TripActions Reviews

Updated Aug 3, 2020

TripActions Co-Founder and CEO Ariel Cohen
Ariel Cohen
Pros
  • "2000 travel stipend (can't wait to use it(in 14 reviews)

• "Typical Start up amenities like a fully stocked fridge and catered lunches(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical of a start-up, lots of growing pains with facilities accommodating such a quickly growing team(in 12 reviews)

• "Pay is a little lower than market value for a Palo Alto tech startup, but the perks really made up for it(in 10 reviews)

"Great"

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TripActions full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work for if you are from the travel background. I never had that so it was a bit more challenging but overall great company

Cons

you have to take 3 test and it is mandatory to pass.

2. COVID-19

"A good product managed by a poorly run company that hid behind their amazing perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at TripActions full-time for more than a year

Pros

TripActions actually has a great product, mainly because most competitors are stuck in the 90s. But TA has kept up with modern technology and design principles. They will for sure be a leader in the industry in the years to come as long as they do the bare minimum of keeping up with the times. Pre-COVID: - Free breakfast, lunch and snacks - Nice office space with a coffee bar manned by private baristas - Generous travel and wellness stipends - Most employees are very friendly - Free beer after 4PM - Free shuttle from CalTrain

Cons

Pay is a little lower than market value for a Palo Alto tech startup, but the perks really made up for it. But once COVID happened, about all the perks were taken away, which made it hard for the leadership team to hide their incompetence by distracting us with free food and drinks. What makes the product so good is the sleek design and incredible price model, but a lot of energy and resources are spent on building really useless features that only 1% of all users have even bothered to look at.

3. COVID-19

"So frustrated"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at TripActions full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product is incredible. The new CRO has brought on some great changes and there's a lot of money to be made, but you'll be sacrificing your happiness.

Cons

I started as an AE a year and a half ago. Prospecting was about 25% of my job. With the new CRO, prospecting now fills up about 65-70% of my day, every day. Simply put, I did not sign up for this. If you get a job offer at TA and are someone who likes to own the full sales cycle (prospecting, closing, onboarding) you'll do well here. If you are an AE that wants 1/3 of your opps to be self-sourced, and 2/3 to come from SDRs, LOOK ELSEWHERE. Even my colleagues that are GOOD at prospecting and get extra opps passed to them bc of their efforts are really unhappy with this change. Morale on the salesfloor is low, and it's not because of Covid. It's because the AE's here, at every level, are expected to do more PG than AE's at the majority of other sales orgs.

"Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at TripActions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the leadership's transparency. Lupo is a great mentor and teacher.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TripActions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At this point the only pro is that we are all working from home so we don’t have to see each other in this stressful condition.

Cons

We are under complete and utter stress 24/7. The company has made it almost impossible to do our jobs correctly. We’ve been put under the light of the APP that never works correctly and are still told we need to figure it out under a certain amount of time or else we will be written up. We are also being told that upper management is being pinned against each other in efforts to get rid of people. They have completely undermined the lower teared group of consultants and put them in a position where they have no room to move. Other employees are in a position where they don’t think there is any way they can positively come out of this job OK. It has become a disaster for a company I once thought was great to work for. These problems did not occur when covid-19 happened they already existed before then.

"Wasted opportunity"

Former Employee - Road Warrior in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at TripActions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Catered lunches, nice offices, good perks (though many have been eliminated recently)

Cons

An ugly culture that fosters favoritism, tattling, and burning people out. You will be required to self-report mistakes you've made in a system called "Shamaym" (that the CEO of TripActions just happens to be a board member of). Great idea if anybody actually did anything with this information. But it's just a policing system for execs. The whole GTM org has had it's enthusiasm completely strip-mined by leadership. As stated by others, the commission structure makes zero sense. The former CRO, who oversaw all the growth that TripActions actually enjoyed, was unceremoniously replaced by a friend of the CMO. Marketing creates videos of paper airplanes and calls it a campaign. Some people seem to love it. But after they did a mass layoff in March 2020, it became clear the majority of people did not love it.

7. COVID-19

"Dont work here"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at TripActions full-time for more than a year

Pros

food beer food beer food beer food beer oh wait not anymore.

