Tribune Media Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Media Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tribune Media Services treats it's employees well & the workplace is friendly. I was part of a business that was purchased by Tribune Media Services several years ago. The management integrated our business, centralizing much of the support functions (HR, Accounting & Finance), however kept the sales and operations management in place along with most all of the staff. Management was communicative and stable despite the amount of turmoil at the parent company (Tribune Company) and the media business in general.

Cons

Pay raises are small - so negotiate the salary you want from the start of your employment there.

Advice to Management

The management team is friendly, communicative and stable about it's direction. My one critique is that while there is a lot of analysis on opportunities, taking more risks would be an area to improve upon.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer Intern in Queensbury, NY
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer Intern in Queensbury, NY

I worked at Tribune Media Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, growth potential, great work environment

Cons

Could implement more routine trainings

3. "News Writer"

Pros

It's an established company in a major market

Cons

There is no chance of promotion from within. Great talent walks because there are no promotions or raises. Management offers no feedback on your performance. The CEO is trying different ways to survive in this changing media industry but it appears his ideas aren't working too well. Health benefits are very expensive

4. "Traffic Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Tribune Media Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

If anyone wants to learn more about the tv industry CBS is the best network to be associated with.

Cons

Working in the broadcast industry requires lots of OT with matching deadlines. High stress. Low pay especially for women.
    Not a good company if a young family, for men/women.

Advice to Management

Mangers need to read the handbook again. They do not want to deal with employees with family problems. Communication between departments is lacking.

5. "Best Job Ever.."

Pros

This was in the Glendale, WI office—Now NTVB Media. Great corporate culture.
    Great Compensation and Benefits.

Cons

Keeping a sinking ship afloat. Subscriptions were approx -17% annually.

Advice to Management

None

6. "Best days behind it or start of a new era?"

Pros

Family atmosphere; good starting salary; flexible managers possible but not guaranteed; creative staff that works well together when necessary; very good benefits

Cons

Salaries get stuck - pay-freeze nightmare; potential for bad, rigid manager; chosen-one mentality where one employee gets work, credit, than more work and more credit.

Advice to Management

Reward people who have stuck with company through lean times. Stop making it seem like company is always potentially for sale.

"Good benefits, but now a chaos"

Pros

Good benefits, decent (if not great) pay

Cons

After merger with Gracenote, complete upheaval and layoffs

Advice to Management

Too late. You sold your soul to Gracenote.

"Depending on your department, it can be an OK place to work"

Current Employee - Network Operations Analyst in Queensbury, NY
    Current Employee - Network Operations Analyst in Queensbury, NY

I have been working at Tribune Media Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As of this review, it's an international company providing entertainment metadata to big name clients all over the world... and it appears to be profitable. With most positions Full time with 40 hours + overtime... or salary depending on position, it's nice they're not trying to cut costs by having multiple teams of low paid part timers. it's usually an appropriate balance of "stress vs pay-grade" i think when factoring in the generally low cost of living in the area. I am compensated if i work overtime, and it's rare that i have to sacrifice my personal life for work, except in an emergency. Work schedules are very stable here and unlike jobs in the past, i can plan my life weeks and months in advance and not worry about work issues messing up my plans at the last minute.

Cons

Many positions were recently cut from the company when we merged with Gracenote, and morale was hurt pretty bad when friends and co workers of 20+ years were let go without much reason or warning. It's unclear what budgets are for certain things... and it seems like there is a disconnect between the people who know the budgets and the people who need the money for equipment upgrades or new positions to be created and filled. Some departments are short staffed while others seem overstaffed. I get the feeling there are "too many cooks in the kitchen" with some project management... but even still progress is slow slow slow in changing how things work. After 4 years of being there some issues still remain which should have been fixed a long time ago.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to give us more resources and money to complete the tasks we're expected to do, and middle management needs to get together and work across all departments to make it happen...

9. "Friendly yet professional atmosphere, exciting and innovative work"

Former Employee - Enhanced Content Editor
    Former Employee - Enhanced Content Editor

I worked at Tribune Media Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family friendly, fun and exciting work, great benefits, great corporate culture, opportunities for growth.

Cons

Pay is on the low end for the work performed, parent company seems unstable since bankruptcy.

Advice to Management

More comprehensive feedback on employee performance. I always strove to provide the best product of the highest quality in as efficient manner as possible and appreciated the compliments from management. However I was often left feeling unsatisfied when asking what I could do to improve.

10. "Good old company in new start up mode."

I worked at Tribune Media Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots that they want to do.

Cons

Lots that they have to do.

Advice to Management

People are truly your greatest asset.