Trinet Internet Solutions Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Trinet Internet Solutions Developer Reviews

Developer

4.2
John Carley

1. "As an Intern, I see Trinet as a wealth of knowledge & experience, a place where my contributions truly make a difference"

Current Intern - Web Development Intern in Irvine, CA
    Current Intern - Web Development Intern in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Trinet Internet Solutions as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very knowledgeable and experienced coworkers.
    -Supervisors and Mangers know when to be both relaxed and official.
    -Great open-door policy and friendly atmosphere
    -Very good and moral approach to customers--not a company where the main goal is the bottom line at the expense of even the customers.

Cons

-Smaller company, so Interns sometimes have to take it upon themselves to learn or ask for things to do to learn--not necessarily a bad thing.
    -Smaller company, so those looking to move up quickly might not get the opportunity

Advice to Management

Not much, it seems they've thought of everything an employee needs for them to be successful and productive .

"They gave me a good job as a web developer, working in a great atmosphere, with wonderful people."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Temecula, CA

I worked at Trinet Internet Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Comfortable atmosphere, yet professional and focused
    2) To quote one of my former co-workers, "Even if I didn't work with these people, I'd still hang out with them".
    3) They try to be innovative, and forward thinking in their selection of projects, and their approach to them.
    4) They offered a fair amount of time off for an entry level position (2 weeks/ year), which accumulates evenly throughout the day for each day you work.
    5) The management, especially the tech lead was very helpful, especially in explaining the reasons for different technology, and development decisions. They seem to really look out for the whole team.

6) A design pattern snob like myself can learn a lot at this company, and I did learn a lot. One of the driving principles that they seem to operate on is the "Principle of diminishing returns" which is one that I failed to apply almost constantly, or until it was too late before working for this company.

Cons

1) In my personal opinion, it's a long term bad decision for any client to pay for a website that isn't mobile friendly (especially when they're paying a premium). I found that most of the sites being built by Trinet were not mobile friendly, and I think that's bad for their clients in the long term.

a. This is a con for me, because I like to know that I'm giving the end user the best they could receive. That being said, they had some good short term business reasons for not building every website "mobile first".
         b. This is also a con for me, because as a web developer, it it in my best interest to work on the latest and best technologies and platforms. I think the web industry is at a place where if a business (client) is not having something built for mobile technologies, they shouldn't be spending their money to have it built. I say that specifically with reference to companies having a website or web application built.

2) The long term maintainability and extensibility of the code written for each of their projects seemed to be a low priority. Just like number 1, this is a con for the client and the developer. Low priority for the long term maintainability and extensibility of the code, means that you rarely have opportunity to practice Test Driven Development, Object Oriented Programming principles (in the Gang of Four sense), or Inversion of Control patterns. In principle, this means that maintenance takes longer and costs more long term. It also means that as a developer, if you spend a long time with this company and seek another development position elsewhere, you may find that the skills that other companies are looking for, are not in your repertoire.

Advice to Management

I don't know how you would implement this, but if it were possible to put software design principles into practice more, for the benefit of your developers, and their professional growth, I would recommend that. In principle, when the principles mentioned in my cons list are practiced for long term benefit, while taking into consideration the principle of diminishing returns, your clients will benefit in the long term because overall maintenance and update costs should be lower. Of course, before theses benefits could be experienced, your development team would have to go through a growth period wherein they would have to get used to implementing these principles.

That being said, keep up the good work, I admire your dedication to all of your core values, and I think you've got a good set of core values. You're clearly doing very well, and I can't argue with your undeniable success.

Trinet Internet Solutions Response

Apr 20, 2015 – Dir. of Tech. & Web Dev.

Thank you for the positive feedback and taking the time to put a lot of thought into your review. We work very hard to hire quality people and provide an environment where people enjoy working and ... More

3. "Great Opportunity for Learning & Development, slower career advancement"

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Trinet Internet Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great office and team environment
    - Great learning potential with positive team work
    - Work that keeps you challenged and interested

Trinet is a great office environment with a positive and friendly team. Co-workers are quick to help and assist as well as teach and provide new information to assist in growth and development of your skills. There are a variety of tasks necessary which gives a highly diverse learning environment and an opportunity to improve many skills. Overall a positive work experience in the office place.

