Tribal Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Tribal Group Reviews

Updated September 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working at Tribal gives me the work life balance I require (in 7 reviews)

• Flexible working hours, could work from home regularly if needed (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management better at talking than listening (in 10 reviews)

• Investment in the UK software development teams is lacking, focus is too often on setting up development in other countries, to cut costs (in 6 reviews)

"Slowly Collapsing from Within"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hessle, England (UK)

I worked at Tribal Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home and friendly colleagues within team.

Cons

While I can only speak first hand of the office I worked in, since the bringing in of the new and lamentable CEO Ian Bowles and the first wave of redundancies that were unleashed morale and resources have been in complete free fall. Lack of progression on offer for most staff led to some of the most experienced, knowledgeable and valuable colleagues to leave in droves, to the point where there was one person a week resigning for better opportunities. This in turn left resources stretched impossibly thin to the extent that relatively new staff were the most experienced individuals in long standing complex areas of the software. As far as I have been able to tell this trend has continued after I left with even more long-standing staff members whom I thought would be highly unlikely to leave, resigning. Management appear to have finally cottoned on to this but the posting of obviously fake reviews being left on here by existing staff shows more of a panic than a measured and mature response.

Advice to Management

Start to value the work that the staff do and noty just the bottom line. Make some responsible changes that will have long term success rather than hollowing out a skilled workforce leaving you with oppotunities to create success from.

"Through gritted teeth, I ride the storm"

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time

Pros

I like the new office. The people in and around my area of the office are great.

Cons

There has been a lot of change recently. While I think some of the changes made are for the better, it seems as though we are still going in the same direction in terms of the approach made by management and other senior personnel that are still here.

This is the perfect opportunity for them to fix the issues of the past and move forward, but at the moment I would have to say that there are no indications of this happening and to be honest, if it weren't for being local and my aversion to commuting, I would be following those who have left out the door. But for now, I will ride the storm and see where it takes me. Hopefully that will be to a better place once everything settles.

Reading some of the other negative reviews on this website suggests that my concerns are not unusual in this environment and despite some of the other reviews suggesting that things are now for the better, let me assure you that while the removal of some of the toxic people has been refreshing, the underlying nature of the beast is still present.

Advice to Management

I would strongly suggest you perform a temperature check to get an understanding as to the mental health and wellbeing of your teams in all offices and be proactive in changing environment so that we can all make Tribal great again like it was when I first joined!

"Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A strong business with a great customer base, an excellent product strategy and clear market focus.
    Tribal has a great heritage but lost it's way in recent years. The new management has a clear direction and seem to be delivering with some innovative acquisitions and developments.

Cons

Driving change isn't easy and there are pockets of discontent still around the organisation. Leadership needs to ripple down the organisation to help everybody feels engaged.

Advice to Management

Keep focused, execute on the strategy and develop leadership through the business

"Enjoying Tribal life"

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and market leading products.
    Ability to make a difference.
    Empowering- if you have a good idea, it can become reality really quickly.
    Management team are really approachable and listen to your ideas.
    Great team culture.

Cons

It's hard work, in a busy environment so sometimes difficult to prioritise.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting us to help grow the business

"I hope my old team are doing better."

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Geelong (Australia)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Geelong (Australia)

I worked at Tribal Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great to work with, plenty of office space and flexible hours if needed.

Cons

Working on the help desk, I found it quite disheartening to go to work each day.

Our manager at the time would take their daily pressures and pass them down to us, even if they were quite unrealistic.

When we could not produce the expected result due to other business units being unable to produce results, based on poor decisions by those at the top, we were dragged into constant meetings and told that we needed to improve.

After doing this for some time, I decided to take my chances with unemployment.

There is a bullying culture present in this company that is hard to shake once you are intertwined with it. This is shown by the steady decline in numbers when and since I have left. Those that do the bullying cannot see this as it does not effect them, so nothing changes.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of how your decisions effect other people throughout the company, especially those in your direct team that reports to you. Listen to feedback, and try and get back to basics. A fresh approach is needed.

