TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Cons

1. "Great strong brand, smart individuals but wrong department"

Pros

Worked alongside with some of the smartest, most (travel) passionate & hardworking individuals. Company culture is great, TripAdvisor brand is strong & it was sad to leave. Benefits are awesome. I have a lot of respect for my co-workers in other teams.

Cons

My experience is only applicable to Hotel Solutions team.

Lack of career development & empowerment. Joined the team with the relevant experience, met my sales targets but my direct superior has no sales nor travel background yet set unrealistic KPIs as a result of senior management. We were not empowered to make decisions & the superiors with their lack of experience were neither mentors nor were they able to make good business decisions. Felt frustrated with the lack of opportunities to grow as an individual, yet people with less experience were given a pay raise & same title after restructuring.

Poor middle management: There was a lot of unnecessary politicking going on during my years in the team with the various changes. While things did almost change for the better during my last year, it took a dive when the wrong people were chosen to be the middle management. Felt a lack of communication between senior management to the people on the ground, mostly due to the poor choice of middle management who did not translate the correct message downwards. Middle management were just busy trying to keep their jobs & meet KPIs instead of doing what is good & necessary for the business.

Lack of soul & positive culture within the team: the culture of "keep your job by hitting KPI" translates to people who just do what was necessary to survive instead of what is necessary for the business to grow further. The sales floor was a frat party and sellers were just concerned about numbers than the customers. They did what was necessary to survive with unethical sales practices. The sales machine just lack soul and it became toxic to stick around anymore.

Lack of synergy between departments: each department work independently from one another though talking to the same customer. One department's decision can affect another but that was not taken into consideration. Unfair system that resulted into poor customer experience.

Advice to Management

Rethink the sales machine. Is it salespeople that the customers want or is it consultants who add value to them? Is performance measured only with the spreadsheet or with the feedback from the customers? The company has grown too big and detached from one another. The value of the company is unclear

"really depends who your manager is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, good salary, can be good if you luck out and get a decent manager who is supportive and encouraging

Cons

poor work/life balance, long hours, little support from managers, no advancement opportunity, very little chance to learn

Advice to Management

encourage your employees who want to learn more instead of driving them away with unattainable goals

"Uncomfortable"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Gym, Cafe, Lobby and security guards are great. Nothing wrong with the atmosphere the place provides.

Cons

The work is mundane and there is very little room for movement. It is not a place someone seeking to excel would enjoy.

"Not for problem solvers"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor

Pros

-Good benefits. Everyone knows this. This is why it attracts benefit-grabbing people who offer nothing to the company
    -Provide free classes for character/skills improvements. Too bad nobody's taking it, cos everybody feels like they're already good enough.

Cons

-If you want to improve anything at all, like the current system/live site/reporting process, sorry, this place is not for you. What you need to do is just hit your KPI/numbers, and feel free to grab a beer/coffee/tea time.
    -Not for creative people. You shouldn't be too creative, just need to take orders and do it. Also, someone might take your idea and take credits for it (or your manager only give credits to his favourite), or you'll be seen as the weirdo, just like in high school.
    -If you don't like to bootlick, you're going to have a hard time.

Advice to Management

-I know you have a bigger politics you have to play, but once in a while you need to look down and check the situation on the ground.
    -Maybe watch Game of Thrones and learn a thing or two about leadership.

"A Short Term Company"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work for the tripadvisor brand under the tripadvisor umbrella...

Company moves quickly to changes, whether operational or big projects. (Speed Wins).

The business pushes staff to measure results - quantitatively. and qualitatively, on a regular basis which creates goals and projects to strive towards.
    Low level of politics due to a staff shortage.
    Regular company meetings with senior leaders Q&A.

Free fruit, cereal, snacks, beers and wine in the London office.

The company is looking to re-build their HR / culture and values through a new leader so things may improve for the better.

A recognized global brand in travel.

