TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"you can work here and keep your hobbies."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hour weeks, good pay, free food, free stuff in general, did I mention 40 hour weeks? And let's be realistic: 35 hour weeks are what's actually happening.

Cons

Management can be pretty curmudgeonly in the face of new stuff, plus there's a def preference for older people in more senior roles. I get that soft skills (management, etc) do develop with age, so the same young employees doing outstanding technical work may not be fit to advance into the existing (more management oriented) roles. That just means they need to figure out ways to use these people, because as it stands they leave.

"Unique culture"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing and expanding place to work. Lots of cool people and a great local brand. Well respected in the area and an industry leader

Cons

Lots of leadership has been in place for a long time and not really looking to change or innovate.
    Culturally it's easier to avoid problems than solve them
    Speed win mentality isn't always the right approach especially when taken out of context

Advice to Management

Be willing to listen to people that have different ideas and embrace the fact that as you grow and scale you need to evolve in order to continue succeeding

3. "New Office - Lots of Perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

In June of 2015 TripAdvisor opened it's doors to a new global HQ right off of 128 in Needham. The perks include, free Lunch 5 days a week, onsite "pub" with beers on tap and wine refrigerator, great collaborative atmosphere, lots of places to meet in non-conference room settings, on-site gym (with classes and virtual classes) and free parking. Fast paced work environment with a "Speed wins" attitude.

Cons

Some teams are banned from working remotely or working from home.

Advice to Management

Not all employees work within a 10 mile radius of the new HQ. Allowing employees to work from home on a needed basis will support a healthy work/life balance and make employees feel trusted and supported.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very proud of the environment and benefits at our HQ and all of our global offices. I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying our new HQ, and are seeing firsthand how ... More

"Good, but Frustrating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits & pay
    Nice amenities (i.e. Free lunch & snacks, gym, bar, game room)
    Mostly good people to work with

Cons

The company holds on to non-motivated employees. It's frustrating when you work really hard and then are also expected to pick up the slack of others. It doesn't seem like there is accountability for ones own work.

Advice to Management

I think it's better to have the right fit than a warm body. Review your staff and listen to your employees. People don't want to feel as if they're carrying the weight of others.

"Great Company, Great People, Starting to lack direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and people at TripAdvisor are amazing. Like nothing I have ever seen before in my life and will probably never see again in the future. Folks love to hang out together over a beer in the pub after work, or in the amazing cafe during lunch (free lunch). The work is generally challenging and rewarding as well.

Cons

Many product/engineering en-devours are only completed 75%-85% because the resources are strained which then creates problems for the end user and internal stakeholders. There also is not a clear path to the next level for ambitious individuals. When I leave, it will be because I don't see a path here and another company has a plan for me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the speed wins. Its not working anymore. Or at least follow up on projects to make sure they're actually complete and hold people accountable for bugs and enhancements. Also, its a little insane that the CEO still approves every new/backfill position and every promotion/raise. There are 3k people in this company. Its time to stop acting like a startup when it comes to some things.

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor is a great company and the culture is really nice. There are lots of great perks from free food, to insurance, and money to spend on fitness.

Cons

People get promoted easily up the organization because they are smart and ambitious. However, these people have no people managing skills whatsoever.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn new skills and move around the organization if you're motivated. Very good on work-life balance if you're on the right team.

Cons

Sr Management isn't decisive enough-- they let things like reorgs and responsibility changes fester for a long time before making them official-- long enough so that everyone knows something is coming, but doesn't know what.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting team against team and creating siloes. Let the teams work together to achieve the best outcomes for the company.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your comments, and I’m glad to see that you're enjoying the career mobility and work-life balance that TripAdvisor offers. The senior management team agrees that teams working together ... More

"Flexible company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in time and location of work
    Fast paced
    Operates like s startup
    Minimal politics
    Collaborative environment
    Processes are open to change and improvement without a ton of red tape

Cons

Fast paced
    Collaborative, but each teams decisions can easily influence other teams, so communication is key
    Teams are highly distrusted across US and Canada

Aug 29, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We definitely pride ourselves on several of the attributes that you mentioned- “speed wins”, collaboration, and our start up like environment ... More

"Great growing company. Lots of opportunity for those who are patient."

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Smart people. Beautiful office in Needham. 5 day a week free lunch, with huge variety.
    Online courses to improve skills.

Cons

Advancement is slow and generally you need to be doing the work of the next level before you get the promotion.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees

"Great perks! Intense Interview process"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

The office space at TripAdvisor is undeniably enticing - the food and snacks keep employees productive and happy, dogs are allowed into the office which is great for morale, and the gym and adjustable desks (standing or sitting!) help with the type of work that keeps you at the computer all day.

Cons

The amount of work can become overwhelming and repetitive, and it seems to take quite a while to move up in the company, if that is your goal. It's an incredibly quickly expanding startup, so this may have something to do with it. It's for the right type of person, and that's probably why the interviewing process was so extensive and long as well.

Advice to Management

I had a disappointing experience when it comes to communication between the departments. I had to wait many many weeks to hear back from a job application, while HR was all the while telling me I'd hear back this week, two more days, etc. It's understandable that a hiring decision takes a while, but the miscommunications on that front were misleading.