Trimble Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • At times the work may get the better of you, but its in your hands to maintain the work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care about employee's and has done several layoffs to meet 20% profit growth for the company's stock price (in 11 reviews)

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- gym onsite
    - good work life balance (unless your name comes up)
    - many divisions with lots of real world tech
    - global company
    - emerging tech and markets
    - you tend to work on things that have an impact in the real world on everyday people
    - stock price has come back up in the last 5 years
    - self service convenient store located on site
    - food trucks come by a couple times per week

Cons

- there is literally no way to get promoted from senior software engineer level N to level N+1
    - much of the ip is bought from external companies, only the most critical employees from those purchases are kept on staff, and the on staff engineers get stuck making an enterprise grade product
    - they like to offshore, hire interns, and contractors, and then under pay their software engineers - we are treated like commodities
    - career opportunities consist of lateral moves between departments or moves from engineering into people management
    - in the software engineering side, many times there is a rush to ship features, many bugs are shipped, people to do testing are scarce, shortcuts are taken, and hot fixes happen often
    - no department I've worked with follows an agile process, think more scrum-a-fall

Advice to Management

- grow and promote the people that you have
    - don't just talk about career development, actually give us tools and show us the path, otherwise we will find other jobs
    - there are a lot of junior line level managers and not very many inspiring leaders

"full time"

Pros

nice facility, above average pay

Cons

high turnover, some employee disatisfaction

Advice to Management

listen to employees

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Trimble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers and a relaxed work environment.

Cons

Pay wasn't great. Promised career advancement and raises never appeared.

"Global Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Global Business Development Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Global Business Development Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Trimble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

International Outlook
    Relatively Flat Organization

Cons

Company is becoming too bureacratic

5. "One company, many products"

Current Employee - Customer Support Lead in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Support Lead in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Trimble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boulder office is a great culture and atmosphere. I love working in the Boulder office. Great people and a great product

Cons

Disjointed products and acquisitions. Company is moving faster than it can support.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the employees that make this company the success it is.

6. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits & pay
    - Flexible schedule (for my department, at least)
    - Really good facility that caters to staff needs
    - Awesome, smart coworkers
    - Innovative, so it's never boring

Cons

- Terrible coffee
    - Parking can be rough if you go in anytime after 8:30am some days

Advice to Management

Keep VSS's open communication model exactly how it is now. It's been great to learn alongside Co-workers, PMs, Directors, Engineers, etc alike, and modify our processes together as we need to. I enjoy being a part of such an involved team.

7. "okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Trimble (More than 3 years)

Pros

engineering teams are smart.
    work life balance is awesome

Cons

pay is little low.
    benefit is okay

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Westminster, CO

I worked at Trimble (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall I'd say Trimble is a great company to work for, but like anywhere, it's not perfect. There are lots of very smart people working there, and in general, I'd say it's a fairly well run company. In my opinion, the main pro's are:
    -The people were great. All of my coworkers were great people, and there is a ton of talent there. Everyone is outgoing and makes you feel welcome.
    -The CEO and many other executives seem like very genuine people. Trimble seems to have far better morals than many companies.
    -The technology there is cutting edge. It can be a steep learning curve, but the talent and technology are second to none.
    -The office was very new when I joined, but that may not be the case across the company.
    -Geographically and ethnically diverse. You get to travel to many places you'd otherwise never get to visit. You also get to work with people from a variety of countries and backgrounds which I found to be very rewarding.
    -The geospatial industry is great, so I enjoyed my time at Trimble.
    -There is a gym at the office which was convenient.
    -Salary and benefits were competitive, but not overly generous either.

Cons

Although I'd say there were more pros than cons, Trimble isn't perfect. My main complaints would be:
    -Layoffs seem to be very common. It seems like there were layoffs prior to every quarterly statement. I suppose this is one of the downsides of a publicly traded company, but over time it makes you uneasy every quarter.
    -Lots of politics. Each division within Trimble (there's a ton of divisions in the company) operates basically independently, so getting alignment amongst divisions is often very difficult and time consuming.
    -No decisions are made quickly. Product managers don't seem to have very much authority, so at times it can make you feel more like a messenger than a manager.
    -Trimble has traditionally been a market leader in some verticals, so you do get a sense of arrogance at times.
    -Way too many reorgs. In 3 years, I had 5 different managers. Very hard to form a relationship with a manager when you have a new one every few months.
    -Geography can be a problem. Our division was spread across the globe, so I only had access to my manager (and other teams i worked with) a couple hours a day.
    -Not a 9-5. If you expect to only work during business hours, Trimble is not the place for you.
    -No bonuses or other supplemental compensation. You do get profit sharing, but that only amounts to a couple hundred dollars a quarter. Not very generous given the time commitment you have to make.
    -Annual review structure needs to be reworked. There were so many reorganizations during my 3 years with the company I never actually had an official review. Hard to gauge your performance with no feedback.
    -The manager who hired me was a great mentor, but after that person was laid off, there was very little career advice.
    -There are no offices (regardless of position), so the office atmosphere can be very distracting.

