TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "A GREAT place to work!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Newton, MA

Pros

TripAdvisor is filled with incredibly smart people who are passionate about making travel planning a better experience. The caliber of people is not just exceptional, but we've got a "no assholes" policy - havig the skills to do the job is not enough - we have to feel we'd like to work with someone too.

The culture is fast-paced and embraces risk-taking to the point that if we don't have some major failures each year, senior management says we're not pushing hard enough or teying enough new things. It's not just lip service - I've observed people who led high profile projects that didn't pan out have successful careers here so long as the thinking behind the project and the execution were good.

And who wouldn't want to spend all day thinking about travel? And user generated content and social networking - we're focused on some very fun areas, yet deadly serious about our success, which is strong.

Consumers LOVE TripAdvisor, which makes is really rewarding to put int he effort that we do. How many companies can say that?

Cons

Can be all consuming if you let it.

Not the place to go if you don't want your thinking challenged every day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - you're inspiring!

2. "TripAdvisor- not your average web company. We go fast."

Current Employee - Marketing in Newton, MA

Pros

You get a lot of things done. Get to see impact quickly. TripAdvisor is full of smart, nice people who are very focused.

Cons

Organization is growing quickly and with that come some growing pains around communication and projects.

Advice to Management

Debate more and come to a conclusion- some issues feel unresolved amongst senior management team. Celebrate successes.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

Pros

The ability to be innovative, experiment and try new things, and not being afraid to fail every now and again.

Cons

Not able to bring in new people fast enough to do everything that we want to do as quickly as we would like.

Advice to Management

It's a great atmosphere, with intelligent and talented individuals.

"If you get an offer - accept!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

Great team, extremely bright people, opportunity to have your ideas heard and implemented, nice perks, owl looks great on t-shirts, people LOVE the website you help create, hoteliers fear you :-).

Cons

Extremely driven group - which is cool, but demanding.

Advice to Management

I think company morale could be improved by handing out new iPhones :-).

"Great place to work. Feels like a startup, but stability of a very successful company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

TripAdvisor provides a fast paced environment where individuals can make a difference. I love it here, and it seems like most others do as well. Risk taking is encouraged, and it is okay to try something big and fail. The company embraces change. The company also just wants to get a lot done, even if it means every feature isn't perfect to begin with.

Cons

You have to be comfortable with change, and not a perfectionist. If you really care about how every pixel is layed out on the web site, or want the time to do a 100% job every time... this isn't the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep your hiring standards rigiorous as we grow.

6. "The place you've always wanted to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Pros

The people! The constant interaction with employees who are not only knowledgeable but willing to challenge you to learn more is exciting. The "speed wins" attitude is clearly visible and implemented within the culture, one which allows for mistakes and truly views them as learning opportunities. The flexibility to manager personal appointments, time off, and working home is extremely helpful and worth more than any dollar amount.

Cons

The fast growth rate has made inter-department communication suffer in that you are not as aware of what other teams are working on or have in the pipeline.

Advice to Management

Continue to open dialogues and feedback process - while it is somewhat intimidating at first, it ultimately helps the company maintain its strong presence and growth rate.

"TripAdvisor - as much fun as it is work."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

Pros

TripAdvisor's first goal in hiring is to hire the person that fits best, so everyone you are working with is great at what they do, and everyone gets along. Catered lunches 3 times a week, a game room with foosball, xbox, rockband, and wii make for a fun environment. Drinks, snacks, and comfortable open collaboration areas make for a relaxing environment. Put that together with relaxed approach to schedules and you have a stress free work environment. TripAdvisor maintains its nimbleness regardless of how many employees so there is always something new. It is a job you will want to come back to everyday.

Cons

The motto is "speed wins", which means something new every week, even every day. While that makes the job interesting, it also makes it a little confusing and hard to keep the various projects you're working on straight. The company has been growing rapidly, despite waiting for the "perfect candidate" for each position and not rushing the hiring. As such, they suffer a bit from the unavoidable growing pains, as any company would. In some respects things still feel like a small company, but those clash with some of the unavoidable aspects of a large company. Everyone is devoted to easing this as much as possible, but it just takes time.

Advice to Management

With a rapidly growing company it is hard to keep everyone aware of changes and who's responsible for what, but it is crucial for things to run smoothly. As more people join the team it is easy to try and move faster, but until some positions are filled it is easy for people (especially management) to be overloaded. Everyone needs to remember to push back sometimes and slow things down when things start to move too fast.

8. "A truly unique place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

After working for, and starting, a number of companies, big and small, I can say without reservation that it is a privilege to work with people who have created an extraordinarily successful company that is always fast, fun, challenging, and is both personally and professionally rewarding.

Cons

Have to truly love working in the consumer web space.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. "Love Working At TripAdvisor!"

Current Employee - CPM Advertising in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - CPM Advertising in Newton, MA

Pros

Working at TA is great because of the flexibility they provide for a work/life balance, as well as all the perks. TA offers a great benefits package, including healthplan options, 401K, plenty of vacation time, free lunch, coffee and snacks, and awesome travel benefits. TA is a very social company too. We have company outings, Friday afternoon happy hours, a softball team, and other misc social events. I also enjoy working at TA because of the people I work with. My coworkers are smart, creative and excited to be there and that motivates me.

Cons

A personal downside for me is the size of the company. I enjoy working for smaller companies, and TA is quite large and keeps growing. But I guess that's a great problem to have!

Advice to Management

I would just tell Senior Management to make sure they are staying in touch with what is going on in their departments on a day to day level. The little things often get overlooked by senior management.

10. "Love it at TripAdvisor!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

First and foremost, the best reason to work at TripAdvisor is the great people here. People work hard and take their jobs and careers very seriously, but also make time to have a lot of fun together. The intersection of travel and web 2.0 is an exciting business to be in. The company's fast growth (organic growth in the U.S. and internationally, plus recent acquistions of several other travel media companies) provides good opportunities for career growth. TripAdvisor works hard to maintain its entrepeneruial "start-up" feel in the way people work, but it has the size and profitibility to offer very competitive compensation and benefits. There is a good feeling of job stability and probably further growth even in the currently difficult economic enviroment.

Cons

Some "growing pains" as the company has doubled in size each of the last several years. What used to be a great feeling of knowing everyone in the company no longer exists.

Advice to Management

It is important to keep up and even increase more proactive communication with employees as the company grows - more employees, more geographies, more lines of business.