TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

"What is happening?"

Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free lunch and very nice office; used to be very smart people to work amongst as well

Cons

Judging by the flood of goodbye emails with tinges of anger, frustrating and disappointment it looks like a lot of us are starting to become disillusioned. What used to be a big company with small-company mindset of getting things done without red tape is now a corporate "not-it" culture with committees formed to discuss the upcoming subcommittee's committees over the course of unhelpful and contentious meetings where nothing gets accomplished.
    Decisions are often made politically rather than what makes sense - something that's evolved here recently - and half-baked products are launched and iterated after the fact (if there are any engineers that haven't (speed wins!) moved on to a new project already) at the expense of customer experience. Engineers and experienced staff are leaving in droves and being replaced by the new influx of future management here - SALES. It seems that making money has finally replaced the need for solid development teams to maintain quality products and features.
    It's a real disappointment - and people aren't nice to you here either. Good luck!

Advice to Management

wake up. there are too many middle managers causing a bottleneck to things actually getting done here. and they are motivated by politics rather than the best intentions of the customers or the teams they support. the grasp the ceo and close management team once had on the operations here is now tenuous at best.

"Great Compay, Proud to work here. But they have things to work on!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, great people. Quality, high impact work. Treated like an adult and they foster culture of flexibility, But it is expected that you work hard and get your job done as they should.

Cons

Lots of growing pains with some gaps in Senior leadership during important time of growth. Management team lacks leadership that is needed to help fuel drive and motivation in its employee's.

Advice to Management

Figure out who we are and we are going fast, and DRIVE IT HOME.

Jan 19, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. Like you, I am very proud to be part of the TripAdvisor team, having personally filled one of those “gaps” that you mention when I joined the organization in September ... More

"Sales: Zero Appreciation for Top Performers"

Former Employee - Business Listing Sales in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Business Listing Sales in Needham, MA

Pros

Free lunches, fun people, nice office

Cons

Compensation, KPIs, management, senior leadership, great first job out of school, but if youre a top 10% performer you can easily leave for much better compensation and roles within a year.

Advice to Management

Youre the only major tech company who puts sales last, you should care when your top people leave for double the money elsewhere, but you don't. Check out the word "smarketing". Implement it. Your glassdoor rating is absolutely plummeting, and people should take notice. Sales drives everything in the company...appreciate the sales team. Zero growth opportunities.

Jan 27, 2016 – SVP, Global Sales

Thank you for your feedback. It’s disappointing to hear that you haven’t had a more positive experience here. We take it very seriously when employees choose to leave TripAdvisor, and we want to ... More

"Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Brighton, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Brighton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor (More than a year)

Pros

A great summer experience, TripAdvisor offers everything you need: a great mentor, great facility, free lunch every day, etc

Cons

Projects and the amount of work may vary depending on what internship position and department youre in.

Jan 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We are very happy to hear you had a great summer intern experience. It is important to us that students are able to gain relevant work experience that helps them in their future career. Thank you for ... More

"Great place to work with very smart energetic people all around"

Former Employee - Many in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Many in Boston, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The People, The People, The People...to start with. Great attitudes all around, in all of the departments i worked with. There is a culture of hiring people not only for their intelligence and acumen, also that they are a good fit for the company, which leads to a very fun, yet demanding experience. There is so much to learn from this type of a culture, and that is exactly what happened with me over the years.

Being part of the TripAdvisor family is also a great plus and I'm not talking about all of the bells and whistles that any established Boston company, or well funded start up has, but it leads to all sorts of possibilities for horizontal and vertical movement, which does, contrary to other reviews, very much exist. You may start of in customer service and wind up in your dream job doing something completely different. You may work on SOA engineering problems, but want to transition to mobile, those types of conversations are welcomed and encouraged. Grated you need to earn it, but once you have, they want to keep you happy.

The office is great and well located, but that is just another ones of those perks of an established company. There is flexibility, to a point, in your work days, which personally i enjoy. The goal is to be available during core business hours for easy communication, but life happens, and you need to work from home on occasion, or leave early and catch up later, all of which are understood.

Lastly, FlipKey has become part of the Vacation Rentals arm of TA, which has expanded the number of good people to work with, solving different problems and gaining experience in different technologies. (yes i was an engineer there). And as a former reviewer already stated, my soul is very much in tact.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve, and many things have changed over time, as is the case when you go from startup to successful business to being part of a larger organization, but with that comes opportunity, so it is up to you. You need to be able to lead your own charge sometimes on assignments. If that is scary to you, it may be difficult, if you're a self-starter, this could be a pro.

A more succinct direction from management the start of the year or the quarter would be great and does not always exist. Not increase revenue by N%, but we're going to tackle X, Y Z projects b/c they help the company in a defined way. The vacation rental landscape is evolving, so not always simple, but should always continue to be a goal.

Advice to Management

Show more people your personal sides. Your days are long and that is hard. I know how much care exists in your day and towards individuals, but not everyone does. With that knowledge you'd get better throughput. How does one do that? Good question, me! I think concrete direction and top down steady communication, where everyone knows the answers to why they are doing what they are doing, will go a long way.

Also make moves quicker on solutions coming from others. Many people know the gaps and inefficiencies in processes and sometimes it makes sense just to take their word for it, when you get a decent quorum, rather than discussing longer than the task would take. Perhaps that involves explaining to people how you want this information delivered to make fast decisions.

These are not easy items, its not an easy job.

Jan 14, 2016 – General Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I’m glad to hear you had a positive experience working at FlipKey for over 5 years. Thanks for all the years of hard work and commitment! Tracey

"Not the company I started at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full Medical and dental, free lunch, 'summer Fridays'

Cons

Palpable stress caused by upper management not knowing product, not listening to their direct reports, sending 'flame mails' to a wide audience of people, making sexist and unprofessional remarks and being mostly uninvolved in everything except budget talks. Zero career development. You're just a 'head,' you're not a person.

Advice to Management

7 people on my team have resigned in the last 10 months. It's not all about free lunches and happy hours anymore.

Jan 19, 2016 – Chief People Officer

I want to immediately apologize for any sexist or unprofessional remarks that you may have experienced while working here. TripAdvisor does not tolerate these type of remarks, and I ask that you ... More

"Steve Kaufer was a great CEO while I was there"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Worked at TA for 4+ years. It was a good ride. For 4 years I was always glad to head to the office in the morning (when that changed, I knew it was time to move on)

Steve Kaufer was the best tech CEO I'v worked for. Didn't get caught up in the details of the technology, but he set challenging engineering goals and kept the company focused on results.

Cons

Engineering management was rarely available and not really supportive.

8. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA

Pros

Awesome benefits and people. Boston office is a great location. Work is always interesting and the industry is constantly changing which keeps things exciting.

Cons

Benefits heavily impact salary and bonus structure. No focus on career growth. Lot of changes due to acquisitions.

"Senior Technical Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Grafton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Grafton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a Java Engineer, then this is a great place to work. You are highly valued and the company strives to make it a better place for you to work.

Cons

If you are not a Java Engineer...

Advice to Management

You do need more than just Java Engineers to run a company.

"If your not a engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brockton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor (Less than a year)

Pros

good food and good snacks alot of free events

Cons

no growth opportunities for positions other then engineer