TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Current Employees

Cons

"If your not a engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brockton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (Less than a year)

Pros

good food and good snacks alot of free events

Cons

no growth opportunities for positions other then engineer

"Do your homework!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This review is for the Boston office which also has reviews under FlipKey. If you are interviewing at the Boston office make sure you are looking at those reviews!

- snacks in the office
    - catered lunch twice a week
    - good location in Boston
    - coworkers are friendly
    - work is easy if you want a 9-5:30

Cons

- work is boring
    - most people do tactical stuff all day and there is no strategy involved, doesn't matter what level you are
    - career pathing is nonexistent
    - undeserved promotions go to those who are management favorites
    - many coworkers are just here until something better comes along so you never know when your team will lose more people
    - it's so quiet in the office that you will want to jump out the windows every day
    - TripAdvisor doesn't seem to care about the vacation rentals part of the business at all. It's rarely mentioned in the quarterly updates and we are on our own island.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the number of people leaving the company or at least pretend you care when someone asks about it in a team meeting. It's not normal to lose 50% of your team within one year. This is not "growing pains" from TripAdvisor buying FlipKey.

"Does not meet expectations"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pay okay, smart new office in Needham.

Cons

Don't be fooled by TripAdvisor, managers will make false promises regarding your career development.
    New employees who joined in the past 2 years are being paid far more than their colleagues who have been here longer.
    The best way to get a pay rise at TripAdvisor is to leave and then come back within 12 months and negotiate a higher salary and a sign-on bonus.
    Key executive roles take 12+ months to hire
    You get $10,000 if your referral is hired, but little bonus if you work hard
    Working from home is only allowed if you're friends with your boss

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee, employees are unhappy and you don't seem to care.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations
    This is a great place for people who are clear on what they want from their career

Cons

Huge lack of communication and accountability

6. "Contract to Perm Not Likely"

Current Contractor - Interaction Designer in Needham, MA
    Current Contractor - Interaction Designer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of perks: free lunches, snacks, cold brew coffee, happy hour, full gym and more
    - Worthwhile experience, was able to beef up my resume and portfolio
    - Good team environment, most co-workers are approachable
    - Good pay

Cons

- More likely to hirer externally instead of looking internally first
    - Not a lot of communication from upper management - they seem unapproachable
    - Easy to get lost in the shuffle and forgotten about

Advice to Management

Don't say the job has "potential" to be temp to perm when there are no open recs

"Great product, scattered direction"

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Lots of traffic, lots of optimization to be done, lots of data to be worked with

Cons

Company doesn't seem to know how best to manage data volume and direct analysis to uncover greatest optimization potential

Advice to Management

hire more data scientists in senior roles

"Good company, cool people becoming sluggish."

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New HQ
    Genuine people
    Perks, free lunches, healthcare, dog friendly, 401k match

Cons

TripAdvisor has become the company I didn't want it to. It now has that big company feel. Our saying is 'Speed Wins' but that might be true for a few silo departments. The company now has as much bureaucracy and politics as EMC or IBM. Liven up the brand and take some risks too many people are complacent and won't do things that are interesting, especially in the Marketing departments.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of Barbara and Steve. Be disruptive.

9. "Great company, wonderful benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people really make this a fantastic company to work for. The work itself is also constantly evolving and done at a quick pace which I love. Lots of opportunities to contribute and see the impact of your work.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities are surprising given the length of time the interviewing process takes.

Advice to Management

Consider more thoughtful job families so that valuable contributors have opportunities over time.

"Great Company - going through some changes to make it better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic group of smart people. Interested in solving problems for their consumers, but sometimes a bit too A/B focused for revenue gains. Trip continues to invest, take risk, and grow their risk.

For a software engineer - great opportunity to learn how a consumer facing site with a huge traffic base operates. Ownership throughout the stack, fast iterative cycles, and interesting technical problems to be solved.

Cons

TripAdvisor has been going through internal engineering struggles as it deals with code base issues, a very tight job market, friction between engineering and product, and a lack of career opportunities. That is all changing as the organization recognizes the need to make changes and is unafraid to air the problems publicly and figure out solutions.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication going. Commit to the changes necessary to make the engineering group that much better.

"Lots of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Online Business Development Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Online Business Development Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company provided me with many opportunities to learn about different aspects of the business and see where my interests were. The other employees were willing to speak about what they do and teach me about their roles. If you put in the effort to show your interest, this company will value your desire to grow within the organization.

I have personally invited the CEO to coffee once before in order to discuss the business as it interested me greatly. I have found upper management very willing to communicate when approached.

To some of the other reviewers here: If the only pros you can list are the kegs, free snacks, and ping pong, your review of this company is not entirely reliable as it seems you applied for the wrong reasons from the beginning. Your ability to grow within any organization depends on YOU. This is a great company to work for and learn from, but like any job, you must take responsibility for your own career. There are resources here and there are people willing to teach. Ask questions, be present, voice ideas, and seek opportunity.

Cons

I do not have any concrete cons to list at this time.

TripAdvisor Response

Jun 10, 2015 – General Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback. I’m very pleased to hear that you’ve had such a positive experience at FlipKey! And you’re right, we are a company filled with great people, who are willing ... More