TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Cons

"Join only if you work for Hotels segment."

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in New York, NY

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Benefits, free food, insurance.
    - Friendly co workers and good work life balance

Cons

- Moving across the company is hard as most of the openings are for passive roles not active ones.
    - The company doesn't invest in employees learning as the CEO has speed wins motive.

Advice to Management

You don't hire smart people to tell what to do, you should hire smart people so that they can tell you what to do. Management needs to improvise on listening as the communication is only one way.

"A down to earth work experience"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was an intense place to work but I liked the people a lot and felt like everyone was very real and down to earth

Cons

When I was there, HR and Recruiting were not organized and there was a lack of leadership in both areas that was causing problems.

Advice to Management

Continue being honest and straightforward. Be open to different types of people who can contribute to the company.

Jan 4, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your comments. I agree that this is an environment where people work hard, but are generally nice and really down to earth; I see this every day. I am glad you had the same experience ... More

"I like working here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA

Pros

Solid work/life balance
    High pay and good benefits.

Cons

Often boring work
    Hard to get promoted

Advice to Management

Focus on something specific instead of changing gears every quarter.

"Great Place to Work with One Caveat"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company to work for. Benefits are way above average, vacation time is standard, sick time is very generous, the office in Needham is comfortable, free lunch is nice, lots of garage parking, they have a great system if you have questions/need help with office matters. The recruiting process for Needham positions is way above average - fantastic recruiters and good, honest, timely feedback.

Cons

Listen to your gut. If you think the manager for the department you are being hired for might not be the manager for you, do yourself a favor and don't take the job. All the perks in the world aren't worth being miserable every day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Trip is a fantastic company!

Oct 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your comments. I’m so glad to see that you had a positive experience with our recruiting team and enjoyed the office and benefits. You are absolutely correct that having an effective ... More

"growing organization with a great culture but weak vision"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quality, talented people. Well resourced. High visibility at all levels of the organization. Flexible organizational structure to evolves to meet opportunities. High growth creates many opportunities.

Cons

Culture favors iteration over necessary step changes. Management sometimes treats success metrics as a vision and doesn't defend the user experience. Few women at senior positions and implicit biases often surface. Weakness in the director ranks create churn.

Advice to Management

Set more of a vision and guidelines to unify the organization. Reflect on why women are not 50/50 in the product organization despite junior ranks weighing heavily towards more women.

"you can work here and keep your hobbies."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hour weeks, good pay, free food, free stuff in general, did I mention 40 hour weeks? And let's be realistic: 35 hour weeks are what's actually happening.

Cons

Management can be pretty curmudgeonly in the face of new stuff, plus there's a def preference for older people in more senior roles. I get that soft skills (management, etc) do develop with age, so the same young employees doing outstanding technical work may not be fit to advance into the existing (more management oriented) roles. That just means they need to figure out ways to use these people, because as it stands they leave.

8. "New Office - Lots of Perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

In June of 2015 TripAdvisor opened it's doors to a new global HQ right off of 128 in Needham. The perks include, free Lunch 5 days a week, onsite "pub" with beers on tap and wine refrigerator, great collaborative atmosphere, lots of places to meet in non-conference room settings, on-site gym (with classes and virtual classes) and free parking. Fast paced work environment with a "Speed wins" attitude.

Cons

Some teams are banned from working remotely or working from home.

Advice to Management

Not all employees work within a 10 mile radius of the new HQ. Allowing employees to work from home on a needed basis will support a healthy work/life balance and make employees feel trusted and supported.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very proud of the environment and benefits at our HQ and all of our global offices. I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying our new HQ, and are seeing firsthand how ... More

"Great Company, Great People, Starting to lack direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and people at TripAdvisor are amazing. Like nothing I have ever seen before in my life and will probably never see again in the future. Folks love to hang out together over a beer in the pub after work, or in the amazing cafe during lunch (free lunch). The work is generally challenging and rewarding as well.

Cons

Many product/engineering en-devours are only completed 75%-85% because the resources are strained which then creates problems for the end user and internal stakeholders. There also is not a clear path to the next level for ambitious individuals. When I leave, it will be because I don't see a path here and another company has a plan for me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the speed wins. Its not working anymore. Or at least follow up on projects to make sure they're actually complete and hold people accountable for bugs and enhancements. Also, its a little insane that the CEO still approves every new/backfill position and every promotion/raise. There are 3k people in this company. Its time to stop acting like a startup when it comes to some things.

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor is a great company and the culture is really nice. There are lots of great perks from free food, to insurance, and money to spend on fitness.

Cons

People get promoted easily up the organization because they are smart and ambitious. However, these people have no people managing skills whatsoever.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn new skills and move around the organization if you're motivated. Very good on work-life balance if you're on the right team.

Cons

Sr Management isn't decisive enough-- they let things like reorgs and responsibility changes fester for a long time before making them official-- long enough so that everyone knows something is coming, but doesn't know what.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting team against team and creating siloes. Let the teams work together to achieve the best outcomes for the company.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your comments, and I’m glad to see that you're enjoying the career mobility and work-life balance that TripAdvisor offers. The senior management team agrees that teams working together ... More