TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated July 24, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"can be a good start"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

free lunch pool table xbox.

Cons

better be JAVA programmer, everything is java

"worst company I've every worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No amount of free lunch and perks makes up for the lack of fair treatment and respect. The only pros are good health insurance and some flexibilty.

Cons

If you are young and lack experience you will love this company. If you are an adult and have experience this place will make you insane. Hard work does not pay off here. If you want to move up, find the right froends, it's the only way.

Advice to Management

Fire Steve and get a real CEO who understands business. The walls are cracking, get out while you can.

"codebase is an utter disaster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good compensation. free lunches. lots of young, beautiful people working there

Cons

codebase is a complete mess. take one example: a fellow developer had made some code modifications to the point where a variable had the exact opposite meaning of the variable's name. but nobody dared to try to change the name of the variable for fear of what might break.

people work very long hours, weekends, etc. i witnessed many incidents of bosses being downright mean and nasty to their employees, including yelling and demeaning comments.

you will be spending most of your time fixing bugs.

Advice to Management

you gotta be nice to the people you work with. no excuses.

"Tough Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people but unfortunately, these folks are not empowered to make necessary changes. Great benefits but not worth the overall trade off.

Cons

Too many to list. If you work there, my advice is to treat it as a funded job search and be weary of HR. If you are thinking about working there, save yourself the experience.

Advice to Management

My advice to the Board and Liberty is to dig deeper into why your turnover is so high and why so many people are unhappy. Departing CFO, SVP Engineering and many other employees from all levels are leaving. Your stock price will continue to decline. Your company's brand will only take you so far ... it's about the people and your TA employees have been neglected and commoditized.

"TeleSales (instant book and business listings)"

Former Employee - TELESALES Representative in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - TELESALES Representative in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get free lunch 3 days a week...only pro I can honestly think of.

Cons

EVERYTHING!!! Below industry standard pay, management has ZERO structure, they hire anyone and just keep the people who are successful and have massive turnaround (after working there for 9 months I became the 4th senior sales rep) . Market and leads are extremely saturated and if they tell you YOU CAN MOVE ONTO A DIFFERENT SECTION OF THE COMPANY AFTER 1 YEAR ITS A LIE. IT HAS ONLY BEEN DONE ONCE EVER!!!!

Advice to Management

get your ducks in a row!

"Trying to hard to be better than Google...which WILL never happen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch free three times a week
    all the snacks you could ever want
    Benefit package is adequate
    Great new building

Cons

Always promising you a future. I have heard it so many times... that there is so much growth! Dead End job! Only senior level and above make money. The only people management caters to are the engineers...and you have to be senior level to even be acknowledged. Everyone is Micromanaged here. Few are happy! We have a huge turnaround here. We lose people by the dozens weekly. Very frustrating. Giving up!

Advice to Management

Wake up! You are losing great people because of poor management.

"Misleading and Disingenuous, worker mill..."

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunch severed 3 days a week
    Snack bar with drinks
    Direct manager is pretty opened to work from home if needed

Cons

Where to begin. This is not a rant it is fact of what happened to me and others. They are very disingenuous during the hiring process. you are offered all these promises in the offer letter if you meet the goals. Your director and direct manager gives you a rave review and tells you that you are an exemplary employee and you have met and exceeded your goals and you are set for full bonus and salary increase this year. Then comes to actual salary increase of 0% and a tenth of the bonus promised in your offer letter. I was told this happens to everyone their first year, I had to ask, did I hear that right??? yes I did. very disappointing when one leaves a very good job to come to TripAdvisor in hopes of bettering them selves and then they are lied to during the interview process and in the offer letter. the praise does not justify the raise (or lack of) In good conscience I could not recommend this company for employment. There is a very high turn over here as the work life experience isn't great and the treatment of workers in-regards to compensation. I worked weeks away from my family and 15 to 17 hour days building this company out, and there was no thanks. My direct manager and Director were great but at the VP level i believe they are out of touch and don't allow the lower management to have any intercourse in the compensation benefits other than rating their subordinates. Also it is hard to get anything done as the upper management in my group manages by intimidation, everyone has their management style but in this case it makes lower management overly nervous to take acceptable risk in doing the job. Some may say that this is my experience only but, please read other reviews, I am absolutely sure you will find others just like this, along with some good reviews. For a college hire this may be a good fit and jumping block but for a highly skilled professional like me it was literally a slap in the face and insult. I can understand a low salary increase or bonus if the company was doing bad but, TripAdvisor is doing great.

