TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Cons

1. "Ugly state of affairs"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Some of the entry-level folks are talented, but unfortunately, decent people are leaving in droves because this place is becoming too toxic to save itself.

The CEO is openly taking a stance on the refugees' crisis.

Cons

Some of the Director and VP level folks at TripAdvisor are some of the most insecure and self-unaware people I've ever met in my life -textbook versions of TERRIBLE managers behavior. Not only are they emotionally unstable and manipulative they also don't actually have the brains to make up for their utter lack of basic empathy. I don't know how they got to where they are, but it's a disgrace and THE reason why so many are getting fed up and getting the hell out.

To see their bad behaviors (I'd categorize some as borderline abuse) getting repeatedly rewarded by the SVPs and the CEO of TripAdvisor speaks volumes to the management's ability to tell right from wrong. From my vantage point, it's a bunch of white men swinging their egos aimlessly and pretending they know what they're doing.

Decent people with talent are leaving TripAdvisor because they don't have to live through this when they could find opportunities elsewhere, and I bet you plenty more are frantically interviewing.

Oh, and the MBA Rotational Program is a total sham - people are being assigned to non-product related roles and to unwanted groups where they need people, but nobody wants to work there.

Advice to Management

Institute anonymous upward reviews - and act upon them. If you notice an entire team where people can't wait to get the hell away, there's probably a reason why.

"Getting worse in every aspect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lunch, gym are probably the only one

Cons

It could vary depending on your managers, but to many engineers it is getting worse and worse: tremendous pressures, extreme micromanagement, false urgency, endless design reviews, overtime working, impractical LOE, blaming for every imperfection. Bully and fearing are used to "manage". Engineers are not valued as much over years, which is why so many are leaving, and the products are turning less competitive.

Advice to Management

The working environment is rapidly becoming toxic. Rethink whether "speed wins". Value the backbones of the company, not the ones that "manage".

Jun 13, 2017

Thanks for your review. I appreciate your candid remarks, although this type of feedback is always tough to read. As you’re aware, the recent launch of our new site and app experience was an all ... More

"Terrible company to work for - nothing like it used to be"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare, dental care, Oyster travel card loan.

Cons

When I started with the company two years ago the future looked great and business showed a huge amount of promise. I was incredibly excited to work for TripAdvisor and had so much enthusiasm I was ready to burst. Now, myself and the majority of the London office are completely demoralised, with no motivation or drive to succeed. With no appreciation shown from upper management and all opportunities given to staff based in the Needham head office, it's little wonder so many people here are quitting.

Benefits such as snacks and drinks have been dramatically cut back, travel is being decreased across the board and everyone you speak to is looking for another job.

I would urge those thinking of applying for a London based role to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Saying you treat every office equally and then doing the opposite is driving your staff away.

May 11, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review, although it’s tough to read this type of feedback. As you’re aware, the London office has been undergoing a large renovation project, which has ... More

"Viator finance"

Current Employee - Viator Finance in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Viator Finance in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and lunches with great health benifits but all this is not worth it.

Cons

Poor management, manager treated employees like children, controlling of what we do, not allow to pick up person calls or make personal calls. Need to get permisson to attend meetings. Micro mangement. Working overtime with crazy hours, no overtime pays, no time in lieu. Stressful enviroment and management dont care what you have to say...its their way or the high way. They work you like a slave.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for all your lower employees and listen to what they have to say.

"A ship that has been lost at sea in recent years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee welfare & that's just about it

Cons

This used to be THE COMPANY to work for but no longer. When I first joined, I told myself "This will be the last company I want to work for till I retire." So what went wrong? Almost everything! Wrong senior management hires, bought over companies that show little potential & my department has not been given a direction since 2 years ago! The list can go on but in a nutshell..... they have lost it. It is only a matter of time till the competitors catch up.

Advice to Management

You once had the creme de la creme in human capital. It has gone downhill in recent years & you know it. Whilst my review is negative, there is a part of me that still wants to see an ex company doing well but sadly, looking at things the way they are, it's not going to happen.

"Really terrible place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor (More than a year)

Pros

you get paid, that's it. Cannot think of anything good about the team. I am not talking about the company i am talking about teams.

Cons

The so called new hire team rotation does not exist at all! When they hire they give such option. However once you are placed in a team, you are dead.

People:
    In the whole year we have only one team lunch(no outing at all), all my manager knows is to stand behind people and asking how's it going. Those nerds in my team never know how to have a life. All they talk about is go home and watch cartoon. and they are pool on communucation with others, all cynic.
    When I ask how to find sth or can you give me a demo, they would say go google.

