TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated March 19, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • tons of video meetings, work life balance is not good in my team (in 11 reviews)

• Poor upper management and confusion in the direction of the company (in 18 reviews)

1. "Content Specialist"

Former Employee - Content Specialist in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Content Specialist in Peabody, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, you're able to get in at 7 and leave at 3.

Cons

Compensation Is not the great but for some the benefits outweigh the compensation.

"Good sales school"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, OH

Pros

You will be given exclusive opportunity to do sales and achieve challenging targets with some support from other departments who will make your life easier.

Cons

You will feel confused about the value proposition and might doubt if product is worth its price.

"Vary from team to team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

free snacks, free lunch. smart people.

Cons

tons of video meetings, work life balance is not good in my team.

Apr 11, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. Finding the exact right ratio of meeting time vs project time and work-life balance is a challenge for many organizations. As a speed wins company, we definitely try to ... More

"When Everything is a P1 Issue, Nothing Is"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ The new needham headquarters has some truly stellar amenities. Lunch 5 days a week, game room, full gym with locker rooms, etc.
    + There are some really amazing people that work there and I miss them dearly.
    + This is a great first job out of college, a tremendous learning experience.

Cons

- Product is always right and seems to have little sympathy for the engineers they work with. It is very easy for a Product Manager to insist that something be done over the weekend when they aren't the ones that have to do the actually engineering work. Not all product managers are at the same caliber either with makes the work even more frustrating.
    - There is too much politicking. People have become territorial instead of cooperative which makes every day a slog.
    - Engineering has very little input into the product roadmap which eventually forces some of the best engineers to seek new employment at smaller companies.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of frustrated engineers at TripAdvisor. This is not normal attrition and engineers are leaving to find companies where they will be valued for their skills and impact. You need to wake up and actually try to retain your best people. TripAdvisor is quickly becoming a talent mill for the Greater Boston area.

Don't offer stock options in comp packages if the CEOs motto is to 'Ignore the stock price while building a "better" company for the future'. No one is staying long enough to reap any benefits of the "Future TripAdvisor". In fact, you should seriously consider revamping everyone's comp package. Startups are putting together some really attractive offers.

Jan 27, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you were able to enjoy the new headquarters and positive learning experience here. Engineering is critical to our success and we take your concerns and the ... More

"HR coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, decent size gym, shuttle service, pets at work, casual attire

Cons

Poor leadership, inexperienced management, very small teams juggling huge work loads, company is more profit focused than employee morale focused, high turnover, salaries are often under market.

Advice to Management

My manager has not taken many if any management course like other companies do. I feel our management teams are not equipped to manage people although they might know the actual job well. We are getting flooded with goodbye emails which should wake up our senior managers to actually start paying attention! The free lunch and free booze does not compensate for treating your employees poorly.

Jan 19, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that your experience with your manager has not been positive, and I encourage you to speak with your HR Business Partner or me directly to share ... More

"Great Compay, Proud to work here. But they have things to work on!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, great people. Quality, high impact work. Treated like an adult and they foster culture of flexibility, But it is expected that you work hard and get your job done as they should.

Cons

Lots of growing pains with some gaps in Senior leadership during important time of growth. Management team lacks leadership that is needed to help fuel drive and motivation in its employee's.

Advice to Management

Figure out who we are and we are going fast, and DRIVE IT HOME.

Jan 19, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. Like you, I am very proud to be part of the TripAdvisor team, having personally filled one of those “gaps” that you mention when I joined the organization in September ... More

"Senior Technical Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Grafton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Grafton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a Java Engineer, then this is a great place to work. You are highly valued and the company strives to make it a better place for you to work.

Cons

If you are not a Java Engineer...

Advice to Management

You do need more than just Java Engineers to run a company.

"If your not a engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brockton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (Less than a year)

Pros

good food and good snacks alot of free events

Cons

no growth opportunities for positions other then engineer

10. "Decent Place to Work-Good Benefits"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Benefits and coworkers are great. More of a 9-5 culture with little reoccurring meetings.

Cons

High level strategy is not well defined. We seem to be doing things by the seat of our pants quite a bit. Little room for advancement and career growth.

Advice to Management

Define strategy more clearly and promote people based on experience and skill set.

11. "Contract to Perm Not Likely"

Current Contractor - Interaction Designer in Needham, MA
    Current Contractor - Interaction Designer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of perks: free lunches, snacks, cold brew coffee, happy hour, full gym and more
    - Worthwhile experience, was able to beef up my resume and portfolio
    - Good team environment, most co-workers are approachable
    - Good pay

Cons

- More likely to hirer externally instead of looking internally first
    - Not a lot of communication from upper management - they seem unapproachable
    - Easy to get lost in the shuffle and forgotten about

Advice to Management

Don't say the job has "potential" to be temp to perm when there are no open recs