TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

1. Featured Review

"Excellent company - values, goals, teamwork"

Former Employee - Director in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Ewing, NJ

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with highly competent, high performing teams. Respectful working environment. Dynamic product development.

Cons

Challenging stretch goals, not necessarily a bad thing!

Advice to Management

I have a lot of respect for Steve Kaufer, I've learned a lot from him on how to lead and how to grow a mission into a solid company without losing the startup charm.

Jan 4, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We’re very proud of the culture and hardworking teams at TripAdvisor. Thank you for being a dedicated member of our team for the past several years,and for ... More

2. "Level 1 Room Evaluated"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Make your own schedule
    -Weekly pay check
    -Incentives

Cons

-A lot of waiting in airports
    -Weather demanding

Advice to Management

-Give the employee the tools to start their business

3. "Good to employees"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham Heights, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham Heights, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits and nice offices globally. Most of the people are really smart and great to work with and it's generally a nice environment to work in.

Cons

Career progression can be somewhat limited.

Advice to Management

HR business partners in the global offices (outside of headquarters) would help make people feel stronger about career advancement opportunities.

4. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people are really great to work with.

Cons

Upper management lives in ints own reality.

Advice to Management

Need to have better long term vision

"Come for the free lunch, leave when you see that Speed Does Not Always Win."

Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with most of the reviews here: fairly competitive compensation, robust benefits package, great HQ space for employees, a genuine passion by the employees for the brand, a strong corporate philanthropy program and there are some supremely talented individuals in the company that are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

- Global company that acts local and insular. Decisions are driven out of Needham with little strategic consideration for the international offices or the territories in which we have a presence. There are a few senior leaders who have "global" responsibilities in their title that rarely travel to offices outside of Needham.
    - There is so much pivoting that we are all dizzy from doing a 180 based on the latest change of direction. We are a global company in the digital space that has to be nimble and flexible for the marketplace, but there has to be some discipline in how we think about product and marketing or you start heading to the land of inertia. It is no wonder the company is struggling for the past few years. The CEO often talks about playing the long game but we don't stay focused on a strategy, there is no real roadmap (it changes every week) and the words "strategic planning" don't exist. The process and hoops you have to jump through to do the right thing and drive the business is numbing.
    - Speed wins is the company motto but the CEO and key executives do not embrace "speed wins" when it comes to the HR process, performance reviews, merit increases or bonus payouts. It is an archaic, bureaucratic, political -- and from what I have seen something of a capricious and arbitrary process that does not value the employees who have allowed TripAdvisor to thrive. Perhaps management only receives their compensation rewards and merit increases after the employee review process is completed and the employees have received theirs.
    - Promotions are difficult to achieve for talented employees as management can be opaque on promotions and the process for promotions.
    - Turnover is rampant across most areas but especially in marketing. The organization at large does not seem to understand or value marketing or publicity - other companies that do value marketing and PR such as Priceline, Expedia, Trivago and Google are eating our lunch in a space where we should be dominating across the board. There are some brilliant marketing and PR professionals at TA who have been hamstrung by an organization who naively thinks that consumer behavior can be changed if you put a home page pop up message telling the consumer what TripAdvisor thinks it should do.

Advice to Management

- Improve the performance review, promotions and merit review process so that employees don't feel as if they are a part of the Hunger Games "may the odds be ever in your favor" that you will get a productive review and merit increase on time.
    - Senior leadership - please leave your offices and spend time with your employees and if you are global, get out of Needham a couple of times a year and be present for the offices in London and Singapore.
    - Understand that you are not just in the product business, you are in the content and experience business and great content and needs real marketing to support the consumer behavior you want to change. Please value marketing as much as you value product and engineering. You have seen what happens when you do not value and/or invest in marketing and so have our competitors.
    - People don't leave great companies (which TripAdvisor should be given its great benefits package and its brand proposition), people leave poor management.

May 26, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your extensive review and for honoring one of TripAdvisor’s core values, transparency, by sharing your feedback. You are clearly someone who cares tremendously about our success, our ... More

"Okay company, good benefits, leadership misguided"

Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits
    Widely recognized brand
    Fair pay for industry
    401k matching
    Matching charity pay for charity of your choice

Cons

A lot of management is misguided, and not well-versed in modern mobile application design.

