Trigger Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Jason Yim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great work environment"

I worked at Trigger Global full-time

Pros

- This is a no drama agency, where there is little to none politics and management is always looking to improve and know what the employees think.
    - Well established processes that help project managers do their job properly.
    - You get to work in really innovative projects that include AR and VR, as well as entertainment client like Sony Pictures and Lionsgate.
    - The team is talented and the coworkers are fun and geeky people with whom you'd want to go out any Friday.

Cons

- As in any other advertising agency the hours can get long sometimes, especially close to launches.
    - Compensation could be higher for Project Managers.

Jun 7, 2017 – VP Production

We appreciate the feedback! In the last several months we have been evaluating our compensation structure for PMs and have been making changes.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Trigger Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast-paced, projects rarely go for longer than a month or two - no time to get bored.
    - You get to work with hot new tech on projects for big brand names every day which sometimes involve movie screening, script reads and premieres / after parties.
    - Very friendly environment if you choose to be a part of it (game nights, lunches...)
    - Small, young and talented team.

Cons

- Long hours which feel expected, garner little recognition and can come up without notice.

3. "Dynamic Projects, hard work, talented people."

Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Trigger Global (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to be working on innovative digital projects, especially if you are interested in emerging technologies (mixed reality is their specialty)

Cons

Work hours can be long.

Advice to Management

Keep up team morale, you have an awesome staff.

Jun 7, 2017 – VP Production

Very cool feedback, thank you! Totally agreed the work hours can get long. While we chalk that up to being at the fast-paced intersection of tech+creative+agency, we are always striving to keep work... More

"Great Projects, Great People and Hard Work"

I worked at Trigger Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You get the chance to work on some really amazing projects and brands. Various Hollywood studios, and big name companies come to them for Websites, AR/VR Apps and innovative marketing. Name dropping includes; LEGO, Star Wars, The Hunger Games, etc...
    - It's a small team of very talented, passionate and innovative staff. If you get hired, you can feel good about yourself. Because they really only hire very awesome people.
    - Everyone contributes. The company is open to ideas and encourages brainstorms with everyone to keep innovation in projects.
    - No BS Politics. This is only company I've been in where there is not some crazy ego wars going one between departments. When arguments happen, they're logical and constructive. The department heads are all very cooperative with each other and understand that we all have to work together towards common goals.
    - Constructive Criticism is openly and readily given. Everyone is expected to pull their weight and constantly learn and improve.

Cons

- Timelines and budgets are often aggressive for scope. This seems to be endemic for every agency I've worked for. Par for the course when bidding for work.
    - Long hours and crunch times happen a lot. They do try to balance the work and keep people to a 40 hour work week as much as possible. But it's the nature of the business and crunch times happen. And when there's a lot of work to be done, everyone is expected to step up.
    - Could use a bit more positive reinforcement and validation. If you’re the type of person who is hard on themselves and needs validation to know when you're on the right track...you’re probably not going to get it much here. It’s not that people don’t appreciate your efforts, it’s just that everyone works hard and there is always room for improvement.

Jun 7, 2017 – VP Production

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed feedback. We really appreciate it. We take the feedback seriously and are continuing to move the needle on project parameter accuracy, work hours balance and... More

"Great company to work with on mobile games and apps."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Trigger Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Insurance benefits were great
    - The people and culture were nice and friendly
    - The projects and clients that they worked on/with were amazing
    - Creative team was pushing for the best and innovation

Cons

- Work hours can get long
    - Not enough resources for certain departments
    - Compensation and benefits

"Great company to work on innovative projects."

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trigger Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The company works with well known clients which makes it a privilege to work there.
    - The work environment is great. To me that comes as a priority in a company and I am truly glad that I had a chance to work with a very professional team.
    - Trigger values their employees and the interaction between team members was one of the best that I have encountered.
    - As a designer it was a great experience to work with the creative team. Working with a very talented creative team encourages you to explore and use your creative potential.
    - Designers also get a chance to work on innovative projects therefore they get to learn new creative approaches.
    - Finally, tons of variety on the free snacks, which is always a pro!

Cons

Sometimes the work hours get quite long but that happens almost in every other design or game company.

"A talented and creative team with a passion for great design"

Former Employee - Art Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trigger Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trigger is a tight-knit crew of talented designers, developers, and producers. They work with both entertainment clients and brands so the projects are fun, diverse and challenging. The founders of the company are dedicated to doing great work and pursuing opportunities that provide the greatest potential to evolve in the ever-changing digital landscape.

