TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Cons

"Come for the free lunch, leave when you see that Speed Does Not Always Win."

Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with most of the reviews here: fairly competitive compensation, robust benefits package, great HQ space for employees, a genuine passion by the employees for the brand, a strong corporate philanthropy program and there are some supremely talented individuals in the company that are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

- Global company that acts local and insular. Decisions are driven out of Needham with little strategic consideration for the international offices or the territories in which we have a presence. There are a few senior leaders who have "global" responsibilities in their title that rarely travel to offices outside of Needham.
    - There is so much pivoting that we are all dizzy from doing a 180 based on the latest change of direction. We are a global company in the digital space that has to be nimble and flexible for the marketplace, but there has to be some discipline in how we think about product and marketing or you start heading to the land of inertia. It is no wonder the company is struggling for the past few years. The CEO often talks about playing the long game but we don't stay focused on a strategy, there is no real roadmap (it changes every week) and the words "strategic planning" don't exist. The process and hoops you have to jump through to do the right thing and drive the business is numbing.
    - Speed wins is the company motto but the CEO and key executives do not embrace "speed wins" when it comes to the HR process, performance reviews, merit increases or bonus payouts. It is an archaic, bureaucratic, political -- and from what I have seen something of a capricious and arbitrary process that does not value the employees who have allowed TripAdvisor to thrive. Perhaps management only receives their compensation rewards and merit increases after the employee review process is completed and the employees have received theirs.
    - Promotions are difficult to achieve for talented employees as management can be opaque on promotions and the process for promotions.
    - Turnover is rampant across most areas but especially in marketing. The organization at large does not seem to understand or value marketing or publicity - other companies that do value marketing and PR such as Priceline, Expedia, Trivago and Google are eating our lunch in a space where we should be dominating across the board. There are some brilliant marketing and PR professionals at TA who have been hamstrung by an organization who naively thinks that consumer behavior can be changed if you put a home page pop up message telling the consumer what TripAdvisor thinks it should do.

Advice to Management

- Improve the performance review, promotions and merit review process so that employees don't feel as if they are a part of the Hunger Games "may the odds be ever in your favor" that you will get a productive review and merit increase on time.
    - Senior leadership - please leave your offices and spend time with your employees and if you are global, get out of Needham a couple of times a year and be present for the offices in London and Singapore.
    - Understand that you are not just in the product business, you are in the content and experience business and great content and needs real marketing to support the consumer behavior you want to change. Please value marketing as much as you value product and engineering. You have seen what happens when you do not value and/or invest in marketing and so have our competitors.
    - People don't leave great companies (which TripAdvisor should be given its great benefits package and its brand proposition), people leave poor management.

May 26, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your extensive review and for honoring one of TripAdvisor’s core values, transparency, by sharing your feedback. You are clearly someone who cares tremendously about our success, our ... More

"Okay company, good benefits, leadership misguided"

Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits
    Widely recognized brand
    Fair pay for industry
    401k matching
    Matching charity pay for charity of your choice

Cons

A lot of management is misguided, and not well-versed in modern mobile application design.

Oftentimes other teams or groups are skirting past user testing ideas before investing time and resources. Really inefficient and poor for building great product users want.

Old ways of doing things, hard to change culture or streamline processes.

Way too many meetings.

"Spec" process and constant back and forth on approvals takes entirely too long.

The "speed wins" mentality is antiquated and honestly I never felt like anyone I worked with believed in it. If it mattered, we wouldn't have had so many meetings or rounds of approvals.

It took weeks and weeks of calls, meetings, and a lot of ineffiencies to even ship ONE small feature.

Layers and layers of reporting structures.

I oftentimes found myself in meetings with people wondering why they were even there. 20+ invitees and four people are talking while everyone else buried in their laptops trying to get work done.

Some folks have been there too long and stuck in their ways. Clean house.

Some poor work life balance at times. Some peers were working 16 hour days during crunch time on projects that never materialized. Emails being sent over the weekend.

Raise and bonus structure was poor, and my reviews were very late.

Advice to Management

Downsize and streamline the teams.
    Get a VP or head of design and get better leadership in that area. Why are product designers reporting into marketing?
    Fix your meeting culture. Not everything needs a meeting. Go walk up to someone and talk for 5 minutes.

"Time to go beyond the perks"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just like others have written, the free food, snacks everywhere, fun events like Halloween party, great gym and amazing office space. So basically...the perks
    The feeling that you are working at a "cool place"

Cons

Senior Management seems out of touch with the majority of the staff.
    The motto of "Speed Wins" is spoken about all topics, all projects, but not all projects are the same and "Speed Wins" does not always make sense
    The constant feeling of stress due to unrealistic timelines.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and start asking some really hard questions.
    What has changed? What can we do to stop good people from leaving?
    Acknowledge that not all things need to be done fast "Speed Wins" is not always the answer.