Cons

Speed Wins: the term is used loosely by the CEO (Steve) as an attempt for staff to push to get things done really quickly but not perfectly.
    - This is really being lost in translation with management ; managers can push their delegates to get things done, be it the weekend or late nights; some managers have no concept of personal time and push to get things done in a speed wins manner at ridiculous times of the day (after hours) against conflicting priorities and against a lack of bandwidth.
    - Some large restructures are being put in place without scoping out many answers , which is leaving many people in 'limbo' creating uncertainty
    - Some managers want things done perfectly in a speed wins environment
    - I have a feeling that "speed wins" could be a strong cause of staff turnover within the business affecting some teams more than others
    - you can prioritize the speed wins projects but if every large project every day is at a speed wins level, you'll probably burn out
    - Speed wins created a humiliating and bad TV instant book campaign wasting millions

Leadership
    - feels like many of the junior staff working at trip do not have any sense of leadership or entrepreneurial skills (this could be a recruitment trait which could be associated to hires not challenging leadership (?).
    - Many senior staff are afraid of Steve K and his mannerism. He doesn't sound approachable or friendly.

Resources
    - Feels like there is real shortage of people resources at the tripadvisor (Sales / Product) brand disproportionately to the wider org or compared to the Viator brand.

Compared to other places I've worked, the culture and pace seems too overwhelming and I really don't foresee this as a long-term opportunity.

Advice to Management

I don't care about the freebies, just create a culture where it's easier to do my day-to-day job and leave the office happily.

May 13, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations about what’s working well here, and what we need to improve. I would be happy to chat in person about this as well. Let me try to explain my ... More

"Great Little Perks, Big Need For Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks (free lunch, after work activities)
    Fast paced

Cons

Management Needs Training. The constant need to "manage up".
    If you're not in Product, you are second class.

Advice to Management

Train Managers

Apr 6, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your comments and I’m pleased to see that you’re enjoying the pace and benefits that we provide here. We agree that there is a need to offer more management training and management ... More

"Avoid joining!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Benefits, including free transport to/from work.

Cons

Product only sells in the UK and Italy.

Advice to Management

Need to influence other departments.

Feb 12, 2016 – SVP, Global Sales

Thank you for your comments. We truly value the feedback from employees who have recently left the company and we use this feedback to make improvements. We’re thrilled to have recently welcomed a ... More

"Apparent problem with management"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Good benefit, good work-life balance.

Cons

Your life in TripAdvisor will totally depend on your manager. Some of them don't have enough experience or competence and people under them are feeling uncomfortable. Due to the situation like this, more and more people are leaving. The way they dismiss employee is sometimes too drastic. Recommend people to make sure that you will have a right manager before you join.

Advice to Management

Be humble and be open mind. Hire people more carefully.

Jan 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. You are absolutely right—having an effective manager is an important part of the work experience in any organization, including here at TripAdvisor. Developing leaders ... More

"Good first job, but don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Directly building something people use is great

Cons

No career growth, I was in the same role 3 years after I was hired. "Speed wins" is used to justify sloppy work and never addressing the mountain of technical debt. New technologies, even those proven elsewhere in the industry, are resisted.

Advice to Management

Stop being such a beurocratic, process-driven company. Your best people aren't seeing the recognition (title and salary) and are leaving.

Jan 27, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you felt this was a great first work experience and you enjoyed working on our product. As with any successful company we have accumulated technical ... More

"What is happening?"

Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free lunch and very nice office; used to be very smart people to work amongst as well

Cons

Judging by the flood of goodbye emails with tinges of anger, frustrating and disappointment it looks like a lot of us are starting to become disillusioned. What used to be a big company with small-company mindset of getting things done without red tape is now a corporate "not-it" culture with committees formed to discuss the upcoming subcommittee's committees over the course of unhelpful and contentious meetings where nothing gets accomplished.
    Decisions are often made politically rather than what makes sense - something that's evolved here recently - and half-baked products are launched and iterated after the fact (if there are any engineers that haven't (speed wins!) moved on to a new project already) at the expense of customer experience. Engineers and experienced staff are leaving in droves and being replaced by the new influx of future management here - SALES. It seems that making money has finally replaced the need for solid development teams to maintain quality products and features.
    It's a real disappointment - and people aren't nice to you here either. Good luck!

Advice to Management

wake up. there are too many middle managers causing a bottleneck to things actually getting done here. and they are motivated by politics rather than the best intentions of the customers or the teams they support. the grasp the ceo and close management team once had on the operations here is now tenuous at best.