Trillium Family Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 8, 2019

Found 48 reviews

2.9
Kim Scott
  1. "Incredible people, mediocre pay"

Former Employee - Skills Trainer

I worked at Trillium Family Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are what make working at Trillium so incredible. The staff, therapists, managers, everyone is so kind and open to helping you adjust to the new workplace.

Cons

Staff are definitely underpaid, but I suppose you can't wish for much given the nature of the work.

Trillium Family Services2019-03-11
  2. "Trainer"

Former Employee - Trainer

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours are really nice.

Cons

Pay is pretty darn low.

Advice to Management

NA

Trillium Family Services2019-07-08
    • "This place does much more harm than good."

Current Employee - Skills Trainer in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I will remain friends with my co-workers even after I quit soon since we are all "trauma-bonded" by the things we have had to see and deal with.

Cons

Very unsafe working conditions. There are some VERY violent children who have expressed for years that they do not want help and they are kept locked up in the SAIP units no matter how many staff and peers they hurt. The kids that actually want to get help and get better are pushed to the side and are more traumatized by the violence they have to witness daily in the SAIP units. You will be kicked, bitten, spit on, and...

Trillium Family Services2019-06-22
    • "Great on Paper, lacking in execution"

I have been working at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dedicated, hard working direct care staff

Cons

indirect staff incredibly out of touch with the rest of the workplace

Advice to Management

Raise pay.

Trillium Family Services2019-05-14
    • "High turnover, low pay"

I worked at Trillium Family Services

Pros

Co workers, the kids, a place to build skills.

Cons

Management was awful. Highly behaviorally complex children with no real training on how to mitigate frequent violence.

Advice to Management

You should offer clinical supervision.

Trillium Family Services2019-05-20
      • "Toxic Upper Management Culture"

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The kids who deserve more trauma informed care. Powerful work can be done, but if you are too humanistic you'll get talked to by management.

Cons

-It seems they care more about the treatment modality than the kids themselves. -Upper management talks really disrespectfully about kids and their families in their clinical supervision meetings (its very unprofessional) - Employees Not adequately trained -not trauma informed -Hard to advocate for yourself -unfair pay -Ignore and emotionally neglect kids who are struggling as a therapeutic tactic, then if you...

Advice to Management

-Become more trauma informed -Practice principles of social justice and social equity -Become aware of re enacting oppression for marginalized clients, or heavily traumatized clients in the name of "therapeutic treatment"

Trillium Family Services2019-05-24

"They're barely surviving"

I have been working at Trillium Family Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Team based environment -Empathetic co-workers and management -Lots of opportunity for overtime

Cons

-They are unorganized -Can be dangerous -Being texted multiple times a day being asked to work an extra shift -High turn over rate

Advice to Management

Re-structure your trainings, so that Skills Trainer are better equipped to actually teach dialectic and cognitive behavioral therapy skills. The kids always thought they were at day-camp, not a treatment facility.

Trillium Family Services2019-03-05
      • "Wrong billing system"

Current Employee - Child and Family Therapist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trillium Family Services full-time

Pros

Staff really care about the clients, at least on my team. Lots of flexibility as to what works for clients within the therapeutic context. Non-rigid in therapeutic approach.

Cons

Billing system is productivity fee for service based. Trillium foots the bill when productivity is not met (rather than the schools we work in). This instills pressure from the top down, which results in the therapists feeling the heat of needing to raise productivity and generate income for the agency. It feels pretty bad. As a result, turnover on my team is very high; it seems people are leaving every month.

Advice to Management

Gotta change the approach to the billing system for working in the schools. Turnover will continue to be a problem until there are changes. There's already a ton of pressure on us to do a good job providing therapy with very difficult situations on a constant basis. Adding pressures to 'bill more' to keep the agency running is a leading factor in employees quitting. Put less emphasis on branding (e.g. "Keep Oregon...

Trillium Family Services2019-03-21
      • "Challenging work environment"

Former Employee - Skills Trainer

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredible mission Great co-workers Great benefits Opportunities for growth Decent pay for the field Resources provided for employees' stress and mental health

Cons

Can be a dangerous work environment Acutely stressful environment that often felt more like crisis management than skills training Placed in one of the most challenging units without any prior experience

Advice to Management

Make the job description more accurate and give people a better sense of what they're signing up for. More training and more shadowing! A mentorship program for staff and more collaboration with the clinical team would be very helpful-- I often felt unheard/unsupported and I know many of my coworkers felt the same way.

Trillium Family Services2019-02-08

"Staff deserve better"

Former Employee - Skills Trainer II in Corvallis, OR

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free meal. Decent pay, endless overtime opportunities. Fully paid benefits package. Field exposure. Co-workers.

Cons

No guaranteed breaks. High stress environment with little support for direct care staff, including supervisors. Burnout and residual trauma. High staff turnover, meaning you are considered "experienced" after 3 months. Inequalities in pay; when challenged, HR will refer to a pay chart they claim to adhere to. Risk of injury. Upper management out of reach.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your direct care staff, and not just financially. Most staff, in my experience, genuinely cared for the kids (and each other) and worked tirelessly until their own wells were dry. Your staff are your greatest asset, and until you truly hear and act on their concerns, you will continue to lose compassionate, hard-working people to burnout or injury.

Trillium Family Services2019-02-02