Cons

ever since covid, its clear, this company wont be returning back to 'normal'. Travel has changed forever. The company is on the decline and along with that we have inexperienced management and a new CRO who has not a clue. I would work here again.

"Gone downhill"

I have been working at TripActions full-time

Pros

Great product, well positioned for when travel begins again, amazing co-workers, unlimited PTO. The only reason I'm still here is because I hold out hope that one day we will actually dominate the corporate travel space, and because I love my team.

Cons

Where do I begin? I want to preface this by saying I speak primarily about the sales organization. This company had an amazing culture back in 2019. Leadership trusted its employees, employees trusted leadership. Morale was high and we all really felt like we were a part of something special, and it felt like we were truly a family. Boom - leadership then lets ambitious sales goals and unrealistic plans for fast growth get the best of the entire organization. I'm all for a start up to set a high bar for itself, but at what cost? It certainly should not be at the expense of employee trust, confidence, and overall morale. Not at the expense of SDRs being treated like nothing more than a PG robot with no soul. Not at the expense of voices bot being heard. The former reviews explaining how TripActions has done a 180 since the beginning of 2020 are completely and utterly true. Direct managers do an amazing job of listening to their managees, but unfortunately leadership does not try to understand or care to see things from our point of view - they will do whatever takes (including ruling by fear, which is an incredibly ludicrous tactic, especially during times of crisis) to make sure the board sees the numbers they were told to expect. Ever since they hired our new CRO, leadership has time and time again set vague expectations just to change them up weekly and expect us the sales org to "just suck it up" and if we "don't like it, leave." There is zero emphasis on nurturing current employees, helping them improve, and giving them clear path to promotion. It's honestly laughable how much this company has fallen from grace. And don't even get me started on how poorly leadership has addressed the BLM movement, but I feel the need to comment on that as well. Do not expect the POC at your company (which are few and far between, particularly on the exec team), to tell you how to run your company, EDUCATE yourself and then actually DO the work if you want to be a true ally to the black community. And don't you dare make any excuses as to why it's taken this long to even address the diversity issue when it has been brought up several times by your employees. I'm tired, and I'm disappointed.

TripActions Response

June 22, 2020Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you for your candid feedback. It wasn’t easy to read, but I appreciate your perspective. There is clearly work for us to do to ensure TripActions is a place where you feel supported. It is true that we have ambitious sales goals, but I believe they are attainable. In order for us to win this market, we have to set goals that are ambitious while arming ourselves to achieve them. It is also true that as we’ve grown, our jobs have gotten more specific. It’s important that leadership provides strategic clarity and sets expectations in order to bring focus to the work we do. This specificity is necessary so that you can focus your energy on your job without having to wonder if you’re doing it well. This is not a matter of trust, but it is our shared quest for excellence, which requires clear goals and accountability. Hopefully, you heard me share our expectations of the team, backed by the metrics we track, at our Sales All Hands this week. If you still don’t feel it’s clear, please know that you can always talk with your direct manager or with me. We all want TripActions to be successful and that means ensuring you are too. I also recognize there’s work to be done on the diversity, equity, and inclusion front and we are prioritizing this across the company. We are working closely with our people leaders to take immediate action as it relates to unconscious bias training, evaluating our hiring practices, and putting a strategy in place to ensure we’re being intentional about our D&I initiatives. There will be more information shared internally on the steps we’re taking and progress being made. Lastly, I encourage you to share your feedback internally as issues arise. It is always valuable for us to address issues in real-time, when they come up. I would encourage you (or anyone) to share feedback with someone who can help address it - this typically starts with your direct manager, but I am always available as is your HRBP. -Carlos

"Carlos"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at TripActions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product, extremely intelligent employees, great perks. Was great in 2019.

Cons

Ever since the CRO took over the sales org it all went down hill. If only you all couldve seen this guy at SKO. Was I the only one extremely confused how this guy got hired? Its just one unrealistic goal after another that changes every week. He is not a leader. He is absolutely clueless and has no respect for the sales team whatsoever.

Continue reading
  10. "Great company with great people"

Former Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TripActions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very open communication and collaboration between teams. Very flexible PTO and work life balance

Cons

Clunky sales process due to quick pace

Found 173 reviews