Advice to Management

-Stop reorganizing the company every quarter.
    -Be better about mentorship and feedback. When you go 3 years without an annual review/feedback, thats a problem.
    -Make better decisions with hiring. You shouldn't have to reduce headcount every quarter. This is mostly like due to poor forecasting, but there were tons of talented people that were laid off due to cost cutting.
    -Give more decision making authority to managers.
    -Don't be so cautious. Fear of cannibalization drives more decisions than opportunity.
    -Provide bonuses other than just profit sharing. A couple hundred bucks a quarter isn't much incentive to go above and beyond.
    -Don't lost the "start-up" mentality. The casual and flexible atmosphere is definitely something Trimble is doing right. Don't ever change that.

9. "Now in Poverty"

I have been working at Trimble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

eh its Monday-Friday. you may have weekends off other then that it is a mundane boring job where (since its construction) the customers get to talk to you with no respect and management doesnt care. "They pay so they are right" mentality.

Cons

Was given 2 weeks notice to find Day Care for my son (during Christmas break). Told to travel a hour to and from work. Before Trimble bought my company, I was able to work from home, have my own place, pay my bills, take care of my son (single parent). Since Trimble bought the company I worked for, I was forced to put my son in day care, travel, lose all my overtime, lose the actual Holiday schedule I had and am forced to use my own PTO if I wish to have those holidays now off. Went from feeling like a person in a company that cared to feeling like a report on a piece of paper and as long as I stay above the line I am good. Seems like the salary people just float on by barely doing anything as the hourly works their butts off and are still broke.

Advice to Management

Act like you actually care about your employees well being and hold people accountable for their actions or lack of action.

"Not bad if you need resume padding and don't mind low pay/no raises"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No long hours: Most people don't work 40 hours/week, and most departments seem very flexible.

Skill building: Many departments are using one or more current/popular technologies, so that can help with resume building if you need that.

People: some of the people are great to work with.

Cons

Low pay: pay is very low, and many people are lied to in order to get them hired. The CEO gives each manager 3% raise money for all of his/hers employees per year. Oversimplified, if you get 4% your coworker just got 4%. They use a lot of H1-Bs and foreign workers to keep salary costs down.

Distracting working space in Westminster: The building is attractive looking but very distracting due to its open arrangement. Culture on all floors is interrupt when you feel like it, and meetings are plentiful and rarely produce any work. Management seems to ignore that meeting culture is prevalent and ineffective. Most meetings do not have an agenda and if they do, the results are not implemented.

Poor management: I have worked in a lot of different places in Trimble, and all of them have had too many cooks in the kitchen. Management seems to suffer from changing goals every few weeks to months, with no clear leader and seldom management is held accountable. Management and Marketing control most of what the engineers do, and usually do not listen to common sense. Much of management lacks basic technical skills and domain knowledge skills. Most of software development is done trying and failing to adhere to agile. The amount of managers and marketing people is overwhelming, especially in some departments. Software engineers will have 2-6 people in between them and the customer, never meet the customer, and be subject to the current infighting between managers and marketing. The company is very slow moving. You may get to work on current technologies but expect it to take a lot longer than normal - closer to government work than private sector speeds.

People: Many in middle management or similar positions have worked for the company for far too long. It seems like many people strive for job safety by creating difficult solutions, not documenting hardware or software, or making special, non-standard solutions to easy problems. It is also very hard to get good people hired. Trimble doesn't pay very well. Combine that with a very long interview process with internal recruiters that are not technical at all and that means there are rarely good candidates to choose from. Indian teams are utilized very frequently for software and tend to do very poor work. Indians that are brought over on H-1B seem to be much better and quicker.

Morale: Layoffs happen fairly frequently and are handled very poorly. Management will announce it once it has happened but will not go into any details. You won't know who was laid off or even how many people. Layoffs happen, in most cases that I have seen, when the business sectors are still highly profitable but below wildly inaccurate estimates.

Horizontal integration: Trimble has many different businesses, and none of them talk to each other well. The verticals keep to themselves and many times design the similar/same solutions, hardware, and software for different businesses. Acquired businesses do not seem to be absorbed very well and tend to operate as separate entities with a few notable exceptions.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable. Make the organization more flat. Close the gap between the people designing firmware/software and the customer. Start giving raises over 3% and seeking excellent employees. Stop making it so hard to hire people and stop making every requisition go up to the CEO. If you don't trust your underlings to do a good job, hire new people.