"Good company but not sure I'd recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hessle, England (UK)

I worked at Tribal Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Office is great - great location, great people, great software
    The benefits package is pretty good overall

Cons

Pay has stagnated for far too long - below market value
    Progression for most roles is unclear at best
    Lots of people have been leaving recently, increasing the pressure on those who have remained
    Management are on a big "cost conscious" drive to cut costs - very short-term measures being implemented which will have long-term consequences

Advice to Management

Improve pay for loyal staff
    Improve retention by valuing staff
    Stop focusing on short term measures to cut costs

"Concern about the long-term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are great, but senior management and the decisions they make are a real concern.

Cons

A lot of people are moving on, along with 3 restructures in 3 years. To say stability is here would be a lie. I am very concerned that in a years' time I will no longer be employed.

The work environment has become toxic due to so many changes and people are leaving because of it. It's hard to just concentrate on your work, without the thought of another restructure email or the announcement that another one of your colleagues is leaving.

Advice to Management

Work out where you are taking the company. Assure your employees that we still have a future. Show us some incentives to prove to us that this is a place where we want to stay, rather than leave.

"Modern Day Sweat Shop"

I worked at Tribal Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generally Nice People (excluding some management) if you get the right manager you get flexible working.

Cons

Management don't care about the company or people they just want to make as much money in their pocket as possible ignoring the Customer and Staff. They are outsourcing in the hope to save money but did not learn from their mistakes of doing it before when it did not work. Because of this customers are suffering and thus Tribal is suffering as customers leave left right and centre. You are expected to always go above and beyond with no thanks and by that I mean you don't even get a thank you from management let alone any other incentive. With the recent round of further redundancies they did not even handle that very well and then wondered why staff moral was worse then it should have been.

Advice to Management

Stop constantly looking at how you can make a flow chart look better. Stop constantly having meetings that go no where and concentrate on the customer, workers and product.

"Circling the Drain"

I worked at Tribal Group full-time

Pros

The staff down at the coal face are excellent, trying their best under difficult conditions while senior management undo the countless years of hard work put in
    Flexible working hours, could work from home regularly if needed

Cons

Cost cutting is brutal at the moment - 300 staff culled in 2016 plus another 100 recently. The company seems to have no real long term plan, the atmosphere in the office is turgid and those that aren't being made redundant are leaving in their droves.

There also seems to be a large amount of nepotism going on - a senior member of staff's wife got a role with no apparent interview process, for example. There were countless examples of people being overlooked for promotion for people who's face "fit" better.

Advice to Management

Invest in the business and the staff that got the company to where it was in the first place. Invest in the UK market before you lose it altogether and offer some incentives for those who have been loyal to stay.

"Always Making Promises"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Geelong (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Geelong (Australia)

I have been working at Tribal Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location WAS great. Fairly relaxed dress code. Flexible hours for some. Coffee machine is free. Free fruit on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Cons

Campus has a bullying culture from the Senior Management downward. Salaries are not equal between the divisions of the company in Australia. Have been promised an equalization for 8 months. It is said that free coffee will be charged in the future. Free fruit will disappear. Company car to be axed so employee must use personal car for trips to client sites. No more training budget. No pay rises in the near future. New location in North Geelong is void of any services such as banks, postal, choice of lunch venues. Industrial site leaves noise bleeding over from another business to our section of the building due to no wall from floor to ceiling. Middle Management moved to another position in the company with no experience for that position and still being paid a higher salary than most.

Advice to Management

Equalize the pay within the same company. Leave the employee amenities alone. A little bit of comfort goes a long way.

Tribal Group Response

May 15, 2017 – Talent Partner

We are disappointed to learn that your experience at Tribal has not always been positive but we are pleased you have remained with us through this transition phase as we bring four legacy businesses... More