Technology:

They never know how old their technology is . Java for websites, not willing to use new stuffs. You cannot find spark/ nosql/ redis/ docker/ whatever is industrial standard now.

They use SOAP, HTML, Spring, all kinds of dead limbo stuffs.

Managers generally come for 3 years then leave. No one cars about long term profit.

Stocks:

Company miss market for 3 times now it is only $50, the revenue is even lower than 2014. I cannot think of any future.

Promotion:

Great people leaves. My best body at the team not at google and I am at another big company. When we reunion and talked, we both agree that manager does not know how to promote right people. Salary raise cannot even counter inflation. People's title does not even change after 3 years.

Energy:

I can only see people in their 40s in manaqer position, which makes the whole company not enegertic at all.

Advice to Management

Think about how to pick proper managers

Dec 1, 2016 – VP, Engineering, Vacation Rentals

Thank you for your comments and we apologize that you found your experience here so disappointing. Unfortunately, this is a difficult forum to understand and discuss all of the details. We ... More

"The worst employer imagineable"

Pros

Fellow employees who make an otherwise miserable work environment somewhat tolerable, day to day. Compensation and health care.

Cons

Where to start... The management is completely inept. I believe this is born from a CEO, who maintains a close proximity to every decision, idea and process in the company, no matter how small. Rather than hire experts in their field and empower them to make decisions, micro-management is key here. Managers are simply tasked with carrying out the wishes of upper management and in particular those of Stephen Kaufer, creating top-down governance. The company lacks creative vision and innovation and doesn't value ideas or improvement of existing processes. The company has a start-up environment only in the sense that there is absolutely no organisation or stream-lined processes whatsoever and no attempt to evolve. At it's best it is a text book example of what not to do, at it's worst I witnessed unethical sales behaviour encouraged by management, management attempting to evade compensating sales people in accordance with their own policies and a company which values short-sighted gains over employee morale and building a business for the future.

Advice to Management

Hire great managers, give them responsibility, empower them to drive successful teams and achieve. Reward and value innovation from all employees. Value people, and offer progression and development to employees who achieve and are successful. Be transparent, communicate with the employees effectively. Leverage knowledge and experience of different departments and create a collaborate and cooperative environment. Value strong working relationships, networking and personal development. Implement employee development plans and hold managers accountable for implementing these. Lead by example.

"Great Benefits - AWEFUL Management"

Pros

Benefits - Free food, healthcare, snacks, events, etc

Cons

Manager
    - Micromanagement
    - Fear Tactics - When a mistake happened, instead of "Here is what you did wrong, let's work together and make sure this won't happen moving forward". He/She would "Tell me what you did wrong. Why did you do THAT? How can I trust you anymore? That's it, I'm taking you from key accounts."
    - Unapproachable - He/She would say "If you have any questions, let me know". When asked, he/she responded, "Read through all the documents and figure it out yourself. Get back to me when you can't find the answer."

Work Environment
    - Boring

Advice to Management

Employees should have the option to do yearly review of their manager.

"Travel Titanic"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

- Pretty decent benefits for sure
    - Breeding ground for lazy people

Cons

- Improper reference check of new employees
    - Poor screening of team members to siphon away the wrong fit
    Example: A newly joined employee who was nearly asked to leave in her previous workplace managed to join Tripadvisor without proper reference check
    - Caliber of working expertise is low across the board

Advice to Management

- Please ensure you hire the right people, it is not about interviewing the candidate but to also dive in deep into the employee past records.

Jun 10, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. At TripAdvisor, we have a comprehensive hiring process that includes thorough interviews, reference checks, and pre-employment background screening on all incoming ... More

"Don't join this company if you have ambition"

Pros

Great Benefits
    Great work life balance
    If you are lazy and don't have very good career prospects elsewhere this may very well be a company you join and cruise without putting in much effort for a long long time.
    Some great people who will likely all soon leave.

Cons

This is a company that has been able to survive a lot longer than it should because of the competitive advantage of the content. The company operates sort of like a family business. A lot of the very senior people exhibit zero skills in their area but seem to have lasted in the company so long because the CEO likes them. The management so out of touch with consumer needs (particularly in Asia) and seem hell bent on alienating every client and partner we've ever worked with. Teams are given tasks that mean they compete with each other or worse, do the same things as another team! The lack of career progression prospects particularly for middle managers is shocking. Anyone who is even mildly ambitious and good at their jobs are bound to leave in the next 6 months after realizing they have absolutely zero chance at a promotion. Stay away from this company. It is on a downward trajectory for sure.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. You are losing all your good people with your attitude.