TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated February 12, 2017

"Worked Remotely"

Pros

Lots of travel. Worked from home.

Cons

Growing too fast for me

"you can work here and keep your hobbies."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hour weeks, good pay, free food, free stuff in general, did I mention 40 hour weeks? And let's be realistic: 35 hour weeks are what's actually happening.

Cons

Management can be pretty curmudgeonly in the face of new stuff, plus there's a def preference for older people in more senior roles. I get that soft skills (management, etc) do develop with age, so the same young employees doing outstanding technical work may not be fit to advance into the existing (more management oriented) roles. That just means they need to figure out ways to use these people, because as it stands they leave.

3. "New Office - Lots of Perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

In June of 2015 TripAdvisor opened it's doors to a new global HQ right off of 128 in Needham. The perks include, free Lunch 5 days a week, onsite "pub" with beers on tap and wine refrigerator, great collaborative atmosphere, lots of places to meet in non-conference room settings, on-site gym (with classes and virtual classes) and free parking. Fast paced work environment with a "Speed wins" attitude.

Cons

Some teams are banned from working remotely or working from home.

Advice to Management

Not all employees work within a 10 mile radius of the new HQ. Allowing employees to work from home on a needed basis will support a healthy work/life balance and make employees feel trusted and supported.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very proud of the environment and benefits at our HQ and all of our global offices. I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying our new HQ, and are seeing firsthand how ... More

"Great Company, Great People, Starting to lack direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and people at TripAdvisor are amazing. Like nothing I have ever seen before in my life and will probably never see again in the future. Folks love to hang out together over a beer in the pub after work, or in the amazing cafe during lunch (free lunch). The work is generally challenging and rewarding as well.

Cons

Many product/engineering en-devours are only completed 75%-85% because the resources are strained which then creates problems for the end user and internal stakeholders. There also is not a clear path to the next level for ambitious individuals. When I leave, it will be because I don't see a path here and another company has a plan for me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the speed wins. Its not working anymore. Or at least follow up on projects to make sure they're actually complete and hold people accountable for bugs and enhancements. Also, its a little insane that the CEO still approves every new/backfill position and every promotion/raise. There are 3k people in this company. Its time to stop acting like a startup when it comes to some things.

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor is a great company and the culture is really nice. There are lots of great perks from free food, to insurance, and money to spend on fitness.

Cons

People get promoted easily up the organization because they are smart and ambitious. However, these people have no people managing skills whatsoever.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn new skills and move around the organization if you're motivated. Very good on work-life balance if you're on the right team.

Cons

Sr Management isn't decisive enough-- they let things like reorgs and responsibility changes fester for a long time before making them official-- long enough so that everyone knows something is coming, but doesn't know what.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting team against team and creating siloes. Let the teams work together to achieve the best outcomes for the company.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your comments, and I’m glad to see that you're enjoying the career mobility and work-life balance that TripAdvisor offers. The senior management team agrees that teams working together ... More

"Great growing company. Lots of opportunity for those who are patient."

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Smart people. Beautiful office in Needham. 5 day a week free lunch, with huge variety.
    Online courses to improve skills.

Cons

Advancement is slow and generally you need to be doing the work of the next level before you get the promotion.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees

"Okay"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great new building - really makes a difference in work effectiveness. Right away you get to work on big, impactful projects.

Cons

Bigger company so red tape in getting things done. Spend a lot of time coordinating with other teams and getting buy in. Pay is not competitive.

Jul 25, 2016 – SVP, Product

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to see that you're enjoying the new building and impactful work that we do here. I appreciate your comments surrounding project coordination and buy in. Finding ... More

10. "People Really Seem To Like Trip"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern

Pros

There truly seems to be actual comradely around the office. The company gives employees really good perks and benefits.

Cons

Some people might not like location, but the building itself is great.

Advice to Management

Continue to go after a small company feel; it's critical for morale and team spirit.

"Good Experience"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Lots of perks, great for younger employee
    New office space
    pro dogs
    Charitable Foundation give a lot of money to local 501c3s
    Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Definite favoritism toward the ENG team
    Pay scale isn't industry standard, at least for the language professionals
    Contract workers have weird rules
    Remote worker policy not defined, some can some can't.

Advice to Management

Better policy for contract and remote workers.

Jun 10, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We’re proud of our office benefits and perks as well as the global impact of our charitable foundation. With regard to our pay scale, we use market benchmarks to ensure ... More