TripAdvisor Reviews in Newton, MA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Newton, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing atmosphere - collaborative and fostering a sense of teamwork and creativity.

Cons

Personally didn't have anything I disliked, I see a lot of opportunity to learn and grow.

"good employer, but do not plan to grow your career"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good benefits scheme (healthcare, dental, company parties, well being allowance)
    - relatively low-stress environment
    - flexibility: most teams allow members to work from home/work remotely regularly (on average 1-2 days a week).

Cons

- career progression: if you work outside of the hotels category - difficult to progress or grow your careers. so, you should be happy with your current position and do not count on progressing as its very difficult to do.
    - great benefits for new fathers, full canteen.
    - many key decisions driven out of the US - so during times of uncertainty and significant company changes you will feel able to influence.

Advice to Management

- Find a way to keep and promote our best talent.

"A down to earth work experience"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was an intense place to work but I liked the people a lot and felt like everyone was very real and down to earth

Cons

When I was there, HR and Recruiting were not organized and there was a lack of leadership in both areas that was causing problems.

Advice to Management

Continue being honest and straightforward. Be open to different types of people who can contribute to the company.

Jan 4, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your comments. I agree that this is an environment where people work hard, but are generally nice and really down to earth; I see this every day. I am glad you had the same experience... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn new skills and move around the organization if you're motivated. Very good on work-life balance if you're on the right team.

Cons

Sr Management isn't decisive enough-- they let things like reorgs and responsibility changes fester for a long time before making them official-- long enough so that everyone knows something is coming, but doesn't know what.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting team against team and creating siloes. Let the teams work together to achieve the best outcomes for the company.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your comments, and I’m glad to see that you're enjoying the career mobility and work-life balance that TripAdvisor offers. The senior management team agrees that teams working together... More

5. "Such a great environment for interns"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Newton, MA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern

Pros

Very nice, helpful people. Free lunch. As an intern, I really wasn't treated as one, I was given full-time projects to work on, which is great! I learned a lot.

Cons

The "speed wins" philosophy may not suit all engineers: leads too somewhat messy codes

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Newton, MA

Pros

Overall a great company. Benefits are amazing and work life balance is very good.

Cons

not a lot of advancement or career growth opportunities that are defined

7. "Product Intern"

Former Intern - China Product in Newton, MA
    Former Intern - China Product in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good colleagues
    good benefits
    good intern programs

Cons

not really... everything was awesome

"Good first job, but don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Directly building something people use is great

Cons

No career growth, I was in the same role 3 years after I was hired. "Speed wins" is used to justify sloppy work and never addressing the mountain of technical debt. New technologies, even those proven elsewhere in the industry, are resisted.

Advice to Management

Stop being such a beurocratic, process-driven company. Your best people aren't seeing the recognition (title and salary) and are leaving.

Jan 27, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you felt this was a great first work experience and you enjoyed working on our product. As with any successful company we have accumulated technical... More

"Sinking (shiny) Ship"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Free lunch. Honestly, everyone lists the free lunch as one of the few things good about TripAdvisor. Consider how meaningless a "pro" this is.

Cons

TripAdvisor benefits from an advantage of having more content than it's competitors. Not only will this advantage not last forever, but the company risks having it's lunch eaten by another player using TripAdvisor's own API to display it's content in a more useful, relevant manner. The executives at TripAdvisor are more interested in muddling feature on top of feature, than they are in settting a reasonable and innovative strategy and improving their existing product. But culture eats strategy for breakfast, and the culture at TripAdvisor is breathtakingly saccharine, selfish, and void of anything approaching professional development or learning. "Speed wins" at TripAdvisor, which means any opportunity to learn, to grow, to succeed in something other than a wildly thrown together mess, loses. Speed wins so much that the code base is a mess, left to engineering to deal with (or run away from), and that sales can't even keep up with the new functionality. And that new functionality roadmap? Doesn't come from the users. TripAdvisor could not possibly be any less user-centered. Product Managers rule the roost here, and their idea of engaging user feedback is a/b testing, and only a/b testing. Meanwhile, customer service is fielding thousands of complaints, but are put in the impossible position of either not being familiar with the (often new and fleeting) functionality, or having to just file a bug with existing functionality that has little hope of ever getting fixed. The supposed quality control of the PMs is "Product Review," in which 30 people glued to their laptops, sit around a table, only to momentarily perk up 2 hours into the meeting when their spec is presented. But hey, FREE LUNCH!

Advice to Management

This is all on CEO Steve Kaufer. Certainly a smart guy, but TripAdvisor needs a change, and his micromanaging ways (like insisting on personally approving all job reqs) need to go. Astonishingly, TripAdvisor (over 3,000 global employees) insists that it has a start up culture. I see literally nothing in common TripAdvisor has with a startup, in any substantive way. Recognize yourself for what you are, and that your entire value proposition is tied up in users giving you content for free. Might want to design your product around those users. TripAdvisor has already hit the iceberg; the question now is whether or not they'll issue a mayday for help and alter course for nearest land, or just continue on into the abyss. Speed wins, after all.

Feb 9, 2016 – CEO

Wow, I'm surprised to have such an unhappy employee, and I would be happy to chat in person about this as well. Let me try to explain my thinking on the points you raise.

Content licensing: We... More

"Steve Kaufer was a great CEO while I was there"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Worked at TA for 4+ years. It was a good ride. For 4 years I was always glad to head to the office in the morning (when that changed, I knew it was time to move on)

Steve Kaufer was the best tech CEO I'v worked for. Didn't get caught up in the details of the technology, but he set challenging engineering goals and kept the company focused on results.

Cons

Engineering management was rarely available and not really supportive.