TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Really terrible place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor (More than a year)

Pros

you get paid, that's it. Cannot think of anything good about the team. I am not talking about the company i am talking about teams.

Cons

The so called new hire team rotation does not exist at all! When they hire they give such option. However once you are placed in a team, you are dead.

People:
    In the whole year we have only one team lunch(no outing at all), all my manager knows is to stand behind people and asking how's it going. Those nerds in my team never know how to have a life. All they talk about is go home and watch cartoon. and they are pool on communucation with others, all cynic.
    When I ask how to find sth or can you give me a demo, they would say go google.

Technology:

They never know how old their technology is . Java for websites, not willing to use new stuffs. You cannot find spark/ nosql/ redis/ docker/ whatever is industrial standard now.

They use SOAP, HTML, Spring, all kinds of dead limbo stuffs.

Managers generally come for 3 years then leave. No one cars about long term profit.

Stocks:

Company miss market for 3 times now it is only $50, the revenue is even lower than 2014. I cannot think of any future.

Promotion:

Great people leaves. My best body at the team not at google and I am at another big company. When we reunion and talked, we both agree that manager does not know how to promote right people. Salary raise cannot even counter inflation. People's title does not even change after 3 years.

Energy:

I can only see people in their 40s in manaqer position, which makes the whole company not enegertic at all.

Advice to Management

Think about how to pick proper managers

Dec 1, 2016 – VP, Engineering, Vacation Rentals

Thank you for your comments and we apologize that you found your experience here so disappointing. Unfortunately, this is a difficult forum to understand and discuss all of the details. We... More

"Very family-friendly, great co-workers"

Pros

-My colleagues are amazing. They are smart, driven, and generally just fun to work with. This stems from the VP level down.
    -I am a huge fan of the site. After four years of working here, I continue to be a regular user of TripAdvisor and am very proud to tell people where I work.
    -My work is challenging - sometimes too challenging but that is better than the alternative. I genuinely like what I do every day which is not always true at every company.
    -I am a female in a Director level role. I've been promoted 2x in the past 4 years, the first of which I was on maternity leave when it happened and prior to receiving the second promotion I had clearly expressed to my (male) boss that I was planning to expand my family again. This really speaks to the family-friendly culture we have at TA and how the company/my department rewards hard work and results.

Cons

-Some HR processes could be smoother - performance reviews, position approvals, etc.

Advice to Management

The company keeps growing and with growth comes growing pains. The biggest one is that company culture is getting a little lost. TA should invest more in creating productive team cultures of employees who genuinely like to work together. Investment in things like off-sites, team activities, and company events not necessarily on property are important.

Sep 29, 2016 – Chief People Officer

How great to hear that you are enjoying your work, team and product here at TripAdvisor. Thanks for that feedback. We definitely strive to reward hard work and results, and to provide career... More

"Worked Remotely"

Pros

Lots of travel. Worked from home.

Cons

Growing too fast for me

4. "Great Company - Easy to get to"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

The shuttles make getting to work from the city quick and easy. The facility is astounding and packed with all the amenities you can imagine

Cons

Concerns about who they are hiring to lead teams and whole departments - lack of innovation

"growing organization with a great culture but weak vision"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quality, talented people. Well resourced. High visibility at all levels of the organization. Flexible organizational structure to evolves to meet opportunities. High growth creates many opportunities.

Cons

Culture favors iteration over necessary step changes. Management sometimes treats success metrics as a vision and doesn't defend the user experience. Few women at senior positions and implicit biases often surface. Weakness in the director ranks create churn.

Advice to Management

Set more of a vision and guidelines to unify the organization. Reflect on why women are not 50/50 in the product organization despite junior ranks weighing heavily towards more women.

"you can work here and keep your hobbies."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hour weeks, good pay, free food, free stuff in general, did I mention 40 hour weeks? And let's be realistic: 35 hour weeks are what's actually happening.

Cons

Management can be pretty curmudgeonly in the face of new stuff, plus there's a def preference for older people in more senior roles. I get that soft skills (management, etc) do develop with age, so the same young employees doing outstanding technical work may not be fit to advance into the existing (more management oriented) roles. That just means they need to figure out ways to use these people, because as it stands they leave.

"Unique culture"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing and expanding place to work. Lots of cool people and a great local brand. Well respected in the area and an industry leader

Cons

Lots of leadership has been in place for a long time and not really looking to change or innovate.
    Culturally it's easier to avoid problems than solve them
    Speed win mentality isn't always the right approach especially when taken out of context

Advice to Management

Be willing to listen to people that have different ideas and embrace the fact that as you grow and scale you need to evolve in order to continue succeeding

8. "New Office - Lots of Perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

In June of 2015 TripAdvisor opened it's doors to a new global HQ right off of 128 in Needham. The perks include, free Lunch 5 days a week, onsite "pub" with beers on tap and wine refrigerator, great collaborative atmosphere, lots of places to meet in non-conference room settings, on-site gym (with classes and virtual classes) and free parking. Fast paced work environment with a "Speed wins" attitude.

Cons

Some teams are banned from working remotely or working from home.

Advice to Management

Not all employees work within a 10 mile radius of the new HQ. Allowing employees to work from home on a needed basis will support a healthy work/life balance and make employees feel trusted and supported.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very proud of the environment and benefits at our HQ and all of our global offices. I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying our new HQ, and are seeing firsthand how... More

"Good, but Frustrating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits & pay
    Nice amenities (i.e. Free lunch & snacks, gym, bar, game room)
    Mostly good people to work with

Cons

The company holds on to non-motivated employees. It's frustrating when you work really hard and then are also expected to pick up the slack of others. It doesn't seem like there is accountability for ones own work.

Advice to Management

I think it's better to have the right fit than a warm body. Review your staff and listen to your employees. People don't want to feel as if they're carrying the weight of others.

"Great Company, Great People, Starting to lack direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and people at TripAdvisor are amazing. Like nothing I have ever seen before in my life and will probably never see again in the future. Folks love to hang out together over a beer in the pub after work, or in the amazing cafe during lunch (free lunch). The work is generally challenging and rewarding as well.

Cons

Many product/engineering en-devours are only completed 75%-85% because the resources are strained which then creates problems for the end user and internal stakeholders. There also is not a clear path to the next level for ambitious individuals. When I leave, it will be because I don't see a path here and another company has a plan for me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the speed wins. Its not working anymore. Or at least follow up on projects to make sure they're actually complete and hold people accountable for bugs and enhancements. Also, its a little insane that the CEO still approves every new/backfill position and every promotion/raise. There are 3k people in this company. Its time to stop acting like a startup when it comes to some things.