value diversity in the workplace
    d) Any or all of the above

First, the job itself:

The job isn’t stressful and not a bad gig out of college, especially if you want to leverage your science degree as a former pre-med.

But it’s not actually consulting until you’re at least two years in. They say in the interview it’s 50% consulting and 50% Auditing, but in reality its 10% consulting and 90% grunt work.

The work is very niche, and the skills aren’t necessarily transferrable to other consulting jobs until your second or third year. So while this job may look good on paper, you’re not learning a whole lot for the business world or consulting world. All depends what you want.

Now for the company culture:

This company is EXTREMELY homogeneous. Not just ethnically, but in terms of personality type, interests, background, etc. I’ve never seen anything like it.

In a nutshell, if you don’t fit the mold, you’ll find it difficult to communicate, learn and collaborate in the job, and you’ll feel isolated.

I found work-related communication to be shockingly and sometimes laughably difficult. You have to learn detailed info while on the job, but when you ask questions to a co-worker they answer extremely condescendingly. If you don’t talk the way they do, they’ll talk to you in a way that makes it seem like something is wrong with you.

There were a few times where (I swear I'm not making this up), I'd ask a pointed question and I’d get a response that was literally the question repeated back to me in the form of an answer.

This is coming from someone who’s worked with and lead a variety of different people at other full-time jobs and at a good university. The only other resources you have for learning on your own and getting the job done right are two info databases. They help sometimes, but are useless most of the time.

Talking with seniors was a whole other ballgame:

They are VERY Hierarchal. Even though your seniors are only 1-3 years older than you, you have to “address” them the proper way. And there’s all these implicit expectations which wouldn't be too bad if they were at least laid out and communicated properly.

You have a senior who directly oversees you on the project, but often times evaluations are based on how you fit into the senior’s clique or how he/she likes you, rather than any sort of real merit or career development help.

Seniors are often very passive-agressive and indirect in communication.

They often communicate standards and expectations reactively through e-mail. If you take the initiative and try to communicate more directly, they avoid or dismiss the conversation politely or give more passive-agressive responses. As in if they never explicitly tell you when something you're doing is wrong even though you can tell there is a problem and you don't know what they're expecting.

Also there are many double-standards. They can enforce their written rules strictly and have you written up, but for others, they'll let those same rules slip or go unnoticed. These all go into your evaluations.

Whey they talk about the company culture, what they really mean is people who are exactly. like. them. I’d probably avoid this place if you’ve held a decent full-time job anywhere else especially in the Bay Area.

And finally, on that note:

The lack of diversity in this company is astounding. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Go ahead and scroll up to the pros and cons section above these reviews, click the “lack of diversity” link in the cons listing (it’s the first one), and everything that each reviewer says about diversity is actually pretty accurate.

There's a decent number of Asian and Indian-Americans, but that's it. There were three African-Americans and two Hispanic-Americans I saw in the office. They were all very much on the "quieter" side and were very soft-spoken.

I'm not Black or Latino, but I have many friends who are. If you're Black or Latino, and diversity-related issues are important to you (like they should be to most people), I would seriously avoid this place like the plague. Otherwise get ready for some exhaustive code-switching.

It's not rare to hear "Oh those protesters downtown were so annoying" and other things like that. They're heavily based on recruitment - I'm pretty sure when they go to their old schools to recruit, the girls just go to their old sororities and pull in people from there.

If you're a person of color looking to go into consulting specifically - my advice would be to go for one of the mainstream consulting firms - they actually value and promote diversity. From what I've heard, you'd have a community and network there - and mentors who can guide you along the way and help you learn. The hours might be a little longer, but you'll be doing *real* consulting :)

For me, the interview process was very enjoyable. But that was pretty much the highlight of the job.

Advice to Management

Break the bubble, increase diversity, change management and leadership styles, communicate expectations and standards clearly and properly.

