Tribal Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Tribal Group Reviews

Updated Sep 4, 2019

3.1
Tribal Group CEO Mark Pickett  (no image)
Mark Pickett

"Went Agile, Soul Sucked Out of Company, Long Term Employees Left"

I worked at Tribal Group

Pros

The people that you work with are fun and engaging.

Cons

Every minute is accounted for. The software is bland and your eyes will glaze over within the first hour of sitting in front of it. There is a vast gulf between those who build the software and their users.

Tribal Group2017-03-23

"A business who truly want the best for their employees!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great progression opportunities, flexible working environment, care for employees well-being, training opportunities, good benefits.

Cons

Some salaries are a little lower than they should be, but I am mostly very happy.

Advice to Management

Keep making progress, keep supporting staff, and definitely keep up the great attitude to letting people work in ways best for them!

Tribal Group2019-09-04
  3. "Trying hard with confused outcomes"

Current Employee - Developer in Norwich, England

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance. Low pressure. Some appreciation for people who work largely behind the scenes to keep things in order and make sure we have a professional product... The beginnings of a really, really good product in Tribal Edge that still can't quite make it past the teething stages despite laudible ambitions.

Cons

A lot of arguing over trivialities during pull requests which masks larger issues, can stop them from getting fixed, and often needlessly impedes quality good stories getting to master while other clearly broken ones sail in because they did things "the way we always do it". These broken stories then have to be fixed by other people when the methodologies inevitably cause the problems you anticipated. Some old-guard... personalities dominate way above their skill levels and are allowed to bring the overall quality of the projects down. This often handled later by disabling broken functionality which is sometimes the only available strategy, but it would be better to foster a culture where everybody cares about the products we are making and understands the full meaning of quality. There's no full team review anymore, just adhoc videos, so if you've created something you're really proud of, you have a very limited audience to demonstrate your skills to, at least in the short term.

Advice to Management

Be careful to ensure that promotions are made based on real skill and achievement and that the process for doing so allows developers to demonstrate clearly they are above and beyond and not simply wait in line. Don't be afraid to expect a lot of ambitious members of staff, but expect they will want to be rewarded if they take on more than was anticipated. Don't allow Developers and Senior Developers to block others... from showing their true worth and be on your guard when you see this happening.

Tribal Group2019-08-25

"Struggling to get new product outcomes"

Current Employee - Manager in Geelong

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Very limited overtime.

Cons

Lack of direction from Management. Constant restructures and staff turn over. Struggling with new product communications and delivery.

Tribal Group2019-08-20

"Low Morale"

Former Employee - BSO in Bristol, England

I worked at Tribal Group full-time

Pros

Central office location Good health care scheme

Cons

Low morale, secretive management, slow pace

Tribal Group2019-08-15

"Lacking Direction"

I worked at Tribal Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Offices, great co-workers, convenient location if you live in Geelong but close to the train station if coming from Melbourne

Cons

Lack of leadership and direction

Tribal Group2019-06-18
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Support Consultant in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have really enjoyed my first 3 weeks here at Tribal Sheffield, where I am training as an IT Support Consultant. The team are very friendly and helpful, and always open to giving advice and guidance, even if you have no previous IT background knowledge. The office has a relaxed environment and is in a great central location to the city centre.

Cons

Not currently applicable to myself

Tribal Group2019-05-16

"Good staff, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Geelong

I worked at Tribal Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Modern Office Staff know their roles well and are generally talented Some social activities Pay was on par with industry but only because the company they acquired set that rate for it's staff Volunteer leave

Cons

Company is run from the UK, no local upper management UK management dictates decisions to local middle management, no negotiation. Sales in region have been poor due to small sales team, unliked sales reps and a poor strategy. They have run two of their three Australian acquisitions into the ground, have to wonder how long the remaining group has before they kill that too. Pay rates vary wildly within the... company depending on where and when you started.

Advice to Management

Give autonomy back to local management and stop dictating from afar where no one can possible reach you to ask "why?". There is zero accountability except to shareholders. If you want staff that are invested in your story and your product then you need to make them feel like they are part of the team, not serfs that should be happy to be paid. If your decision adversely affects a team or an individual then you... should be explaining why you made that decision and "because shareholders" is a poor excuse. When you perform redundancies perhaps ask for volunteers or ask team leads to provide their feedback, don't let the accountants dictate who stays and who goes.

Tribal Group2019-05-07
  9. "Constantly restructuring"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at Tribal Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people who are dedicated to what they do and do it well.

Cons

Senior management frequently restructuring the company - at least once a year over the last several years.

Advice to Management

Working with schools takes time to build the relationships and see results. If you keep changing staff and strategy you will never be seen by the sector as a stable and reliable vendor.

Tribal Group2019-04-16
  10. "Great Company Good opportunites"

Former Employee - Graduate Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Tribal Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Tribal Group full-time for 1 yr 6 months. Amazing people to work with. Good work life balance with this company

Cons

I did not find any cons while working with them

Tribal Group2019-03-27