TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Many things to change for improvement"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Benefits are good.
    - Environment is very friendly and the company encourages collaborative work.
    - Good life/work balance.
    - Efforts are made to keep employees happy in their working place.
    - Food in the office.

Cons

- Sales organisation long path for improvement.
    - Many external factors impact negatively sales performance.
    - Product development not structured / not customer centered.
    - Few products in the portfolio.
    - No career opportunities.

Advice to Management

- Sales and customer satisfaction staff have a deep knowledge about what clients and prospect would expect from products: use that knowledge smartly to improve existing and to create new products.
    - Sales organisation needs to be fully restructured: to take informed decisions, to establish realistic targets, to build useful and fair pipeline.

"Since Steve Kaufer LOVES reviews..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The perks, even for those of us who were not in HQ: fully covered employee insurance, annual vacation stipend, 401K matching, health and wellness stipend, extended holiday calendar, to name a few.

Cons

- The perks, which are/were a replacement to giving you a salary representative of similar roles/fair market.
    - Bloated middle management.
    - Red tape to fixing broken processes/inefficiencies.
    - Even after being revamped, the review process made it impossible to do well.
    - Also RE: the review process, being told that "No one ever gets 100%" on their reviews is unconscionable!
    - Favoritism amongst management.
    - Despite having a peer recognition program, management selectively (not surprisingly) gives out these accolades, to those who do not deserve it.
    - Speed does not win: iteration is great for engineering, but not across the board. Steve does not even follow this himself when every new hire has to cross his desk.

Advice to Management

I know the Cons listed above will be rebutted by HR and/or Management here on Glassdoor, but I have ZERO reason to lie about the atrocities I've noted. I've only given a 2* rating for the perks, but in the long term, the Cons outweigh the Pros.

That's not to say I didn't work with some uber awesome co-workers, they are what kept me at TripAdvisor for as long as I did. But to bear witness on multiple occasions: being overlooked for recognition in front of the entire US team because your then manager wasn't aware he had to prepare something for said meeting; being used as a ploy to manage up to upper management to prove that your manager was doing their job by being placed on a performance plan; to having a newly promoted manager takes credit for your work even though you've noted it to their manager is another thing I will not stand for.

I'm not going to plead because it would do me no good now (or anyone else for that matter), but upper management needs to cut the red tape and be honest & realistic about things. Rather than brushing aside suggestions from those who are in the weeds, actually take a pause and listen to your teams who do the actual work and heavy lifting by not trying to apply theory to real life actualities.

And like someone said in the reviews, stop trying to operate like a tech company when you're actually a content/resource company.

Oct 30, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review--although I’m disappointed to read that several aspects of your employment here did not meet your expectations. You specifically mention frustrations... More

"Lack of transparency"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

free lunch, free snacks, fitness reimbursement, etc.

Cons

products do not work and management is the definition of lack of transparency

"Double standard company"

Former Employee - Media Planner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Media Planner in London, England (UK)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the display CPM team as a media planner and the pros were :
    - fun and international team
    - fairly good training program
    - at first, you learn a lot
    - great location and offices in London
    - good benefits

Cons

I worked in the display CPM team as a media planner and the cons were :
    - there are some clear double stadard in terms of treatment in the team depending on your position (i.e : sales rep get away with anything, while media planner and ad ops do the majority of the work)
    - very poor work/life balance if in planning or ad ops team (you will stay and work late everyday while sales people are at the pub)
    - salaries below market
    - no company shares
    - poor or no career prospects
    - very poor ethics/ moral values, especially in the leadership team
    - in the sales team, really low turnover, very "cliquey" group of people enjoying their priviledge status

"Wouldn't Recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch
    Quality Engineering Teams
    Shuttles from greenline

Cons

Erratic management driven by latest shiny object
    Lip service to "no jerk" rule
    Suburbs

Advice to Management

At the end of the day, this is Steve Kaufer's company. I'm not sure that the advice of "find a ceo focused on strategy, not finding all of the bugs on TripAdvisor" will really cause you to look for a CEO focused on the right things.

"Sales Executive"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brand Image, Competitive Salary, Work environment

Cons

No career framework, no pricing strategy, no integrity

Advice to Management

It would be better to focus not only squeezing your customers to get as much as money from them but also offering a competitive product & solution. You should also focus the "how" part of the business and the way of working rather than the "what" part!

"Come for the free lunch, leave when you see that Speed Does Not Always Win."

Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with most of the reviews here: fairly competitive compensation, robust benefits package, great HQ space for employees, a genuine passion by the employees for the brand, a strong corporate philanthropy program and there are some supremely talented individuals in the company that are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

- Global company that acts local and insular. Decisions are driven out of Needham with little strategic consideration for the international offices or the territories in which we have a presence. There are a few senior leaders who have "global" responsibilities in their title that rarely travel to offices outside of Needham.
    - There is so much pivoting that we are all dizzy from doing a 180 based on the latest change of direction. We are a global company in the digital space that has to be nimble and flexible for the marketplace, but there has to be some discipline in how we think about product and marketing or you start heading to the land of inertia. It is no wonder the company is struggling for the past few years. The CEO often talks about playing the long game but we don't stay focused on a strategy, there is no real roadmap (it changes every week) and the words "strategic planning" don't exist. The process and hoops you have to jump through to do the right thing and drive the business is numbing.
    - Speed wins is the company motto but the CEO and key executives do not embrace "speed wins" when it comes to the HR process, performance reviews, merit increases or bonus payouts. It is an archaic, bureaucratic, political -- and from what I have seen something of a capricious and arbitrary process that does not value the employees who have allowed TripAdvisor to thrive. Perhaps management only receives their compensation rewards and merit increases after the employee review process is completed and the employees have received theirs.
    - Promotions are difficult to achieve for talented employees as management can be opaque on promotions and the process for promotions.
    - Turnover is rampant across most areas but especially in marketing. The organization at large does not seem to understand or value marketing or publicity - other companies that do value marketing and PR such as Priceline, Expedia, Trivago and Google are eating our lunch in a space where we should be dominating across the board. There are some brilliant marketing and PR professionals at TA who have been hamstrung by an organization who naively thinks that consumer behavior can be changed if you put a home page pop up message telling the consumer what TripAdvisor thinks it should do.

Advice to Management

- Improve the performance review, promotions and merit review process so that employees don't feel as if they are a part of the Hunger Games "may the odds be ever in your favor" that you will get a productive review and merit increase on time.
    - Senior leadership - please leave your offices and spend time with your employees and if you are global, get out of Needham a couple of times a year and be present for the offices in London and Singapore.
    - Understand that you are not just in the product business, you are in the content and experience business and great content and needs real marketing to support the consumer behavior you want to change. Please value marketing as much as you value product and engineering. You have seen what happens when you do not value and/or invest in marketing and so have our competitors.
    - People don't leave great companies (which TripAdvisor should be given its great benefits package and its brand proposition), people leave poor management.

May 26, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your extensive review and for honoring one of TripAdvisor’s core values, transparency, by sharing your feedback. You are clearly someone who cares tremendously about our success, our... More

"Positive"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

flexible, good pay, flexible hours with great holiday pay

Cons

no growing, negative environment, no challenges, same thing every day

Advice to Management

Very micro managing

"Okay company, good benefits, leadership misguided"

Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits
    Widely recognized brand
    Fair pay for industry
    401k matching
    Matching charity pay for charity of your choice

Cons

A lot of management is misguided, and not well-versed in modern mobile application design.

Oftentimes other teams or groups are skirting past user testing ideas before investing time and resources. Really inefficient and poor for building great product users want.

Old ways of doing things, hard to change culture or streamline processes.

Way too many meetings.

"Spec" process and constant back and forth on approvals takes entirely too long.

The "speed wins" mentality is antiquated and honestly I never felt like anyone I worked with believed in it. If it mattered, we wouldn't have had so many meetings or rounds of approvals.

It took weeks and weeks of calls, meetings, and a lot of ineffiencies to even ship ONE small feature.

Layers and layers of reporting structures.

I oftentimes found myself in meetings with people wondering why they were even there. 20+ invitees and four people are talking while everyone else buried in their laptops trying to get work done.

Some folks have been there too long and stuck in their ways. Clean house.

Some poor work life balance at times. Some peers were working 16 hour days during crunch time on projects that never materialized. Emails being sent over the weekend.

Raise and bonus structure was poor, and my reviews were very late.

Advice to Management

Downsize and streamline the teams.
    Get a VP or head of design and get better leadership in that area. Why are product designers reporting into marketing?
    Fix your meeting culture. Not everything needs a meeting. Go walk up to someone and talk for 5 minutes.

"Downhill spiral with no sign of improving"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OK benefits, nice people, location of the office is the best out of the portfolio.

Cons

Recently there has been a focus on cost cutting, which seems to only apply to offices outside of the HQ. The company has created some values to work by but these are mostly lip service and the upper management have done little regarding them since their inception. If you are outside of the US the workload is ridiculous as staffing levels are so low in the European and Asian offices, however, the same work output is expected, for example a US equivalent team could have three times more personnel than that of the European or Asian department.
    Moral is at an all time low across the board. this really isn't the company it used to be. My advice is to keep looking. TripAdvisor is just a but bla

Advice to Management

Think about the staff, they are the ones doing the work. Think about value of benefits and perks and how far they can go to make staff feel appreciated. Allow staff to own their role rather than interfering in how they carry out their duties. Finally there is a whole world outside of the States recognise this and stop trying to run the word from there.

May 11, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We’re always looking to improve and very much appreciate your feedback. As is true with any global company, having employees... More