TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good work/life balance, free food, free gym, beautiful office with snacks, free shuttle if you don't want to drive, and a laid back culture that rarely fires anyone.

Cons

Layers and layers of approval for the smallest decisions, with each layer contradicting the layer above it. Managers do not know how to manage - a lot of micro-management. The concept and practice of mentorship do not exist because managers have never been exposed to that themselves. This is not a place to stretch your wings or learn to be the best-in-class, this is a place to relax, especially if you have children. It's perfect for the right person with not a lot of ambition.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Start letting your employees do their job instead of micro-managing them. And if they consistently do a bad job, just fire them.

Feb 6, 2017 – SVP, Product

Thanks for your candid feedback. We are very proud of the benefits, office experience and work life balance that TripAdvisor provides and I’m pleased to see your positive remarks about all of these ... More

"Best places to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bright friendly helpful people. You will always be challenged to do your best work here and the facilities are second to none. Green workplaces and social awareness thru the company's charitable foundation set the tone. The focus is not simply vacations but travel in a broad sense.

Cons

Terrible location to commute to by car but there are shuttles to public transportation. Long hours in some groups. Bonus is dependent on being there on the payout date. Stock comp is limited to restricted stock for positions below director level..

Advice to Management

Open workstations are very distracting and must reduce productivity. Particularly in finance area.

Jan 4, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback. I couldn’t agree more with your comments about the friendly team, challenging environment and incredible office space that TripAdvisor provides. And as you allude to in the ... More

"I like working here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA

Pros

Solid work/life balance
    High pay and good benefits.

Cons

Often boring work
    Hard to get promoted

Advice to Management

Focus on something specific instead of changing gears every quarter.

"growing organization with a great culture but weak vision"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quality, talented people. Well resourced. High visibility at all levels of the organization. Flexible organizational structure to evolves to meet opportunities. High growth creates many opportunities.

Cons

Culture favors iteration over necessary step changes. Management sometimes treats success metrics as a vision and doesn't defend the user experience. Few women at senior positions and implicit biases often surface. Weakness in the director ranks create churn.

Advice to Management

Set more of a vision and guidelines to unify the organization. Reflect on why women are not 50/50 in the product organization despite junior ranks weighing heavily towards more women.

"you can work here and keep your hobbies."

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hour weeks, good pay, free food, free stuff in general, did I mention 40 hour weeks? And let's be realistic: 35 hour weeks are what's actually happening.

Cons

Management can be pretty curmudgeonly in the face of new stuff, plus there's a def preference for older people in more senior roles. I get that soft skills (management, etc) do develop with age, so the same young employees doing outstanding technical work may not be fit to advance into the existing (more management oriented) roles. That just means they need to figure out ways to use these people, because as it stands they leave.

6. "New Office - Lots of Perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

In June of 2015 TripAdvisor opened it's doors to a new global HQ right off of 128 in Needham. The perks include, free Lunch 5 days a week, onsite "pub" with beers on tap and wine refrigerator, great collaborative atmosphere, lots of places to meet in non-conference room settings, on-site gym (with classes and virtual classes) and free parking. Fast paced work environment with a "Speed wins" attitude.

Cons

Some teams are banned from working remotely or working from home.

Advice to Management

Not all employees work within a 10 mile radius of the new HQ. Allowing employees to work from home on a needed basis will support a healthy work/life balance and make employees feel trusted and supported.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very proud of the environment and benefits at our HQ and all of our global offices. I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying our new HQ, and are seeing firsthand how ... More

"Great Company, Great People, Starting to lack direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and people at TripAdvisor are amazing. Like nothing I have ever seen before in my life and will probably never see again in the future. Folks love to hang out together over a beer in the pub after work, or in the amazing cafe during lunch (free lunch). The work is generally challenging and rewarding as well.

Cons

Many product/engineering en-devours are only completed 75%-85% because the resources are strained which then creates problems for the end user and internal stakeholders. There also is not a clear path to the next level for ambitious individuals. When I leave, it will be because I don't see a path here and another company has a plan for me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the speed wins. Its not working anymore. Or at least follow up on projects to make sure they're actually complete and hold people accountable for bugs and enhancements. Also, its a little insane that the CEO still approves every new/backfill position and every promotion/raise. There are 3k people in this company. Its time to stop acting like a startup when it comes to some things.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor is a great company and the culture is really nice. There are lots of great perks from free food, to insurance, and money to spend on fitness.

Cons

People get promoted easily up the organization because they are smart and ambitious. However, these people have no people managing skills whatsoever.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn new skills and move around the organization if you're motivated. Very good on work-life balance if you're on the right team.

Cons

Sr Management isn't decisive enough-- they let things like reorgs and responsibility changes fester for a long time before making them official-- long enough so that everyone knows something is coming, but doesn't know what.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting team against team and creating siloes. Let the teams work together to achieve the best outcomes for the company.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your comments, and I’m glad to see that you're enjoying the career mobility and work-life balance that TripAdvisor offers. The senior management team agrees that teams working together ... More

"Flexible company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in time and location of work
    Fast paced
    Operates like s startup
    Minimal politics
    Collaborative environment
    Processes are open to change and improvement without a ton of red tape

Cons

Fast paced
    Collaborative, but each teams decisions can easily influence other teams, so communication is key
    Teams are highly distrusted across US and Canada

Aug 29, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We definitely pride ourselves on several of the attributes that you mentioned- “speed wins”, collaboration, and our start up like environment ... More