Apr 3, 2017 – SVP, Product

I appreciate the feedback and I hope that you were able to share your thoughts with your manager or HRBP before you left TripAdvisor. I agree that different projects can require different approaches ... More

"really depends who your manager is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, good salary, can be good if you luck out and get a decent manager who is supportive and encouraging

Cons

poor work/life balance, long hours, little support from managers, no advancement opportunity, very little chance to learn

Advice to Management

encourage your employees who want to learn more instead of driving them away with unattainable goals

"Great Little Perks, Big Need For Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks (free lunch, after work activities)
    Fast paced

Cons

Management Needs Training. The constant need to "manage up".
    If you're not in Product, you are second class.

Advice to Management

Train Managers

Apr 6, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your comments and I’m pleased to see that you’re enjoying the pace and benefits that we provide here. We agree that there is a need to offer more management training and management ... More

"Good first job, but don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Directly building something people use is great

Cons

No career growth, I was in the same role 3 years after I was hired. "Speed wins" is used to justify sloppy work and never addressing the mountain of technical debt. New technologies, even those proven elsewhere in the industry, are resisted.

Advice to Management

Stop being such a beurocratic, process-driven company. Your best people aren't seeing the recognition (title and salary) and are leaving.

Jan 27, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you felt this was a great first work experience and you enjoyed working on our product. As with any successful company we have accumulated technical ... More

"What is happening?"

Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free lunch and very nice office; used to be very smart people to work amongst as well

Cons

Judging by the flood of goodbye emails with tinges of anger, frustrating and disappointment it looks like a lot of us are starting to become disillusioned. What used to be a big company with small-company mindset of getting things done without red tape is now a corporate "not-it" culture with committees formed to discuss the upcoming subcommittee's committees over the course of unhelpful and contentious meetings where nothing gets accomplished.
    Decisions are often made politically rather than what makes sense - something that's evolved here recently - and half-baked products are launched and iterated after the fact (if there are any engineers that haven't (speed wins!) moved on to a new project already) at the expense of customer experience. Engineers and experienced staff are leaving in droves and being replaced by the new influx of future management here - SALES. It seems that making money has finally replaced the need for solid development teams to maintain quality products and features.
    It's a real disappointment - and people aren't nice to you here either. Good luck!

Advice to Management

wake up. there are too many middle managers causing a bottleneck to things actually getting done here. and they are motivated by politics rather than the best intentions of the customers or the teams they support. the grasp the ceo and close management team once had on the operations here is now tenuous at best.

"Do your homework!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This review is for the Boston office which also has reviews under FlipKey. If you are interviewing at the Boston office make sure you are looking at those reviews!

- snacks in the office
    - catered lunch twice a week
    - good location in Boston
    - coworkers are friendly
    - work is easy if you want a 9-5:30

Cons

- work is boring
    - most people do tactical stuff all day and there is no strategy involved, doesn't matter what level you are
    - career pathing is nonexistent
    - undeserved promotions go to those who are management favorites
    - many coworkers are just here until something better comes along so you never know when your team will lose more people
    - it's so quiet in the office that you will want to jump out the windows every day
    - TripAdvisor doesn't seem to care about the vacation rentals part of the business at all. It's rarely mentioned in the quarterly updates and we are on our own island.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the number of people leaving the company or at least pretend you care when someone asks about it in a team meeting. It's not normal to lose 50% of your team within one year. This is not "growing pains" from TripAdvisor buying FlipKey.

"Does not meet expectations"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pay okay, smart new office in Needham.

Cons

Don't be fooled by TripAdvisor, managers will make false promises regarding your career development.
    New employees who joined in the past 2 years are being paid far more than their colleagues who have been here longer.
    The best way to get a pay rise at TripAdvisor is to leave and then come back within 12 months and negotiate a higher salary and a sign-on bonus.
    Key executive roles take 12+ months to hire
    You get $10,000 if your referral is hired, but little bonus if you work hard
    Working from home is only allowed if you're friends with your boss

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee, employees are unhappy and you don't seem to care.

"A New HQ and Perks Only Go So Far"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch, snack walls, gym, beautiful new HQ and amazing coworkers. I enjoyed some of my time here and made some great connections, friends and resume content for my new career.

Cons

Low pay, no recognition for those that go above and beyond, high turnover and a company that tries to be better than Google and cater to engineers. Work/life balance is a joke and working from home is frowned upon in most instances. Manage micromanages and senior management is untouchable and out of touch with how their employees view their workplace. Told to write positive reviews for Glassdoor when it goes against their own review policy for the site. Their is very little opportunity for career growth and TA would rather hire externally than give their own employees a chance to grow.

Advice to Management

Stop looking to hire externally and grow great individuals internally. Try less to try to be Google and stop taking yourselves so seriously. Give your employees a better salary and stop trying to "buy" everyone with free lunch and iced coffee on tap. Do an internal sweep on those people who are not pulling their weight and promote employees who work hard and deserve more. Stop making it so obvious that you only have a new HQ and amazing perks to get engineers from blue chip school that Google would snatch up.