TripAdvisor Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
Cons
  • Some poor work life balance at times (in 12 reviews)

• Poor upper management and confusion in the direction of the company (in 20 reviews)

"growing organization with a great culture but weak vision"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quality, talented people. Well resourced. High visibility at all levels of the organization. Flexible organizational structure to evolves to meet opportunities. High growth creates many opportunities.

Cons

Culture favors iteration over necessary step changes. Management sometimes treats success metrics as a vision and doesn't defend the user experience. Few women at senior positions and implicit biases often surface. Weakness in the director ranks create churn.

Advice to Management

Set more of a vision and guidelines to unify the organization. Reflect on why women are not 50/50 in the product organization despite junior ranks weighing heavily towards more women.

"It was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, really smart and fun people to work with, individual and team bonuses, dogs.

Cons

Bad management gets rewarded, lower salaries because of perks

Advice to Management

Stop turning a blind eye to bad managers and getting rid of the good people who work their heart out for you.

"Time to go beyond the perks"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just like others have written, the free food, snacks everywhere, fun events like Halloween party, great gym and amazing office space. So basically...the perks
    The feeling that you are working at a "cool place"

Cons

Senior Management seems out of touch with the majority of the staff.
    The motto of "Speed Wins" is spoken about all topics, all projects, but not all projects are the same and "Speed Wins" does not always make sense
    The constant feeling of stress due to unrealistic timelines.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and start asking some really hard questions.
    What has changed? What can we do to stop good people from leaving?
    Acknowledge that not all things need to be done fast "Speed Wins" is not always the answer.

Apr 3, 2017 – SVP, Product

I appreciate the feedback and I hope that you were able to share your thoughts with your manager or HRBP before you left TripAdvisor. I agree that different projects can require different approaches ... More

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good work/life balance, free food, free gym, beautiful office with snacks, free shuttle if you don't want to drive, and a laid back culture that rarely fires anyone.

Cons

Layers and layers of approval for the smallest decisions, with each layer contradicting the layer above it. Managers do not know how to manage - a lot of micro-management. The concept and practice of mentorship do not exist because managers have never been exposed to that themselves. This is not a place to stretch your wings or learn to be the best-in-class, this is a place to relax, especially if you have children. It's perfect for the right person with not a lot of ambition.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Start letting your employees do their job instead of micro-managing them. And if they consistently do a bad job, just fire them.

Feb 6, 2017 – SVP, Product

Thanks for your candid feedback. We are very proud of the benefits, office experience and work life balance that TripAdvisor provides and I’m pleased to see your positive remarks about all of these ... More

"Okay"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great new building - really makes a difference in work effectiveness. Right away you get to work on big, impactful projects.

Cons

Bigger company so red tape in getting things done. Spend a lot of time coordinating with other teams and getting buy in. Pay is not competitive.

Jul 25, 2016 – SVP, Product

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to see that you're enjoying the new building and impactful work that we do here. I appreciate your comments surrounding project coordination and buy in. Finding ... More

"A rocket ship of a company"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team members. Very intelligent, thoughtful and nice. They encourage employees to try new things, not to fear failure.

Cons

There are several management layers, so career growth can be quite slow.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the awesome work!

"Many great reasons to stay, but..."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Have you seen the new office? It's wonderful! Heard about the no a$$h0l3 policy? It's true! Free, catered lunches, alcohol, snacks and coffee (iced or hot)? Check. A cooperative, self-starter culture and talented co-workers? Check and check. There are so many wonderful things that make working at TripAdvisor great.

Cons

As the company morphs into a large, corporate entity, the values are getting lost in a mountain of meetings, quarterly reviews and daily progress reports. Doubtless the company will rediscover its identity (something it is serious about), but not before a few good folks decide it's time to move on.

Advice to Management

Have a consistent culture and set of values across all teams. For example, there is such a HUGE disparity between how managers interpret 'flexible hours' across the company (from 'that's fine' to 'that's not possible'). Definitely a big difference between how this was interpreted just a handful of years ago.

Apr 7, 2016 – SVP, Product

Thank you for your feedback and it’s great to see that you’re enjoying the culture and many great benefits that we offer here at TripAdvisor. I appreciate your thoughtful remarks regarding our ... More

"Don't be fooled by these reviews."

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunch. That's about it. Since I'm required to write 20 words then I just...

Cons

Terrible culture. Vindictive and polictical. You'll be pushed to work nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Adapt and value your employees.

Apr 14, 2016 – SVP, Product

Thank you for your comments, although it’s very disappointing to read about your negative experience here. Culture is important at TripAdvisor and is one of our most important challenges as we ... More

"Great place to work. Really great time in this hidden gem."

Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

Pros

A hidden gem. People don't really know what goes on at TripAdvisor, but they have a great thing going that was really special to be a part of. It's not as flashy or sexy as some other companies from the outside, but on the inside it was very fulfilling. Never once did I dread going to work, which was a first for me. In fact sometimes I liked it! Sometimes I think about asking to go back.

Cons

Only real negative I can think of is that they are like a machine so a little less prone to take risks with the product. But hey, they have a good thing going and it works.

Advice to Management

Try a few experiments with outside the box projects and see what happens. The talent is there to make it work in a big way.

"Rough treatment by management team but great coworkers and benefits"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

Pros

Gold-standard benefits, competitive salaries, stable high-growth company, smart and driven coworkers, great opportunities for young/new employees to learn and grow (to a certain point), easy access to highway for suburban people

Cons

Management team micro-manages, little room for experienced hires to grow, poor work-life balance, no thank yous or appreciation for good work, heavy territorial politics among senior management team, not easy access to the MBTA

Advice to Management

Give your mid-level managers enough guidance on what you want done and then back off and let them do their jobs. Stop reorganizing the company again and again.