Recently, Trigger has acquired a handful of really forward-thinking clients that are focused on leveraging new technology on mobile devices to engage their customers. This is an amazing opportunity for the company to grow and expand their capabilities.

As a member of the creative team, I had the pleasure of collaborating with the CEO and Creative Director on numerous digital products. This unique opportunity enabled me be involved in the early stages of design, where concepting and prototyping would help identify which ideas were the most marketable. This direct access to management also providing insight into the business side of running a company which I found to be extremely valuable.

Cons

Trigger tends to run a little lean on resources and timelines therefore there isn’t as much opportunity to learn techniques and tools from your peers and colleagues. On the flip side, it forces you to take initiative and make decisions on your own. If you’re planning on freelancing someday this is a good way to become self sufficient.

Advice to Management

In order for Trigger to progress as a pioneer in the industry, I think they should continue to target opportunities outside of their sweet spot. By engaging new clients and new technology Trigger will excel in this evolving industry.

As part of an agile workflow, Trigger should continue to utilize multidisciplinary project teams where designers, developers, and producers are engaged in all phases of a project. By optimizing planning, all team members would therefore influence and elevate the end product.

"A Rewarding Experience"

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trigger Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first started as an Associate Producer at Tigger I didn't really know what to expect. They told me that it would be a lot of hours and late nights at times, which I expected because I had worked as a Project Manager at another organization previously. What I didn't consider was the fact that they had an office in China so late night were more the typical than a sometimes situation. I was able to adjust to this because of the rewarding experience.

I had the opportunity to do a lot of cool things while I worked at Trigger. I found myself working on large projects for even larger movie studios. I got to take meetings on the lot, attend movie screenings, and even a movie red carpet premiere. It was an amazing experience.

Not only did I get to do all of the cool items above I learned so much. Not only from my experiences, but from the team at Trigger on how to deal with larger Enterprise clients.

It was a great experience.

Another pro was the getting the opportunity to worked with seasoned knowledgeable individuals not only in the Production Department, but in Tech and Creative as well.

Cons

Of course the hours were a con, but if you are serious about your improving and learning more about your discipline then this company is a great opportunity.

Also when working with seasoned individuals sometimes they can come off as intimidating. The trick for me there was to push through that by continuing to ask questions. Eventually they wil understand that you care about the projects, and want to learn.

Advice to Management

My advice for management, which I shared with them was to focus on the learning opportunities at the organization and to look for employees that were serious about working in the entertainment industry.

"Inspiring colleagues"

Former Employee - Web Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Web Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trigger Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some of the most competent co-workers i've ever worked with here. Everyone was very professional, respected each other, and got the job done extremely well, which meant every project was one to be proud of.

Founders have been in the company for years - it was a very stable and down to earth kind of environment to work in.

Built an amazing portfolio working here, when i moved home, i didn't even need to look for a new job - the job found me.

Sometimes when i am stuck in a sticky situation at my new job, i would think of how my ex-co-workers will react when they are in the situation and try to approach it the same way.

Would i go back to work if the opportunity arise in the future? Definitely.

Cons

Communication is sometimes a issue sometimes because of the Shanghai team's mother tongue is Chinese, but luckily i spoke both languages.

The longer working hours is true; but this is the nature of the industry. It is the same for every agency i've worked in. It also really boils down to the fact that everyone is really commited to what they're doing. Because there are 2 offices in different time zones with different holidays, you can either drop your briefs in an email and then go home, or stay a bit longer to make sure that the brief is in right, check in on the team to make sure things keep moving.

Capable people only - low tolerance for non-performers. You need to be very good at what you do to earn a place here. Usually within a month, you will either have proven yourself, or plan to leave already.

Advice to Management

More vacation days to make up for the longer hours.

"Great coworkers in a challenging field"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trigger Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place is filled with really creative and smart people, especially management. In an incredibly challenging field of constantly changing technology, the core group here has been working together for over a decade and grown their business when others were shuttering their doors.

Cons

Long hours, some communication issues can arise from working with overseas development teams.

Advice to Management

Get more agressive in helping newer/greener staff maintain a sustainable work/life balance. This is an industry that attracts workaholics that will eventually burn themselves out or get wandering eyes for greater pay if they're going to give up a majority of their waking hours.