"Good"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group (Less than a year)

Pros

It is the perfect place to launch a career after college

Cons

Work can be really boring

Advice to Management

Dont be afraid to be innovative

"good first job but you'll want to move on ASAP"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) People - like everyone says, the people are great. It’s hard to tell if everyone is being fake or not but either way it's nice to be around colleagues your own age, and it is a great transition after college in that sense

2) Business Professional Experience - as a first job, it gives a good intro to dressing and behaving professionally, as well as a preview of office politics for future jobs

3) Start Group / Training - it's really cool how you go through orientation week and future trainings with the same group of people. Part of the reason I don't want to leave is because I want to get to know these people more! Especially if you've just moved to San Francisco, it’s a cool way to find your people.

4) Office location - my favorite thing about Triage! The 221 Main office is by the water, and conveniently close to all public transportation (muni, bus, ferry, etc)

5) Travel per diems. When you travel you get $62 a day for food etc. Definitely a financial benefit to travel, and you can use the flight money to "wrap" and go somewhere the weekend before if you get lucky enough to be on a travel project that includes a Monday on the client site.

6) VTO - Volunteer time off is a really cool thing that Triage does. You get 8 hours per year (two 4 hour blocks) to go volunteer with co-workers through one of Triage's partner organizations.

Cons

1) RECRUITING FALSE ADVERTISING - this is NOT CONSULTING. If you want to work in a consulting firm, look elsewhere. I'm honestly embarrassed to say my job title is "Associate Consultant" and that I work for a company with "consulting" in the name because that is NOT what I do or what Triage does. Triage is a "vendor" aka collecting agency for hospitals. On a day to day basis, I basically feel like I work at a call center / am some kind of collecting agent going after insurance companies for their money.

2) Also, HOURS. Triage brags about having this great work-life balance in comparison to other consulting firms. As far as I'm concerned, the reason people at typical consulting firms work such long hours is because they have so much work to do that they have to stay to get it done! At Triage the work is painfully boring and you can easily be productive and finish a reasonable amount of work in a 6 - 7 hour day. But you are expected to work 9 hour days... Even if you're not being productive, the HOURS are what matter, not the work you are doing. This creates an environment where people are unproductive. No matter how much work you do or don't do you’re still going to have to stay the same amount of time. They are ridiculously strict about impressing it upon new hires that they must meet their hours. Oh, but holidays (i.e. labor day and Christmas etc, and PTO days) only count at 8 hours. This is wildly unfair and makes no sense!! Someone asked why we only book 8 hours for a day of paid time off, and the answer given was "because 8 hours is a standard work day" ... BUT our work day is 9 hours! Also, they tell you the job is 8-5 but that doesn't include lunch, so people often eat at their desks which is so unhealthy. If you take lunch, you have to stay longer to make it up. Also, you have mandatory training days on which you only get to book 8 hours, so you are expected to work extra to make that up. And when you wake up at 4am to get on a 6am flight for a work trip, if you don't land and get to the business office until 9am you can't say you started working until then... so you have to make up those hours too. AKA You are expected to work EXTRA if you spend extra time work getting to and from work / are traveling for work.

3) NOT REWARDING whatsoever - I don't feel rewarded/fulfilled in any way by what I do or really believe that the company is doing something meaningful. They try to spin it that we are helping hospitals, but it becomes obvious very quickly that it's all about the money for Triage. If we find a bulk issue, instead of telling the client about it so they can fix it (like you'd think a consulting company should do), we capitalize on that and find a bunch of money for ourselves from it. The fact is, if we actually had the goal of helping the hospitals we would run ourselves out of a job!

4) Office Politics / Fake Culture - everyone says the culture is what makes Triage great, but I think it is pretty obviously all a facade. The company likes to boast they have a great culture and have "fun" as a core value, but there is a lot of ridiculous petty stuff that happens behind the scenes. If you say or do something out of line, you will hear that it isn't ok through some round about email chain of someone who had to email someone to tell someone to tell you it wasn't ok ETC. Why can't people say something outright??