Oftentimes other teams or groups are skirting past user testing ideas before investing time and resources. Really inefficient and poor for building great product users want.

Old ways of doing things, hard to change culture or streamline processes.

Way too many meetings.

"Spec" process and constant back and forth on approvals takes entirely too long.

The "speed wins" mentality is antiquated and honestly I never felt like anyone I worked with believed in it. If it mattered, we wouldn't have had so many meetings or rounds of approvals.

It took weeks and weeks of calls, meetings, and a lot of ineffiencies to even ship ONE small feature.

Layers and layers of reporting structures.

I oftentimes found myself in meetings with people wondering why they were even there. 20+ invitees and four people are talking while everyone else buried in their laptops trying to get work done.

Some folks have been there too long and stuck in their ways. Clean house.

Some poor work life balance at times. Some peers were working 16 hour days during crunch time on projects that never materialized. Emails being sent over the weekend.

Raise and bonus structure was poor, and my reviews were very late.

Advice to Management

Downsize and streamline the teams.
    Get a VP or head of design and get better leadership in that area. Why are product designers reporting into marketing?
    Fix your meeting culture. Not everything needs a meeting. Go walk up to someone and talk for 5 minutes.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, happy and reliable coworkers. Your voice gets heard. Great benefits

Cons

kind of slow advancement. Sun in my eyes

Advice to Management

Darken the windows. The sun can be blinding if you sit near one.

May 12, 2017

Thanks for your great review and continued dedication to TripAdvisor. I agree that we have a smart and reliable team and great benefits! I encourage you to connect with your manager regarding ... More

"Getting worse in every aspect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lunch, gym are probably the only one

Cons

It could vary depending on your managers, but to many engineers it is getting worse and worse: tremendous pressures, extreme micromanagement, false urgency, endless design reviews, overtime working, impractical LOE, blaming for every imperfection. Bully and fearing are used to "manage". Engineers are not valued as much over years, which is why so many are leaving, and the products are turning less competitive.

Advice to Management

The working environment is rapidly becoming toxic. Rethink whether "speed wins". Value the backbones of the company, not the ones that "manage".

Jun 13, 2017

Thanks for your review. I appreciate your candid remarks, although this type of feedback is always tough to read. As you’re aware, the recent launch of our new site and app experience was an all ... More

"It was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, really smart and fun people to work with, individual and team bonuses, dogs.

Cons

Bad management gets rewarded, lower salaries because of perks

Advice to Management

Stop turning a blind eye to bad managers and getting rid of the good people who work their heart out for you.

"Don't be fooled by the Name"

Former Employee - CS Support in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - CS Support in Boston, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch during the week, snacks and drinks, benefits are good. That's pretty much it! That's pretty much it! I need to write 20 words so here you go!

Cons

I gave 3 stars only as I believe that there are good people working there, but if there was a rating for management I would give 2 stars and I'm being nice with 2 stars! Once I was hired I was pretty much just thrown into the wolfs Den and had to fend for myself! Very little guidance and training. No follow up on my progress just asked to perform many tasks and once completed no feedback or positive reinforcement. No thank you for the time put in just what can you do for me next. My manager was there. That's pretty much it just there! You are asked to think like an owner and work that way. That's all and good but how can you when you are not aware of much of the product or info on how to attack the area of weakness. If I were an owner of my own business I would know how to go about it because I know my product and I know the focus! Without having the proper information how can you! Poor management guidance and support and as I mentioned there are some good people working there but the majority act as if they are there for a paycheck and rather not get to know you and rather just do there work and get out! So you can have great benefits but the culture and management need to be there as well cause I rather have a great working relationship with my colleagues and good management if it meant having less benefits!

Advice to Management

Learn how to coach your employees! Hire experienced managers. Employees from other departments need to engage more with their fellow colleagues and get out of their clicks.

May 16, 2017

Thank you for your feedback although it’s disappointing to hear that you didn’t have a more positive experience here. We take it very seriously when employees choose to leave TripAdvisor, and we want ... More