Tripadvisor Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

3.7
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 107 reviews)

• "Great Benefits, Nice working environment(in 72 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Constant Change in upper management(in 26 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Sexual Orientation

This rating reflects the overall rating of Tripadvisor and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great place to be

Jan 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the people - everyone is smart, curious, and helpful. Leadership has been as transparent as possible during the pandemic, despite how hard travel was hit. It's inspiring to see how many new products and pivots we've made to better serve our users and partners right now.

Cons

Because we had lay offs back in April, we have had a lot of work to do with more limited resources. Even though everyone is motivated and supportive, it's been a bit of a strain.

Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback as well as highlight the commitment of our employees. While periods of transition can be tough to navigate, our leadership team constantly strives to work together to create a strategy that’s best for the business and best for the employees.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

TA: leading change and laser focused on the customer

May 4, 2021 - Vice President Business Operations in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team dynamic, B2B and B2C products, great energy, history of laser focus on the customer, agile, open to voice of the employee, walks the talk on social issues, balanced workforce, value of diversity is lived - not just stated on a poster, open to change, encouraging of new ideas, new approaches.

Cons

Not really any, just being in growth mode coming out of the impact of COVID on the travel industry, and can't hire fast enough!

3. 4.0

Good company; good benefits

Apr 3, 2021 - Customer Care Escalations Agent in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

Medical options with Aetna including a free plan; free life insurance; legal advice benefits plan which you can pay extra for; surrogate and adoption reimbursement to a certain amount; gym reimbursement plan every year with a one time smart watch reimbursement one year up to $600 USD; maternity leave; medical leave; 15 days of vacation increasing after 3 and 7 years if service; incentives for meeting key performance indicators every month; opportunities for promotions in the company; referral plan for new employees where you receive a bonus for the referral after a certain amount of time; 401K match program; company tries to be aware and make us aware of diversity and inclusion

Cons

Pay could be more competitive for what we do; legal advice is very limited in what is included; attendance points do not fall off until after a year on the same date

Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

4. 4.0

Good company

May 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Made lots of friends, and working environment was great.

Cons

Massive layoffs due to poor financial planning.

5. 4.0

Great company to grow

May 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Founder / CEO really cares about the product and the organization

Cons

Could improve strategic vision for diversifying product offering to business and travelers alike

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good company recent college graduates

Apr 30, 2021 - Travel Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance. Room to be creative.

Cons

Over the course of 10 years I have seen several groups laid off.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee

Strong company culture, weak product culture

Apr 30, 2021 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great and talented people to work with, awesome perks, amazing office space,

Cons

Product leadership was lacking, often built things just because someone senior told us to

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lots of inspiration by leadership, old fashioned tactics

Mar 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of fascinating projects to be involved - Very strong vision and passion by leadership - Growth opportunities for people left behind after firing a quarter of the workforce last year - Financial responsibility (sometimes at extreme levels that might hurt long term) - Increased retention benefits (RSUs) - (discontinued) - Known and respected brand - Good tools & technologies available to workforce - Increasing investments in technology after many years of stagnation - Remote work & cohesion among global offices

Cons

- Micromanagement by executives - Lack of transparency in promotions, no independent committees, overall advancement is not tied to performance, but relationship building & persuasion, I often see promotions used as a last resort tactic to retain key employees - Lots of VP and Director hiring from outside with very short tenure and limited long term impact to the organization (who gets evaluated on these choices) ? - Large scale reorganizations every 6 months - Increased hiring abroad without focus on diversity, but cost savings - Significant cost savings from remote work/office closures not passed down to employees - Company's culture evolution has not been a focus - Aside from accelerated RSU vesting/retention incentives (now discontinued), there's no compensation for the Dramatic work/life balance changes caused after the large layoffs

3 people found this review helpful

Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for highlighting the strength of our teams. It's our people that make Tripadvisor a great place to work, so it's always great hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues positively impact their experience. It is unfortunate you believe there is a lack of transparency, as our company was founded on the principle of transparency, and we work hard to ensure internal strategies are communicated and the voices of our employees are heard.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome company, great culture

Apr 8, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Colleagues are smart and awesome - Company culture is great - Good Work-life balance - Free breakfast & lunch, free snacks & coffee

Cons

- For software engineers, sometimes not given enough time to fully polish a feature before go online. We often ship with MVPs due to time limitation.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Used to be great

Nov 10, 2020 - Business Development Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

The coworkers are great. Good Travel perks

Cons

Management is lazy Losing a lot of the perks Tripadvisor was an awesome company when I first started. The people are awesome, the job was cool, free lunch, beer, dogs in the office. On site Gym. Quotas were always big, hardly attainable. But the other perks made up for it. Once covid hit, travel was impacted more than most. Tripadvisor decided to cap the sales team's commission at 30 and 40%. This has been going on for 9 months now. On top of capping commissions at 1/3 of what they should be, they raised quota by 1200%(that's not a typo). The company breed's managers to sit back and do nothing while reaping all the benefits from the reps being overworked. It is nearly impossible to get a manager to actually help you when you need it. With everyone working from home, the cool perks are all gone. No more gym, lunch, after work drinks with coworkers, and they won't be coming back when we do return to the office. My peers are great. If it weren't for them I probable would have left sooner. This is (or was) a pretty good start for someone brand new to sales. This is not an ideal place for a seasoned AE.

6 people found this review helpful

Tripadvisor Response

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience working at Tripadvisor. As you know, one of our core values is that we are always learning and to that end we welcome your feedback. We agree with your point about how incredible the people on the team are. From the front line reps who work tirelessly to help our customers to the leadership supporting and enabling their success, I am proud and grateful for the exceptionally hard work that the team has put in throughout the pandemic. They’re not only supporting our travel partners, but our teammates and the Tripadvisor mission as well. They inspire me daily. As you noted, COVID-19 has been massively destructive to the travel industry and unfortunately the number of new cases are at all time highs. As you state, Sales incentives were reduced during this period but so too were targets as the business understands there have been a reduced number of customers to sell to. The company has in fact paid sales reps for non-selling activities for much of the time during the pandemic. Fortunately many of our teammates have been able to adapt to the new environment and are exceeding their targets and Tripadvisor has launched new products and offerings that will help our partners weather the pandemic and get on the path to recovery. Travel will resume, and when it does there will be pent up demand and our partners and our team will thrive. We all look forward to effective vaccines and the opportunity to travel again. And when that happens I’m sure we’ll be back in the office, enjoying many of the perks and camaraderie that we all miss. Thank you again for your feedback, your contribution to Tripadvisor and best of luck in your career. Gradie

Viewing 1 - 10 of 829 Reviews