5) Triage has things called Associate Roundtables and Senior Circles / Town Hall that the company can use to boast that it is open to feedback. However, everyone knows that these forums are exclusively in place so that Triage can say they exist. A Senior Circle is where a bunch of seniors come together and share their grievances about things that need to be changed at Triage (like the unfair hours I mentioned). Then, supposedly they can bring their concerns up with the CEO and he'll address them. However, everyone knows that nothing ever comes of this! No change is made.

6) Pay is not competitive - They haven't adjusted the starting salary significantly in the past decade while cost of living in San Francisco has skyrocketed. It is appalling that Atlanta employees make just 3k per year less than SF employees, which is supposedly "adjusted" for cost of living difference.

7) Very niche skills - the learning curve is steep, but after a certain point I think people who stay are doing themselves a disservice in terms of future career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be transparent during recruiting! Tell people what Triage really is. An 8-5 work day should include a break for lunch ! If employees are expected to work 9 hour days, then PTO and holidays and trainings should also be considered 9 hour days...

"Still Learning, Still Can't Believe My Luck"

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

When going through the recruiting process myself, I was instantly drawn to the bright, well-spoken, motivated and fun young professionals behind the Triage table at the Career Fair who clearly genuinely liked each other and liked the work they were doing. Fortunately, they liked me too.
    A few years later, I continue to be impressed by my teammates, my peers, my mentors (official and unofficial) and leadership, and the new associates walking in the door each summer.
    Triage invests so much every new hire: by providing them with a built-in support network with their start groups, mentors, and teams, assigning an on-the-job trainer to guide them through their first months of a steep learning curve and the achievements and mistakes bound to come from the environment, and offering more than three full weeks worth of full-day trainings throughout the first year to build the foundation for a full and positive career. Associates will walk out of their first year with skills ranging from the technical abilities needed to analyze hospital data and recover large amounts of money for clients to the soft skills like public speaking, leadership and project management to impress high-level hospital clients on a day-to-day basis in the Senior Associate position and beyond.
    Above and beyond Triage's investment in the career development of each consultant, this company wouldn't be the place it is without acknowledging the true emphasis on the company's core values: client service, knowledge, relationship, balance, and fun. The first two are obvious choices in a consultancy, but the latter three make Triage unique. Where else will you see Principals and new Associates compete to the bitter end over a for-pride game of Knockout at our annual Team Building, get your entire team and management's buy-in for a company-sponsored sunset cruise around the Bay for a Team Event after work, and want to spend all four lunches and evenings of a travel week with your 20-something year old coworkers who are just as excited to wait in line for the coolest new restaurant, step totally outside their comfort zone in a new workout class, or tag along with you to that one artist that you've been dying to see live? It's apparent that work/life balance is something taken seriously, whether in your day to day use of your time or in your extended plans for using the generous PTO policy.
    Triage is a place where you can learn and grow personally and professionally, make some of the best friends and mentors of your life, and make a quantifiable monetary and meaningful impact on leading hospitals and the people leading them.
    I continue to learn from Triage and Triagers every day, and I'm not done yet.

Cons

I've seen other reviews that have cons with valid feelings behind them, but that I simply haven't experienced. In particular, two complaints are boredom, and more recently, a claim that we don't consult. I have found that on each project I've worked on, I've been afforded progressively more responsibilities and the ability to prove myself with additional challenges. Part of this is mindset and looking at each claim and issue with the client as a chance to figure out a puzzle and provide meaningful feedback and process improvement internally and externally. It's true that in your first year you may not see much face-to-face external client time, but you're building the skills and analyzing the data to enable Triage to provide well-researched recommendations to our clients, all while learning the ins and outs of the healthcare system so that you can manage a team in under two years and effectively consult in a multi-billion dollar industry throughout your career. While you may be ready to save the world this week, know that a little bit of committed time to learning and career development will set you up well for success and that things just seem to keep getting better!

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to recognize and reward those who work hard and are doing well, even as monetarily Triage maintains an even payment structure by tenure. Keep the accessibility to management, the emphasis on the small-company feel, and the opportunity to specialize available, especially as the company continues to grow.

