TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Cons

1. "Bonne culture d;entreprise, peu d'evolution"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Jeune équipe, bonne culture d'entreprise, bonne ambiance, les choses avancent vite et on apprend tous les jours

Cons

Peu de possibilité de progression, peu de formations complémentaires, croissance personnel limitée

Advice to Management

Avoir des evaluations tous le trimestres.

2. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Nice office. Classic benefits package and a few perks (could be better when you see what other big internet companies offer)

Cons

Inefficient processes typical of a big US group

Advice to Management

streamline all those tool s& processes

"Come for the free lunch, leave when you see that Speed Does Not Always Win."

Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with most of the reviews here: fairly competitive compensation, robust benefits package, great HQ space for employees, a genuine passion by the employees for the brand, a strong corporate philanthropy program and there are some supremely talented individuals in the company that are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

- Global company that acts local and insular. Decisions are driven out of Needham with little strategic consideration for the international offices or the territories in which we have a presence. There are a few senior leaders who have "global" responsibilities in their title that rarely travel to offices outside of Needham.
    - There is so much pivoting that we are all dizzy from doing a 180 based on the latest change of direction. We are a global company in the digital space that has to be nimble and flexible for the marketplace, but there has to be some discipline in how we think about product and marketing or you start heading to the land of inertia. It is no wonder the company is struggling for the past few years. The CEO often talks about playing the long game but we don't stay focused on a strategy, there is no real roadmap (it changes every week) and the words "strategic planning" don't exist. The process and hoops you have to jump through to do the right thing and drive the business is numbing.
    - Speed wins is the company motto but the CEO and key executives do not embrace "speed wins" when it comes to the HR process, performance reviews, merit increases or bonus payouts. It is an archaic, bureaucratic, political -- and from what I have seen something of a capricious and arbitrary process that does not value the employees who have allowed TripAdvisor to thrive. Perhaps management only receives their compensation rewards and merit increases after the employee review process is completed and the employees have received theirs.
    - Promotions are difficult to achieve for talented employees as management can be opaque on promotions and the process for promotions.
    - Turnover is rampant across most areas but especially in marketing. The organization at large does not seem to understand or value marketing or publicity - other companies that do value marketing and PR such as Priceline, Expedia, Trivago and Google are eating our lunch in a space where we should be dominating across the board. There are some brilliant marketing and PR professionals at TA who have been hamstrung by an organization who naively thinks that consumer behavior can be changed if you put a home page pop up message telling the consumer what TripAdvisor thinks it should do.

Advice to Management

- Improve the performance review, promotions and merit review process so that employees don't feel as if they are a part of the Hunger Games "may the odds be ever in your favor" that you will get a productive review and merit increase on time.
    - Senior leadership - please leave your offices and spend time with your employees and if you are global, get out of Needham a couple of times a year and be present for the offices in London and Singapore.
    - Understand that you are not just in the product business, you are in the content and experience business and great content and needs real marketing to support the consumer behavior you want to change. Please value marketing as much as you value product and engineering. You have seen what happens when you do not value and/or invest in marketing and so have our competitors.
    - People don't leave great companies (which TripAdvisor should be given its great benefits package and its brand proposition), people leave poor management.

May 26, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your extensive review and for honoring one of TripAdvisor’s core values, transparency, by sharing your feedback. You are clearly someone who cares tremendously about our success, our ... More

"One of the best places to work in Ottawa"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor has great profit sharing, great compensations in respect to the Ottawa market, and cool benefits like catered lunches and reembursal programs for transit. The office environment is medium sized, about 30 engineers and sports an open format, so you really get to know everyone. People are friendly and willing to help and generally, there isn't much people stepping on top of others, at least in engineering.

Cons

High expectations, sometimes stressful because release is weekly. Since this office is a virtual office, communicating with HQ and always being in the loop is a challenge. Things move very quickly at TripAdvisor.

Advice to Management

Decentralize the work so that communication does not pose as barrier. Would be nice to match some of the benefits that HQ gets, ie. gym, full weekly catering, and parking passes.

May 23, 2017

Thanks for your review. I appreciate that you touched on many of the things that make TripAdvisor a great place to work- unique benefits, an open office environment, and friendly and helpful ... More

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, happy and reliable coworkers. Your voice gets heard. Great benefits

Cons

kind of slow advancement. Sun in my eyes

Advice to Management

Darken the windows. The sun can be blinding if you sit near one.

May 12, 2017

Thanks for your great review and continued dedication to TripAdvisor. I agree that we have a smart and reliable team and great benefits! I encourage you to connect with your manager regarding ... More

"Terrible company to work for - nothing like it used to be"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare, dental care, Oyster travel card loan.

Cons

When I started with the company two years ago the future looked great and business showed a huge amount of promise. I was incredibly excited to work for TripAdvisor and had so much enthusiasm I was ready to burst. Now, myself and the majority of the London office are completely demoralised, with no motivation or drive to succeed. With no appreciation shown from upper management and all opportunities given to staff based in the Needham head office, it's little wonder so many people here are quitting.

Benefits such as snacks and drinks have been dramatically cut back, travel is being decreased across the board and everyone you speak to is looking for another job.

I would urge those thinking of applying for a London based role to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Saying you treat every office equally and then doing the opposite is driving your staff away.

May 11, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review, although it’s tough to read this type of feedback. As you’re aware, the London office has been undergoing a large renovation project, which has ... More

8. "Extraordinary"

Current Employee - Local Marketing
    Current Employee - Local Marketing

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very good company with a lot of benefits and a lot of great people

Cons

Lack opportunities in Brazil, which means that I cannot change areas or try to do something really new in my career. Which is bad from my POV to the professional development.

"Downhill spiral with no sign of improving"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OK benefits, nice people, location of the office is the best out of the portfolio.

Cons

Recently there has been a focus on cost cutting, which seems to only apply to offices outside of the HQ. The company has created some values to work by but these are mostly lip service and the upper management have done little regarding them since their inception. If you are outside of the US the workload is ridiculous as staffing levels are so low in the European and Asian offices, however, the same work output is expected, for example a US equivalent team could have three times more personnel than that of the European or Asian department.
    Moral is at an all time low across the board. this really isn't the company it used to be. My advice is to keep looking. TripAdvisor is just a but bla

Advice to Management

Think about the staff, they are the ones doing the work. Think about value of benefits and perks and how far they can go to make staff feel appreciated. Allow staff to own their role rather than interfering in how they carry out their duties. Finally there is a whole world outside of the States recognise this and stop trying to run the word from there.

May 11, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We’re always looking to improve and very much appreciate your feedback. As is true with any global company, having employees ... More

"Growing pains - bad behaviors emerge"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO, Steve, is a really good guy and sets a tone of decency and hard work. New building and lunch, gym etc all help with convenience of a work day. Work (finance) is very interesting and challenging.

Cons

With some of the recent growth challenges the worst of politics at VP levels is emerging. Management is in severe CYA mode. Bad attitudes of "me me me", lack of respect and direction is prevalent. Start-up mentality of focus on the job at hand is fast asleep.

Advice to Management

Eradicate political BS as innovation will not be possible. Inspire your people vs motivate thru punishment/reward. Good luck!

Apr 8, 2017 – cfo

Thank you for your review although this type of feedback is always tough to read. We have worked hard to build a culture of strong teamwork, and collaboration that aligns with our “better together ... More

11. "Fraud Analyst"

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work under pressure and learn new techniques about fraud

Cons

You have to be quick and pay a lot fo attention to details