Cons

- Inadequate compensation
    - High level of time management required, which may be stressful
    - Slower responsiveness to growth potentials

The biggest qualm with Trinet is their lack of compensation or competitive compensation for the positions that are offered. Trinet is a great place for an entry level person with no previous work experience, but may not be the place for someone with more work experience expecting a competitive salary.

Time management is a huge skill that is necessary and may be stressful to those who do not like to work under a clock, but as time progresses may be something to be accustomed too. Due to the demand of work (positive aspect of the company) there may be little attention to personal growth potential due to the priority of getting tasks finished. Ambitious, hard working people may be underwhelmed with the job, especially when compensation does not match personal endeavors.

Advice to Management

Recognize the skills and abilities of employees and provide them competitive and appropriate compensation.

5. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Director of Technology and Web Development in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Technology and Web Development in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Trinet Internet Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started out here as a web programmer and have now been here over 8 years and currently head up our programming and I.T. / sysadmin teams. In my time here I've seen and experienced a lot, and have been quite happy working here. This is a great place to be able to grow your skills, enjoy what you're doing, and make a career. The people are great, and so is the environment. Sure, there are some things which still aren't perfect, but we've been learning and growing over the years.

My advice to someone who's reading this page is to ask us about anything that you have serious concerns about - we definitely don't want to bring people on board thinking they'll be happy and then they end up not being happy as that doesn't benefit anyone. Keep in mind when reading this site though that some reviews are from employees from a while ago - this site used to say what year they worked here, but in the past few months they removed that, and so for example, there's one dated Nov 09, 2011 but when it used to say when the person worked here, it said 2009, and so much has changed since then.

Really, I think that generally speaking, if someone is a good worker and considers the pros of wherever they are along with the cons, they will think this is a good company to work for. I know of multiple people in the past few years who used to work here and went to somewhere else and were later interested in coming back, and that's across three departments - programming, project management, and sales. There have also been people who worked here for years and eventually went to do something else, but were happy with their time here.

Here are some of the things I like about working here or that I think others may be especially interested in:
    1) We get to work with not only businesses, but also good-size non-profits and Christian ministries which gives us an opportunity to help make an impact in the world.
    2) Typically only working 40 hours/week. Some other companies expect people to work 45-50 hours per week or more and perhaps they also pay proportionally more. The company has said that work/life balance is important and part of that is keeping overtime to a minimum. I understand that some people would rather work more and make more, so for them this might not be the right fit, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but for other people this is a nice aspect of the job.
    3) Getting to work on a nice variety of projects rather than always working on the same project for a long time or the same stuff over and over. I've talked to multiple people who have come from one of those situations and they are bored and/or feel like they aren't advancing.
    4) Very good culture and people - coworkers are great to work with (even some of the critical reviews mention this if that tells you something). I can't think of any problems with office politics here or of anyone who isn't helpful.
    5) Job stability - the company has been around for over 17 years and is committed to providing job stability. This was even the case during the recent economic downturn.
    6) Opportunity for growth - I don't know how long it will take to achieve this, but the CEO has said that we are looking to grow to ~80-120 people and the company "theme" of 2012 was related to this, so I think that people who get in when we're smaller and who excel will be well-positioned to move into a leadership or senior role in their department over time.
    7) People can learn a lot here as there are constantly new challenges to tackle since we work on lots of different types of projects, and there are people who have a lot of experience who are able to provide guidance rather than everyone just having to figure things out on their own.

Cons

I don't really think there's anything I feel compelled to mention in particular, but like I said in the "pros", I'm certainly not claiming the company is perfect, but in considering both pros and cons, I think it's quite good.

Advice to Management

I tend to share advice as it comes up so I don't have anything in particular to say here at this time.