TripAdvisor Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Intern in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor part-time

Pros

Free Snacks, Nice Office Building, Versatile Work Space, Great Benefits

Cons

The constant meetings can be distracting, should consider a more collaborative in higher level management positions.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thing

2. "Great Experience, Great People, Inexperienced Manager"

Former Intern - Intern in Needham, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks, I learned a lot, amazing people, and cool insight into the tech and travel world.

Cons

My manager just did not seem ready to have an intern and I felt neglected most of the time. I just wanted to learn as much as possible but it was difficult when your manager just doesn't have time for you. The recruiting team assigned to interns was very cliquey and took their stress out on interns.

Advice to Management

Don't neglect your interns. They're employees too and it looks bad on the company.

3. "Enjoyable work, great team and perks"

Former Intern - Content Management Intern in Needham, MA
    Former Intern - Content Management Intern in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- The company tries to really involve the interns and make sure we have a great time
    - Engaging work that has real impact
    - Company lunch and gym, other perks are available to interns

Cons

None, really; but there is a large distinction made between high school and college interns in terms of available events.

Advice to Management

None

"Attract & Retain: Not Getting the Message"

Former Employee - Software Architect in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Boston, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of excellent people, mostly nondysfunctional work culture, tons of perks , free parking, free food, attractive and comfortable building, flexible hours.

Cons

Main office is far from public transit. Company-provided shuttle buses don't work well in Boston traffic. No on-site chld care.

Advice to Management

Expand Causeway office to be an option for urban-dwelling younger talent (maybe working 2 days/week in Needham).

Oct 7, 2017 – SVP Engineering and Operations

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and I’m pleased to see that you enjoyed many of the things that make TripAdvisor a top place to work. As you mentioned, TripAdvisor offers not only... More

5. "Great headquarters to work in"

Former Intern - Sales Intern in Needham, MA
    Former Intern - Sales Intern in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Headquarters has every amenity imaginable

Cons

Interns aren't given challenging work, and the work doesn't feel meaningful at times

Advice to Management

Create a curriculum or specific tasks for interns

"Wouldn't Recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch
    Quality Engineering Teams
    Shuttles from greenline

Cons

Erratic management driven by latest shiny object
    Lip service to "no jerk" rule
    Suburbs

Advice to Management

At the end of the day, this is Steve Kaufer's company. I'm not sure that the advice of "find a ceo focused on strategy, not finding all of the bugs on TripAdvisor" will really cause you to look for a CEO focused on the right things.

7. "Phenomenal"

Current Intern - Intern in Needham, MA
    Current Intern - Intern in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern

Pros

Being a student who eventually wants to own a company in the tech industry, Trip has been the perfect place for me to gain some insight into what my dream could look like, which is all I could ever ask for. I’ve loved working within the content team, but I’ve also loved branching out and learning about some of the other departments, whether it be through assigned side projects, TripChats, or just by asking questions. I feel as if I’ve been able to get a well-rounded feel for how Trip operates. The office environment is phenomenal as well. It’s clear that all of the employees here are hardworking people who like their jobs, see and understand Trip’s vision, and enjoy being here. And they have fun too, whether it be outside on the lawn or in the game room.

Cons

The only thing I'd complain about would be not having enough time. I would have loved to be able to extend this further into the school year and continue to learn more about the company.

Advice to Management

Continue exposing the interns to new projects, opportunities, and people.

8. "Overally Great Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and positive culture, Great Perks. Colleagues are very smart and easygoing to work with. Most everyone (95%) are nice and willing to help others. Definitely a great place for both working hard and playing hard.

Cons

n/a not much, mostly good

Advice to Management

would be good to have a better engineer rotation program or career advancement program

good engineer bad leadership when senior engineer acting as Technical Manager without going through proper vesting and review. Wish all leadership positions were more carefully chosen.

Jul 27, 2017

Thanks for your feedback and for your continued commitment to TripAdvisor. I appreciate you highlighting the positive and friendly culture here and I definitely agree that we’re fortunate to work... More

"Come for the free lunch, leave when you see that Speed Does Not Always Win."

Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with most of the reviews here: fairly competitive compensation, robust benefits package, great HQ space for employees, a genuine passion by the employees for the brand, a strong corporate philanthropy program and there are some supremely talented individuals in the company that are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

- Global company that acts local and insular. Decisions are driven out of Needham with little strategic consideration for the international offices or the territories in which we have a presence. There are a few senior leaders who have "global" responsibilities in their title that rarely travel to offices outside of Needham.
    - There is so much pivoting that we are all dizzy from doing a 180 based on the latest change of direction. We are a global company in the digital space that has to be nimble and flexible for the marketplace, but there has to be some discipline in how we think about product and marketing or you start heading to the land of inertia. It is no wonder the company is struggling for the past few years. The CEO often talks about playing the long game but we don't stay focused on a strategy, there is no real roadmap (it changes every week) and the words "strategic planning" don't exist. The process and hoops you have to jump through to do the right thing and drive the business is numbing.
    - Speed wins is the company motto but the CEO and key executives do not embrace "speed wins" when it comes to the HR process, performance reviews, merit increases or bonus payouts. It is an archaic, bureaucratic, political -- and from what I have seen something of a capricious and arbitrary process that does not value the employees who have allowed TripAdvisor to thrive. Perhaps management only receives their compensation rewards and merit increases after the employee review process is completed and the employees have received theirs.
    - Promotions are difficult to achieve for talented employees as management can be opaque on promotions and the process for promotions.
    - Turnover is rampant across most areas but especially in marketing. The organization at large does not seem to understand or value marketing or publicity - other companies that do value marketing and PR such as Priceline, Expedia, Trivago and Google are eating our lunch in a space where we should be dominating across the board. There are some brilliant marketing and PR professionals at TA who have been hamstrung by an organization who naively thinks that consumer behavior can be changed if you put a home page pop up message telling the consumer what TripAdvisor thinks it should do.

Advice to Management

- Improve the performance review, promotions and merit review process so that employees don't feel as if they are a part of the Hunger Games "may the odds be ever in your favor" that you will get a productive review and merit increase on time.
    - Senior leadership - please leave your offices and spend time with your employees and if you are global, get out of Needham a couple of times a year and be present for the offices in London and Singapore.
    - Understand that you are not just in the product business, you are in the content and experience business and great content and needs real marketing to support the consumer behavior you want to change. Please value marketing as much as you value product and engineering. You have seen what happens when you do not value and/or invest in marketing and so have our competitors.
    - People don't leave great companies (which TripAdvisor should be given its great benefits package and its brand proposition), people leave poor management.

May 26, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your extensive review and for honoring one of TripAdvisor’s core values, transparency, by sharing your feedback. You are clearly someone who cares tremendously about our success, our... More

10. "Good to employees"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham Heights, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham Heights, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits and nice offices globally. Most of the people are really smart and great to work with and it's generally a nice environment to work in.

Cons

Career progression can be somewhat limited.

Advice to Management

HR business partners in the global offices (outside of headquarters) would help make people feel stronger about career advancement opportunities.