Advice to Management

Middle management should be removed and replaced. Follow through on your promises of compensation and bonus and do not deceive new hires.

"Make sure you know what you're getting into"

Pros

Very friendly people, with the exception of a few individuals at the senior management level
    Good soft benefits

Cons

Micromanagement - some individuals at the senior management have a tendency to manage by treating employees as robots, and dictating how they should do technical aspects of their job - an area that they know very little or nothing about. Senior management needs to understand when and why employees become unhappy, and how this leads to lower work efficiency. Nobody will think lesser of you if you understand your competencies and stick to them instead of preaching to others how they should be doing work and managing their time.

No real direction - During my time at FlipKey, the ideas used to improve the website all had a neutral outlook at best (if not bad for the business). Seems like most of the changes made are either through trial and error or by copying competitors. If the business stays reactive to the market, then there is really no reason that the firm should grow. The only reason the firm is still doing alright is because they are riding the "Vacation Rental" market wave. Once this space becomes saturated, I do hope that good innovations have been made so that they can still command a share in the market - for the sake of its employees.

Not caring about the end customers - most of the 'impactful' decisions made were to nickel-and-dime the home owners and the travelers. If this is the best that the firm can think of to improve revenue, then there is a serious problem with long term planning or understanding of value and what customers appreciate. Its tough to work for a company when you have little to no faith in the value of the product or its potential to grow anymore.

Employee attrition - most of the employees that understood the business well (founders, people who were very close to the Vaction Home Rental industry) have left, and many other employees left the company in hordes because of senior management. Everyone who has left felt unappreciated, which is somewhat of an understatement. This is primarily due to the employees that have populated the ranks since the TripAdvisor takeover. The company still has a flat structure from its startup days, but is anything but startup-like anymore.

Advice to Management

Try to understand what motivates your employees, and improve their happiness. Micromanagement is one of the most ineffective ways of management, and should ideally be discarded from the company culture altogether. If you want the firm to be successful after the market saturates, make sure you understand your employees and end customers. The numbers in which people are leaving the company is a big indicator that management is being ineffective at something - understand that and try to fix it.

TripAdvisor Response

Feb 26, 2015 – GM

I’m sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience working at FlipKey and you felt micro-managed. That is certainly not in line with our culture of rewarding people who are results-driven... More

9. "Hurts to many small businesses"

Former Employee - Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company structure and overall environment is great to start!

Cons

Supervisors are stiff and unhumorous. Its widely known review posts on TA are done falsely or with malicious intent over 45% of the time. However, BIG ad dollars mean big $$ to the company. So in spite of the anti-business effects of TA, nothing will ever be done to foster good will with business owners and hotels. No pride while working here. This place was crap!

Advice to Management

Take some management classes! Learn some basic customer service skills! We are a service industry. Listen to the property owners and stop throwing away their claims and discrediting hard working people!

"Not structured for scale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches 3x a week
    Complimentary snacks/beverages
    Travel reimbursement
    Nice people

Cons

When I interviewed for my role, every person I talked to emphasized that we're a "speed wins" culture. Now that I'm in the company, I realize it's just words. You can't actually do anything without approval from the CEO. Every request for new headcount requires his approval, and in some cases takes month to finalize. He often pushes back on headcount requests for reasons such as "don't agree with years of experience" or "role should be a level J, not a K". I haven't been able to figure out if he's a micro-manager or if he doesn't trust his leadership team (or both). Additionally, I believe the company is grossly inefficient. Many acquisitions have been made, and it doesn't appear as though there are any plans to integrate the companies. I understand sometimes that is done for strategic reasons, but I don't see how the company will scale with so many engineering teams, so many marketing teams, so many distinct sales organizations, etc. Sadly, everyone I've talked to who has joined TripAdvisor from larger, more established companies seems to feel the same way. The company has such a strong employment brand, but then you join and can't wrap your head around how the company has been able to be successful at all. I suspect TripAdvisor is trying to hold on to the "small company, start-up type" culture, but sometimes a company needs to accept that they're not small anymore (almost 3k people now) and needs to start acting like a larger company.

Advice to Management

Please trust your managers to make decisions for their own orgs. If you don't trust them, find people you can trust.