TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Excellent company - values, goals, teamwork"

Former Employee - Director in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Ewing, NJ

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with highly competent, high performing teams. Respectful working environment. Dynamic product development.

Cons

Challenging stretch goals, not necessarily a bad thing!

Advice to Management

I have a lot of respect for Steve Kaufer, I've learned a lot from him on how to lead and how to grow a mission into a solid company without losing the startup charm.

Jan 4, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We’re very proud of the culture and hardworking teams at TripAdvisor. Thank you for being a dedicated member of our team for the past several years,and for... More

2. "Good people, good benefits, high expectations"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Ability to work on interesting projects and learn new areas
    Great benefits/ perks
    Good work/life balance
    Dedication to improving/ responding to feedback
    Pretty good autonomy and empowerment at the mid-levels

Cons

Executive management doesn't seem to talk to each other about issues affecting multiple teams
    Can't get decisions made at the highest levels
    Seeming lack of interest in current employee satisfaction

Advice to Management

Executive management needs to lead by example- talk to each other when issues come up. Don't expect that your directs can make high-level cross functional decisions when you can't.

"Wouldn't Recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch
    Quality Engineering Teams
    Shuttles from greenline

Cons

Erratic management driven by latest shiny object
    Lip service to "no jerk" rule
    Suburbs

Advice to Management

At the end of the day, this is Steve Kaufer's company. I'm not sure that the advice of "find a ceo focused on strategy, not finding all of the bugs on TripAdvisor" will really cause you to look for a CEO focused on the right things.

4. "Overally Great Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and positive culture, Great Perks. Colleagues are very smart and easygoing to work with. Most everyone (95%) are nice and willing to help others. Definitely a great place for both working hard and playing hard.

Cons

n/a not much, mostly good

Advice to Management

would be good to have a better engineer rotation program or career advancement program

good engineer bad leadership when senior engineer acting as Technical Manager without going through proper vesting and review. Wish all leadership positions were more carefully chosen.

Jul 27, 2017

Thanks for your feedback and for your continued commitment to TripAdvisor. I appreciate you highlighting the positive and friendly culture here and I definitely agree that we’re fortunate to work... More

5. "Marketing Manager"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Smart people to work with

Cons

Very tops down approach compared to my previous job

6. "Good to employees"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham Heights, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham Heights, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits and nice offices globally. Most of the people are really smart and great to work with and it's generally a nice environment to work in.

Cons

Career progression can be somewhat limited.

Advice to Management

HR business partners in the global offices (outside of headquarters) would help make people feel stronger about career advancement opportunities.

7. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people are really great to work with.

Cons

Upper management lives in ints own reality.

Advice to Management

Need to have better long term vision

Jul 11, 2017

Thanks for your comments, although without further detail it’s difficult to address your specific concerns. We take employee feedback very seriously and offer many opportunities, such as monthly town... More

"Come for the free lunch, leave when you see that Speed Does Not Always Win."

Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with most of the reviews here: fairly competitive compensation, robust benefits package, great HQ space for employees, a genuine passion by the employees for the brand, a strong corporate philanthropy program and there are some supremely talented individuals in the company that are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

- Global company that acts local and insular. Decisions are driven out of Needham with little strategic consideration for the international offices or the territories in which we have a presence. There are a few senior leaders who have "global" responsibilities in their title that rarely travel to offices outside of Needham.
    - There is so much pivoting that we are all dizzy from doing a 180 based on the latest change of direction. We are a global company in the digital space that has to be nimble and flexible for the marketplace, but there has to be some discipline in how we think about product and marketing or you start heading to the land of inertia. It is no wonder the company is struggling for the past few years. The CEO often talks about playing the long game but we don't stay focused on a strategy, there is no real roadmap (it changes every week) and the words "strategic planning" don't exist. The process and hoops you have to jump through to do the right thing and drive the business is numbing.
    - Speed wins is the company motto but the CEO and key executives do not embrace "speed wins" when it comes to the HR process, performance reviews, merit increases or bonus payouts. It is an archaic, bureaucratic, political -- and from what I have seen something of a capricious and arbitrary process that does not value the employees who have allowed TripAdvisor to thrive. Perhaps management only receives their compensation rewards and merit increases after the employee review process is completed and the employees have received theirs.
    - Promotions are difficult to achieve for talented employees as management can be opaque on promotions and the process for promotions.
    - Turnover is rampant across most areas but especially in marketing. The organization at large does not seem to understand or value marketing or publicity - other companies that do value marketing and PR such as Priceline, Expedia, Trivago and Google are eating our lunch in a space where we should be dominating across the board. There are some brilliant marketing and PR professionals at TA who have been hamstrung by an organization who naively thinks that consumer behavior can be changed if you put a home page pop up message telling the consumer what TripAdvisor thinks it should do.

Advice to Management

- Improve the performance review, promotions and merit review process so that employees don't feel as if they are a part of the Hunger Games "may the odds be ever in your favor" that you will get a productive review and merit increase on time.
    - Senior leadership - please leave your offices and spend time with your employees and if you are global, get out of Needham a couple of times a year and be present for the offices in London and Singapore.
    - Understand that you are not just in the product business, you are in the content and experience business and great content and needs real marketing to support the consumer behavior you want to change. Please value marketing as much as you value product and engineering. You have seen what happens when you do not value and/or invest in marketing and so have our competitors.
    - People don't leave great companies (which TripAdvisor should be given its great benefits package and its brand proposition), people leave poor management.

May 26, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your extensive review and for honoring one of TripAdvisor’s core values, transparency, by sharing your feedback. You are clearly someone who cares tremendously about our success, our... More

"not worth going"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I will come back fill in the blank if I can think of any pros later.

Cons

Terrible biz model. It is a non-tech tech company. Terrible place for engineers and young people. Stock prices never lie.

Advice to Management

Be responsible, be creative and be flexible. Hire better people.

Jul 11, 2017

Thank you for your review although your comments are disappointing. Your experience differs from what I hear from most employees who speak highly of the challenging, collaborative, innovative and... More

"Okay company, good benefits, leadership misguided"

Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits
    Widely recognized brand
    Fair pay for industry
    401k matching
    Matching charity pay for charity of your choice

Cons

A lot of management is misguided, and not well-versed in modern mobile application design.

Oftentimes other teams or groups are skirting past user testing ideas before investing time and resources. Really inefficient and poor for building great product users want.

Old ways of doing things, hard to change culture or streamline processes.

Way too many meetings.

"Spec" process and constant back and forth on approvals takes entirely too long.

The "speed wins" mentality is antiquated and honestly I never felt like anyone I worked with believed in it. If it mattered, we wouldn't have had so many meetings or rounds of approvals.

It took weeks and weeks of calls, meetings, and a lot of ineffiencies to even ship ONE small feature.

Layers and layers of reporting structures.

I oftentimes found myself in meetings with people wondering why they were even there. 20+ invitees and four people are talking while everyone else buried in their laptops trying to get work done.

Some folks have been there too long and stuck in their ways. Clean house.

Some poor work life balance at times. Some peers were working 16 hour days during crunch time on projects that never materialized. Emails being sent over the weekend.

Raise and bonus structure was poor, and my reviews were very late.

Advice to Management

Downsize and streamline the teams.
    Get a VP or head of design and get better leadership in that area. Why are product designers reporting into marketing?
    Fix your meeting culture. Not everything needs a meeting. Go walk up to someone and talk for 5 minutes.