Trillium Family Services "mental health" Reviews | Glassdoor

Trillium Family Services Employee Reviews about "mental health"

Updated Feb 8, 2019

3.1
Trillium Family Services President and CEO Kim Scott (no image)
Kim Scott
Pros
  • "The company works hard to do the best it can do for children and families who are experiencing significant mental health issues(in 4 reviews)

• "Nice place, they work at the whole "trauma informed care" thing at a managerial level(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management talks really disrespectfully about kids and their families in their clinical supervision meetings (its very unprofessional)(in 4 reviews)

• "Very low pay for the emotional toll the job can take(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "mental health"

Return to all Reviews

"Integrity, supportive, inclusive work environment"

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trillium Family Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers and management are great. My immediate supervisors have been supportive, knowledgeable, and advocate for a healthy work/life balance. Upper management seems to follow through on improvements needed and noted by staff. The company works hard to do the best it can do for children and families who are experiencing significant mental health issues.

Cons

The Electronic Health Records software has been problematic for a long time (clunky interface, inefficient layout, lock-ups/crashes often) but it sounds like vendor will be brought in within a year to get a new EHR system up and running. I have experienced several instances where I feel like I received poor training especially from supervisors or from staff whose sole job is to train staff. Not sure where the... breakdown occurs, but this has been a rather problem. The pay rate is not great and raises appear hard to come by. The company has a low amount of full time non-residential non-administrative non-management jobs. It's the nature of what the company does (primarily residential programs).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what is working in terms of being inclusive, transparent, and hiring (and maintaining) supportive quality supervisors. Tune in to issues with poor training. Poor training amounts to poor efficiency (aka higher costs due to staff taking longer to do a better job) and poor morale (staff not feeling as capable, effective, and up to the task as they otherwise could feel).

Trillium Family Services2014-03-06
  2. "Challenging work environment"

Former Employee - Skills Trainer

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredible mission Great co-workers Great benefits Opportunities for growth Decent pay for the field Resources provided for employees' stress and mental health

Cons

Can be a dangerous work environment Acutely stressful environment that often felt more like crisis management than skills training Placed in one of the most challenging units without any prior experience

Advice to Management

Make the job description more accurate and give people a better sense of what they're signing up for. More training and more shadowing! A mentorship program for staff and more collaboration with the clinical team would be very helpful-- I often felt unheard/unsupported and I know many of my coworkers felt the same way.

Trillium Family Services2019-02-08

"Awake Overnight Skills Trainer"

Former Employee - Awake Overnight Skills Trainer

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overnight team is a family. You’ll find team member that you’ll become life-long friends with. Having the experience of working with children this traumatized can be very eye-opening and insightful experience that’ll help give you a proper perspective on mental health.

Cons

I don’t think people realize the stress that they’re in for once they become part of the team. Even training itself seems fairly relaxed prior to entering into the Trillium work force. It’s honestly traumatic and people need to be prepared for that.

Advice to Management

Listen to the overnight staff and work with them. They’re dealing with a lot more than most people understand. The “waiting anxiety” alone will kill you.

Trillium Family Services2018-12-05

"Working in mental health can be detrimental to your mental health at TFS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a wonderful boss/ manager - she was very empathetic, open-minded, professional and friendly, rocked at her job, and then she was laid off. Her position was vital to new hires yet she was let go due to cutbacks (non-profit issues). She should have been retained and people who didn't do their jobs should have been laid off instead.

Cons

- Too many people were "fake" - nice to your face, but talked behind other people's backs - The mental health of employees was not treated as a top priority - Upper management was shady - "too many chiefs, not enough Indians" - Higher ups were not always held accountable - lack of prioritization in training -experienced employees getting fired after being injured on the job - safety issues not addressed in a... timely manner

Advice to Management

Upper management needs a complete overhaul. Some of the VP's should have been laid off months ago. Human Resources needs an overhaul - too much animosity between the campuses; training department needs to be revamped and run by people who actually have time instead of working around things out of convenience.

Trillium Family Services2018-01-17

"With Great Freedom Comes Great Responsibility"

Former Employee - Prevention Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved the freedom to create the Prevention Program the way I wanted to. It was a wonderful way to try out new curriculum, develop therapeutic groups to meet current client needs, etc. Working in schools was great and there was a nice partnership between the agency and the school.

Cons

I did not feel supported as an employee. Clinical supervision was lacking and due to the nature of the position I was the only mental health professional in the school regularly. The caseloads were high and very intensive in needs. Lots of crisis intervention work, which was good practice but bad for burnout.

Advice to Management

Please support your staff better in maintaining a managable workload and by backing up clinical decisions with the partnering agencies.

Trillium Family Services2015-02-05

"Poor nursing management"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Corvallis, OR

I worked at Trillium Family Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work with adolescents with mental health issues was very satisfying. There is great opportunity to learn more about the ever-changing field of mental health. The teams on the floor tend to work very closely together and seem to work in the facility for the right reasons, to help the kids.

Cons

The nursing management is poor. They are not part of a union and choose to promote based on reasons other than seniority and experience.

Trillium Family Services2014-09-27