Tribune Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 25, 2017

1.0
Peter Liguori

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Coworkers are overall great people, particularly in the newsroom (in 17 reviews)

• Great Work - Life Balance for carerre (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Reputation for not being able to keep their employees: low pay, little room for growth, unprofessional and ineffective management (in 12 reviews)

• No clear vision from upper management and company is for sale (in 12 reviews)

1. "Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tribune Media full-time

Pros

Some good people are willing to help you out.

Cons

Low pay. Zero recognition. Stacked rating system is faulty and all the good people are forced to leave.

Advice to Management

Tribune was a well-known name with an impeccable reputation for quality and professionalism. This no longer exists especially now with an acquisition on the horizon. It was extremely depressing to see the gradual demise of this once amazing powerhouse. Management: LISTEN to your teams and dump the egos.

2. "Not recommendable"

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time

Pros

There are no pros working for this team

Cons

Management is hypocritical and unfair. There is no opportunity.

Advice to Management

Step down.

"Trial By Fire (and Managers Aren't Willing to Put It Out!)"

Former Employee - Multi-media Journalist/Preditor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Multi-media Journalist/Preditor in Houston, TX

I worked at Tribune Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Because there is a very small staff, you get to wear a lot of hats. (Read as: you have to do everything yourself). It can be very challenging and a lot of fun.

Cons

The news managers are just terrible. Many have never done what they ask reporters to do, so they don't realize how it really works. For example, an angle on a story would be approved by one manager at 8am and when it was about to air at 5pm, another manager would ask for a completely different angle (after the story had been shot, written and fully edited). The bosses regularly close their doors and have screaming matches with employees, so loud that everyone can hear. And employees are often suspended without pay (at least three times last year!) with very little provocation (raising your voice, disagreeing over news judgment issues, taking approved vacation). It's a nightmare!

Advice to Management

Step aside and allow real news folks to come in and focus the department. If not, appreciate that you are paying your employees less than any other station in town, so try and treat them well to make up for it. There is so much potential at this station, but the management has no idea how to grow the employees they have. The knowledge you have coming into this station is all you will leave with (unless you make an effort to teach yourself new skills).

"Nightmare Company"

Former Employee - Producer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Producer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Tribune Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'll let you know when I think of something positive to say.

Cons

I have never NEVER worked for a news station that flat out lived to make people's lives miserable. The news director singles people out that speak up. Human resources is a joke. H.R. has no clue what is going on in the station and immediately goes with the news director without seriously investigating. She also is rarely ever in the building, because the station doesn't have an H.R. person in the building. I don't know where they put the H.R. people, but it isn't in the same state as the news station I worked. When I was at the station a number of employees couldn't even tell you the H.R. person's name. Employees actually have a running jokes about H.R.

Stay away if you can! STAY AWAY! I'd go to McDonald's to work, before I'd go back to Tribune Media. This from someone who has bachelors degree!

Multiple people left the station in a short period of time while I was there. It isn't uncommon for people not to spend more than a year or two at a station, but some weren't even at the station a full year and they were begging to get out.

I suggest that young people starting out avoid Tribune Media. You want to go to a station where you feel management is on your team and will help you succeed.

I want to know how this company can continue to get away with treating people like this.

Advice to Management

Discrimination is never okay. Talking to people like they are dogs is unacceptable. I can assure you no one wants to work at a station where they are constantly belittled and talked down to. Your "leadership perspective" to call people out of their mistakes in front of everyone is nothing more then a way to make people feel little. Playing favorites is what high school cheerleaders do- management should know better!

5. "dinosaur age"

I worked at Tribune Media full-time

Pros

the tower is really pretty

Cons

you have to do expenses for vp's - it's like 1980 there

"Steer Clear of this sinking ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard-working, personable worker bees willing to show you the ropes. Some people with heart and great ideas willing to make things work despite challenges.

Cons

Green upper management that says one thing and does another. It's often run like a high school student council.
    Direction, when given, is ambiguous at best. Often left to figure things out and then berated when it is not perfect.
    Communication is unclear or poor and you're often left in the hurry up and wait scenario. Approval processes are inefficient and in need of a major change.
    This place has a way of taking passionate people and breaking them down.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and reality check yourself in the process. Stop playing the blame game and get back to innovation.

"Journalist"

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Little oversight, not as much micro-managing and a good stepping stone for younger talent

Cons

Lack of communication at the Indianapolis location. Current management leaves you in the dark, and loves to play office politics. Right now they hire young and inexperienced, but don't give much critique for improvement

Advice to Management

Talk with employees and be honest about where things stand

"Poor management skills"

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never have to work evenings or weekends

Cons

bad work environment, toxic culture manifested by upper management

"CHRO is Awful!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belle Harbor, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belle Harbor, NY

I have been working at Tribune Media (Less than a year)

Pros

There are none about this HR leader!!!

Cons

She is imbalance, unfair, inconsistent on how she treats her staff. There have been 7 - 8 terminations in her organization and its mostly due to her lack of leadership, guidance and consistency. Someone should look into her practices but she is getting away with murder.

Advice to Management

Investigate her. Talk to all in her organization not just her corporate subordinates. Complaints have been made against her and nothing has changed. Terminate her.

Tribune Media Response

May 21, 2016 – EVP Human Resources

We would like to correct a misstatement in this review. There has only been one person terminated in this organization and we know from the location of the reviewer, that she has a very strong... More

"This company is in a downward spiral"

I worked at Tribune Media full-time

Pros

The pay I feel is right there with what the market is offering for my position.

Cons

I think the company culture is terrible. Everyone looks so miserable. Maybe its because senior management could careless about the employees and all they care about is fattening their wallets. When you heard people talk around the office no one has a positive outlook on where the company is headed. There is no motivation to be a great employee. This is far and away the WORST company I have ever been apart of.