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Triage is an unbelievable place to launch a career. It's a safe, fun and low stress environment to develop very transfer skills - project management, leadership, technical data analysis, while making life long bonds with co-workers.

Cons

At times when you start the work can be somewhat dry and monotonous, just remember that it is an entry level job and that you are building the skills necessary to move into the project management/team lead. If you're not excited about the opportunity for leadership at 21 months in then this probably isn't the right company for you.

"Associate Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great first job out of college. Hands on training and a lot of support from coworkers. Incredible coworkers. When you clock out, you are done with your work. Fun work events.

Cons

Routine and monotonous over time. Not too many opportunities for creative problem solving. Work can be rather boring, but the people are great.

Advice to Management

Keep on hiring awesome people. Figure out how to keep people engaged at 1 year as it seems to be a trend that this is when a lot of people begin to become complacent and unengaged.

"Good entry-level company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unbeatable work/life balance. Collaborative, vibrant, young office environment. Potential to manage your own team as the main client contact within two years. Low stress, achievable workload as an Associate or Senior.

Cons

Manageable salary, but leaves something to be desired. Foundation-building tasks as an Associate can be a grind. Culture slowly declines as company numbers grow. Any changes to employee benefits, compensation, or even small office perks are conservative.

"Great place to learn how to be a professional!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast-tracked internal promotion
    - Great leadership experience
    - Awesome co-workers and supportive management
    - Making a DIFFERENCE in the healthcare industry

Cons

- With any new job you have to put in time to learnt the basics and build a foundation for knowledge base; this makes the first year or so monotonous BUT you move into leadership positions and more complex responsibilities quickly.

Advice to Management

Try to be more proactive about initiating changes in communication, environment, admin and everyday experience that your entire work force is requesting.

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation time, people are great, mentorship program, work life balance

Cons

Relatively low salary for San Francisco, not really consulting, boring work

Advice to Management

Be open to change

"Frat Disguised as Consulting Firm"

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

-Frat Culture (College never has to end. Ever. Just ask any of the managers and partners)
    -High Attrition (makes you feel better when over 50% of your coworkers are looking for new jobs. You're not a bad person and you're not alone!)
    -Lack of diversity (This works well to maintain the strcutural integrity of the frat governance and continue to recruit for the cookie cutter ideal "Triagers" while keeping minorities from wanting to be a part of this organization. A great strategy by management I must say)
    -People who work here have a great mouthpiece. I mean they did convince you that they're an actual consulting firm and got you to accept the offer
    -Coworkers hook up here all the time (talk about work-life balance!)

Cons

-Frat Culture (One of Us, One of Us, One of Us!)
    -White privilege at full force (#AllLivesMatter)
    -Lack of diversity (Not that cool to work at if you're a minority interested in social equity, social justice, or just being yourself)
    -Micromanagement (The time you spend at the bathrooms are not billable hours, good sir)
    -Monotonous work
    -Most of Partners have worked only this one job out of college (Likes and prefers status quo in company and the rest of the world)
    -Heavy social pressure to conform to culture (drink, drink, drink!)
    -Monday Morning Meetings (everyone goes around the table sharing their weekends. sort of like Show and Tell back in 4th grade, except more superficial and pointless)
    -Quality of project dependent on your relationship with your Senior Associate (Evaluations are biased, subjective, and quite frankly pointless.)
    -Associates expected to not only drink the jungle juice, but to start making it before their 18 months check-in

Advice to Management

Be transparent during recruitment. This isn't a management consulting firm - you are a vendor. Don't pretend to try and address the diversity issue by staffing all the minorities on projects with each other. That's not the point of diversity. Just own up and be what you are: a really, really, white fraternity that acts as a vendor for hospitals. The people you hire here are not stupid and will continue to notice the flaws within the system and speak with their friends and friends of their friends. You can't spin the truth forever with your political correctness.