TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing food and work life balance" (in 48 reviews)

• "There are lots of great perks that come with working in Needham, including travel and fitness benefits and free lunch" (in 90 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Analytics"

Current Employee - Analytics Consultant in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Analytics Consultant in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. You can see people focused on work and not chatting around. Good goal setting and 360 degree feedback. Amazing food and work life balance.

Cons

Travel is a challenging industry.

TripAdvisor Response

May 15, 2018 – TripAdvisor

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review and for your positive comments about our culture and benefits. As a longstanding TripAdvisor employee, you’ve seen our feedback process evolve over the... More

2. "In a word, amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compared to the previous company I worked for, this is like night and day. I feel like my team, organization, and broader TA as a whole all care about me as an employee and individual.

There are lots of great perks that come with working in Needham, including travel and fitness benefits and free lunch.

Cons

Because TA is not a fledgling company anymore it cannot move as nimbly as smaller companies.

3. "Sales/ Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people trying to make a living. Meet Celebrities, food, coffee.

Cons

2 sided environment- provides fun atmoshpere with games and food yet no time to truly experience this side of the business. Constantly working hard to make numbers that are constantly changing to secure bonus for family peace of mind. 2 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch that if you are late from receive point deduction. 10 points max per year. Point deductions includes being sick with stipulations and signings of paperwork that creates anxiety and restlessness between employee and management. Way too much micro management and not enough understanding into peoples lives outside of work. Understanding is shown by answers that minimize employees individuality in bad situations and talk of the employee that is perfect.

Advice to Management

Ease back.

"Ok, not Great"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Locations in Boston and Needham are great
    - Benefits are excellent
    - Team members for the most part are great to work with

Cons

- Compensation
    - Lack of transparency
    - Leadership makes decisions without truly thinking about how the customer will be impacted.
    - Spread too thin. Competitor companies all seem to have a focus on one area in the travel industry which they excel at.
    - TripAdvisor still seems to be struggling with shifting identies from a research/review based platform to a booking platform.
    - Bugs that are reported by clients can sit for weeks at a time with no fix and very slow communication updates. Speed doesn’t win here.

Advice to Management

Simply put, do a better job of putting people in spots where they feel valued and feel like they can communicate in an open and transparent forum.

"Things are deteriorating"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are smart
    Engineer cares about work and quality

Cons

Been with Tripadvisor since it was at Needham. It was a very positive experience the first couple of years, but since then, things have been deteriorating. It could be because of stock falling, from high above $100 down to $30 some at some point, Tripadvisor has become more tense and cautious. The motto the last few years have been 'cutting overhead'. That so-called 'overhead' leads to following effects: team downsized to half (many lefts but not many new fillings) but double up the works, snacks got cut down (even got rid of the paper cup on all of the upper floors), a handful of reorgs.
    When I started working at my current position, I realized the culture at Tripadvisor has not been better either. For one, Tripadvisor doesn't invest much in the employee. There weren't much of the training. For example, unless it's directly applied to the individual existing works, request for attending conference most likely will get turned down. Over the last 6 years, I haven't got to attend one single conference. Transparency at Trip hasn't been at it's best compared to other companies. For instance, employees have submitted questions but never get answered. At townhall, there is generally only a few minutes for addressing a few questions. But one thing that has gone the wrong way above all is the management. I've literally witnessed company letting the good employee go instead of working to keep them. If management wants you to go, they will make things difficult for you so you can quit yourself. If management thinks a team does not add value to their own agenda, they let the team slowly dying on its own instead. There are good management, so it depends on which you joined, but CoreX eng management is not one

Advice to Management

Employees should be your top asset, not your puzzle piece. Give team credits. There are value contributors besides start players. Be more transparent and respect the team.

6. "Great collab environment"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to collaborate between product and engineering teams

Cons

Since the company is so large, there is a lot of bureaucracy and not a lot of transparency re: who is working on what

Advice to Management

Upper management shouldn't be so scary to talk to - be a little more personable

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For now I still have good vacation time plan, sure it will change soon

Cons

Over worked to the point of health conquences
    Teams not being backfilled no matter how many leave
    Many benefits slowly going away
    Too many levels of management who don't understand what is happening or seem to care

Advice to Management

Just lay us off! What you are doing is just torture, I held back on this review as I still have some respect for this company

"The best place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thoughtful, smart coworkers
    Fast-paced but fun work atmosphere. Its exciting to work within the travel industry
    At Trip you are treated like an adult. No one is looking over your shoulder. You own your work and determine your success.
    Beautiful, top of the line office space. Gym onsite with spin, yoga and barre classes - all free!
    Free parking, free breakfast and lunch, endless free snacks, free cold brew!
    Dog-friendly and supportive of young working families
    401 K match/ awesome health, dental and vision/travel discounts and perks!

Cons

None that I can think of!!!!

Advice to Management

Thank you - I love it here!

9. "Great"

Pros

Cool company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes the commute was brutal.

10. "Data Scientist"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great Work Environment and Great Colleagues

Cons

Not many opportunities to work with clients outside Trip