Trillium Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Barry Schwarz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I was unable to consistently make money, and was eventually let go (in 10 reviews)

• The internship is great in terms of the work/life balance and the type of work that you are doing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Definitely not a sure shot success and there is a learning curve to overcome (in 8 reviews)

• With that being said there is still room to make money but by the time you get your % after taxes you'll know what I'm talking about (in 5 reviews)

1. "Equity Trader"

Former Employee - Equity Trader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Trader in New York, NY

I worked at Trillium Trading full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you have a passion for the markets and want to become a successful proprietary equity trader than Trillium Trading is the right firm for you. As a trader, you have the opportunity to build a long and very profitable career here with hard work and a steadfast drive. If you are unwilling to put in hard work and don't have the ability to learn from others and your own mistakes then this gig isn't for you. There is a steep learning curve and it is different for everyone. It's very challenging but also highly rewarding. You must be coachable - if you think you don't need guidance and believe you know everything there is to trading then you will fail. If you are considering other prop firms and have done your research, it's easy to see why Trillium is far superior.

Trillium invests in the traders and all the infrastructure to support them. The back office tech team is constantly making improvements to the trading platform and is overwhelming accommodating to traders' needs.

The environment and culture at Trillium is the best I have ever been apart of.

Cons

Not everyone has the right personality and skill-set to be a trader.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the traders' needs first.

Bagel Tuesdays are nice. Pizza Fridays would be great.

2. "Trader"

I worked at Trillium Trading full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, relaxed environment

Cons

Little to no significant research tools

3. "Best Short Term Equity Trading Firm - I love my job!"

Current Employee - Equity Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Trillium Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Come to this trading firm if you truly want to have a successful trading career. Not for everyone. Learning curve is hard - successful people will do very well. Excuse makers need not come. Software and management support are as good as can be. If you are career minded, this place is great. If you are short sighted, don't be a trader - you will fail. You will take time and hard work to become good but once you do it will be liberating and rewarding for as long as you work to maintain what you have built with your hard work and the great resources you can tap into at Trillium. My advice if you are looking to work here is tap into 3 year plus traders to hear their success stories and what they have witnessed from those who failed. Avoid excuse makers and seek out successful traders not just for advice when looking into Trillium but when trading here to win great guidance on the path to success.

Cons

Markets can be slow sometimes. Income from winning trades does add up but not always as consistent as you may desire. Traders need to see past this and keep their eyes on the ball. Those that don't can burn their careers. Those that do can probably succeed at this job for as long as they desire.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest into the trading floors, the software, the talent, the access to markets we can trade. We are convinced that we are all in this for the long run and this current and forward thinking support keeps that message alive. Keep it going!

"Great Prop Shop"

Pros

Work Life Balance - Watch movies half the day because the market is so inactive for humans

Cons

Terrible Management - You are judged by your last trade

"Equity Trader"

Current Employee - Equity Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Trillium Trading (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent "In-House" Technology (I couldn't imagine another Prop Firm having anything close to that level of technology and if they think they do I would like to see it). Great training program (2 weeks of learning in a classroom followed by a 1-on-1 mentor relationship for an entire year). Good learning environment on the trading floor with traders willing to share their methods and knowledge for the most part.

Cons

Realized that if you're not one of the top 20-30 traders after the first 3-4 years you're not going to be making much money, but I guess that's the point. With that being said there is still room to make money but by the time you get your % after taxes you'll know what I'm talking about.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure how I feel about the hole 20 K amnesty policy and way it was advertised/used. Don't get me wrong Trillium does give 20 K in amnesty which is awesome but looking back I don't really see how it is applicable since some kids may use a lot or a little. Also, management can be somewhat overly optimistic at times.

"Trader"

Current Employee - Equity Trader
    Current Employee - Equity Trader

Pros

- Challenging work
    - Entrepreneurial in nature
    - Biweekly salary for first year
    - Solid training and ongoing mentorship
    - Excellent in-house trading software
    - Offices in NYC, Chicago, and Miami
    - Fair pay structure
    - Company is very flexible and does not micromanage
    - Casual dress code

Cons

- Trading limited to U.S. and Canadian equities
    - Some trainers/mentors better than others
    - Much of the job is self-taught, don't expect to be coddled
    - Low lockout to start

Advice to Management

Low lockouts can be very limiting and often result in greater losses than would have otherwise occurred. A better policy would be an honor system in which traders are expected to stop trading once they're down a specified amount - but still allow them to trade on the close (when much of the money is made and there is less risk).

7. "Highly Recommended"

Pros

Incredible internship. Field trips to interesting venues around NYC, trading competitions, and great leadership. Only 6 weeks, so it gives you a great taste without over working you. Would recommend to anyone interested in a potential career in trading. Easy hours, no work on the weekends. Great mentorship program where you get to shadow a top trader in the company the whole summer.

Cons

There are no real cons to this internship.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing with the internship!!

8. "Equity Trader"

Pros

There is a lot of money to be made. If you want to be a trader this is the place to work. You will truly be challenged, but will look forward to going to work everyday. 99% of the population enjoys the weekend better than working at their actually job during the week. At this job you will look forward to Monday. This job is for intelligent people who dont want to work in the corporate 9-5 job, the atmosphere is laid back, but at the same time very serious. I was unable to consistently make money, and was eventually let go. However, I still enjoyed every minute of the experience and have nothing but positive things to say. I definitely recommend Trillium.

Cons

Not everyone makes money, but thats what makes being a trader so lucrative. There is a finite amount of money to be made, its up to you to figure out a way to get your piece of the pie.

Advice to Management

Give your traders at least 1 year to make money. Sometimes the leash may be a little short.

"Equity Trader"

Former Employee - Proprietary Equity Trader in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Proprietary Equity Trader in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Trillium Trading (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere for new trainees in the trader program. Most of the traders are very helpful and generous with sharing their experience and advice. Great trading technology and support staff as well.

Cons

The job is challenging and your success is truly in your hands. If you are the type of person who doesn't like autonomy and can't handle stressful environments, this isn't the job for you.

10. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Equity Trader Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Equity Trader Intern in New York, NY

Pros

-Hands-on experience as an Equity Trader
    -Extensive market research
    -Trillium treats the internship as an investment in your future
    -Great relationships with management and full-time traders

Cons

-Haven't experienced any downside yet

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!