TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Cons

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, happy and reliable coworkers. Your voice gets heard. Great benefits

Cons

kind of slow advancement. Sun in my eyes

Advice to Management

Darken the windows. The sun can be blinding if you sit near one.

May 12, 2017

Thanks for your great review and continued dedication to TripAdvisor. I agree that we have a smart and reliable team and great benefits! I encourage you to connect with your manager regarding ... More

"Come for the free lunch, leave when you see that Speed Does Not Always Win."

Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with most of the reviews here: fairly competitive compensation, robust benefits package, great HQ space for employees, a genuine passion by the employees for the brand, a strong corporate philanthropy program and there are some supremely talented individuals in the company that are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

- Global company that acts local and insular. Decisions are driven out of Needham with little strategic consideration for the international offices or the territories in which we have a presence. There are a few senior leaders who have "global" responsibilities in their title that rarely travel to offices outside of Needham.
    - There is so much pivoting that we are all dizzy from doing a 180 based on the latest change of direction. We are a global company in the digital space that has to be nimble and flexible for the marketplace, but there has to be some discipline in how we think about product and marketing or you start heading to the land of inertia. It is no wonder the company is struggling for the past few years. The CEO often talks about playing the long game but we don't stay focused on a strategy, there is no real roadmap (it changes every week) and the words "strategic planning" don't exist. The process and hoops you have to jump through to do the right thing and drive the business is numbing.
    - Speed wins is the company motto but the CEO and key executives do not embrace "speed wins" when it comes to the HR process, performance reviews, merit increases or bonus payouts. It is an archaic, bureaucratic, political -- and from what I have seen something of a capricious and arbitrary process that does not value the employees who have allowed TripAdvisor to thrive. Perhaps management only receives their compensation rewards and merit increases after the employee review process is completed and the employees have received theirs.
    - Promotions are difficult to achieve for talented employees as management can be opaque on promotions and the process for promotions.
    - Turnover is rampant across most areas but especially in marketing. The organization at large does not seem to understand or value marketing or publicity - other companies that do value marketing and PR such as Priceline, Expedia, Trivago and Google are eating our lunch in a space where we should be dominating across the board. There are some brilliant marketing and PR professionals at TA who have been hamstrung by an organization who naively thinks that consumer behavior can be changed if you put a home page pop up message telling the consumer what TripAdvisor thinks it should do.

Advice to Management

- Improve the performance review, promotions and merit review process so that employees don't feel as if they are a part of the Hunger Games "may the odds be ever in your favor" that you will get a productive review and merit increase on time.
    - Senior leadership - please leave your offices and spend time with your employees and if you are global, get out of Needham a couple of times a year and be present for the offices in London and Singapore.
    - Understand that you are not just in the product business, you are in the content and experience business and great content and needs real marketing to support the consumer behavior you want to change. Please value marketing as much as you value product and engineering. You have seen what happens when you do not value and/or invest in marketing and so have our competitors.
    - People don't leave great companies (which TripAdvisor should be given its great benefits package and its brand proposition), people leave poor management.

3. "A company that definitely worth working for"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has been rated as the best place to work for several consecutive years and indeed has a wonderful company culture.

Cons

Wish there could be more available the parking area and is located in a more downtown-feeling area. Needham is still dar away from Boston downtown.

Advice to Management

I don't really work there for very long so I don't have constructive advice towards the management yet. I might will update in couple years.

"good employer, but do not plan to grow your career"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good benefits scheme (healthcare, dental, company parties, well being allowance)
    - relatively low-stress environment
    - flexibility: most teams allow members to work from home/work remotely regularly (on average 1-2 days a week).

Cons

- career progression: if you work outside of the hotels category - difficult to progress or grow your careers. so, you should be happy with your current position and do not count on progressing as its very difficult to do.
    - great benefits for new fathers, full canteen.
    - many key decisions driven out of the US - so during times of uncertainty and significant company changes you will feel able to influence.

Advice to Management

- Find a way to keep and promote our best talent.

"Good role with upside"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Largest player in the industry, data-driven business model, and opportunity for growth in company as it rebounds

Cons

Periodic strategy pivots that have significant downstream impacts

"Great Pay and Benefits, Upward Mobility Rare"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits at TripAdvisor are stellar. Hard to beat.

Cons

The office culture isn't great. Not a lot of cross-team collaboration.

Advice to Management

Focus more on keeping good employees or you'll lose some really smart people.

"Best in Boston"

Current Employee - Staff Accounting in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Accounting in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, 6 kegs, game room, casual dress, great co-workers and hours (for the Finance Department)

Cons

Upward mobility can be limited within the department, especially as many co-workers are planning to stay for a long time. Tuition reimbursement is just $5000 per year.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good work/life balance, free food, free gym, beautiful office with snacks, free shuttle if you don't want to drive, and a laid back culture that rarely fires anyone.

Cons

Layers and layers of approval for the smallest decisions, with each layer contradicting the layer above it. Managers do not know how to manage - a lot of micro-management. The concept and practice of mentorship do not exist because managers have never been exposed to that themselves. This is not a place to stretch your wings or learn to be the best-in-class, this is a place to relax, especially if you have children. It's perfect for the right person with not a lot of ambition.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Start letting your employees do their job instead of micro-managing them. And if they consistently do a bad job, just fire them.

Feb 6, 2017 – SVP, Product

Thanks for your candid feedback. We are very proud of the benefits, office experience and work life balance that TripAdvisor provides and I’m pleased to see your positive remarks about all of these ... More

"Best places to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bright friendly helpful people. You will always be challenged to do your best work here and the facilities are second to none. Green workplaces and social awareness thru the company's charitable foundation set the tone. The focus is not simply vacations but travel in a broad sense.

Cons

Terrible location to commute to by car but there are shuttles to public transportation. Long hours in some groups. Bonus is dependent on being there on the payout date. Stock comp is limited to restricted stock for positions below director level..

Advice to Management

Open workstations are very distracting and must reduce productivity. Particularly in finance area.

Jan 4, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback. I couldn’t agree more with your comments about the friendly team, challenging environment and incredible office space that TripAdvisor provides. And as you allude to in the ... More

"I like working here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA

Pros

Solid work/life balance
    High pay and good benefits.

Cons

Often boring work
    Hard to get promoted

Advice to Management

Focus on something specific instead of changing gears every quarter.